Fresh Grabs

Another month, another series of expenditures. Not quite as costly as last month, thankfully.

July Acquisitions

Ambient + jazz

Lemon Quartet - Crestless
Chick Corea - Now he Sings, Now he Sobs

View attachment 59371

Thank you to @Mr Moore for posting about Crestless in a Fresh Grabs post and tagging me. Lovely ambient record with plenty of saxophone weaved in. Perhaps my favorite on the Last Resort label.
Got the Chick Corea on a cheapie Amazon deal, and it is still sealed from bundling it with the past N&G RotM. Will get to listening to this soon.

uDiscover freebies
Selena Gomez - Revival
Guns n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Bon Jovi - Lost Highway
Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band - Night Moves
Sting - Mercury Falling
Pete Yorn - Arrangingtime

View attachment 59372

Acquired due to uDiscover's mistake(?) of pricing for no cost and free shipping. I have no intention of keeping any of these past this year, and will not add these to my Discogs collection. They are all sealed except for Guns n' Roses as I wanted to hear its sound quality and it is rough.

N&G RotMs
Fugazi - In on the Kill Taker
Khemmis - Hunted
Max Richter - Recomposed by Max Richter: Vivaldi - The Four Seasons

View attachment 59373

Much love to @Thackeraye, @Goatfish, and @Alexander for their excellent RotM choices.

Current Year pickups (all women!)

Fiona Apple - Fetch the Bolt Cutters
HAIM - Women in Music: Part III
Lianne La Havas - Lianne Las Havas
Rina Sawayama - Sawayama
View attachment 59375

I'm one of those who got Fiona's album from her webstore and was unsuccessful in my numerous efforts to cancel. Although thankfully, it is a well-pressed record, and sounds fantastic.
Loving the new HAIM...far more than their first two albums. The stretch of tracks on side B from "Gasoline" to "Another Try" is ace.
My praise for Lianna La Havas's new album is exceedingly high. The neo-soul record that I wanted from this year. I think what catches my attention most about her vocal style is that it seems naturally effortless, as in just pure, raw talent. Her cover of Radiohead's "Weird Fishes/Arpeggi" is quite captivating.
To be honest, I'm kind of mixed on Rina's debut. There are moments for me where it doesn't do enough to grab my attention, but that's not to say there aren't dazzling highlights ("Love Me 4 Me," "Tokyo Love Hotel," and "STFU!" in particular). The vinyl quality isn't all that, either.

Dua(l) Lipa(s) - Future Nostalgia [x2]
Jessie Ware - What's Your Pleasure?

View attachment 59374

Got two more of the pink vinyl Future Nostalgia from the Target sale for just under $15 a pop, one for me and one for a friend. Looking like the pink vinyl will be unavailable soon. Still unquestionably not just one of my favorite pop records of the year, but overall favorites of the year. But it just misses out on being my favorite pop album of the year because of...
...the existence of Jessie Ware's What's Your Pleasure? spellbinding me on first listen. My favorite LP of the year so far. The perfect marriage of dance-pop and disco in a 53-minute package. I can easily see myself listening to this a decade later and it still sounding fresh.

Miscellaneous pickups

Actress - Splazsh
Bjork - Debut
Bjork - Homogenic
View attachment 59376

Actress is a UK electronic musician specializing in techno and electro-industrial tunes, and Splazsh might be the most engaging record he has made. Bought it during a Bandcamp waived fee day, along with the Bjork records.

Fugazi - Repeater
Caroline Rose - Loner
Sleep - Dopesmoker
Stereolab - Dots and Loops

View attachment 59377

Bought Repeater last week to accompany the related Fugazi N&G RotM and found it sealed for only $15!
Thanks to the Online Vinyl Deals thread, New West Records had a sale on their inventory and Loner was priced at $7.99. Although shipping was $6.60, it was nice to support a label and get a colored record that I've been eyeing for < $15.
Found a 2012 green vinyl 2xLP reissue of the iconic Dopesmoker at 2nd Ave Records for $31. Right around market price, and sounds pretty fantastic for 80+ minutes of stoner metal.
Took a chance on the Dots and Loops based on how many seem to like Stereolab's music here. Still have yet to listen, but will get to it soon. For 3xLP and giant poster, this is a great value for $27.
If you want to pass that Selena on my way i certainly wouldn’t mind. Kept sleeping on it now it’s all sold out.

Fu Manchu ‎– Fu30, Pt.1
Goblin ‎– George A. Romero's Dawn of the Dead (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

Cheers to @Thackeraye for posting about the Fu30 anniversary series in an earlier Fresh Grab. Love the Doobie Bros. "Takin' It to the Streets" cover and look forward to the Fu's cover choices on the next two Fu30 releases.

Goblin's Dario Argento horror soundtracks are classics but I love their OST of Romero's Dawn just as much. It's different -- less prog and more rock-forward, less "scary" and more "action-y," and I like the odd song-style surprises sprinkled throughout. I've owned the Cinevox CD for a long time but was glad to add the recent Waxwork repress of their 2018 Deluxe Edition before it quickly sold out.

IMG_4895.jpg

IMG_4936.jpg

Last edited:
Drowning in vinyl.

I've Really indulged in the last few weeks. Picked up a bunch of packages from the Packstation today morning. A few of these came last week so I've also included them in the post.

I didn't expect Phoenix to go out of print from VMP but it's one of my favourite albums and supposedly the VMP one is definitive. Also major thanks to @Skalap for helping me with the amazing wax buyers variant of Skull Session - glad I missed the vmp one.
IMG_20200803_124544.jpg

Good deal from Amazon.com for the Chick Corea but it arrived with a massive seam split. The idea was to get a replacement and PIF this one but Amazon offered a full refund instead.

Atlas - Breeze is an awesome electronic/new wave/ jazz release from studio mule. I wanted to order this with my pre-order for midnight in tokyo vol. 1 from Kompakt but it went out of stock when the other one came into stock. A bit annoying but I saw a mint copy for cheaper than what Kompakt had on discogs so I snapped it up. I recommend this one for fans of the Midnight in Tokyo series.
IMG_20200803_120901.jpg

This was the huge box that came in from a friend. We "group buy" together to save on international shipping and imports. It's stuff I've ordered over the last 6-7 months and once it hits 5kg he sends them over. Amazing friend!!

Derapwinkel releases for Josef Leimberg and Terrace Martin. Tbh I feel a bit sick about what these cost as I was caught up in the hype and I probably won't order more from them until their prices get more reasonable.

Nujabes - Modal Soul and the Dinked Edition of Moses Boyd, which is among my favourite albums of the year

Pair of Caribou exclusives from VMP and Rough Trade respectively.

The Chicago Edition of Wilco's Ode to Joy and EOB's debut. A nice surprise to find the RT exclusive of Yumi Zouma was signed.

IMG_20200803_100626.jpg
IMG_20200803_100651.jpg
IMG_20200803_100711.jpg
IMG_20200803_100741.jpg

This is what happens when you're trying to reach minimum free shipping at places. Vinyl Digital has it at 70€, I'm glad I didn't buy a copy off discogs for the Little People after having it on my wantlist for a while. Really cheap good deals on their clearance for the DotA and Gloaming albums, as well as the Morti Viventear album which I heard about when he promoted it on Reddit a while back. The art work can be viewed with the 3D glasses which is pretty cool.

IMG_20200803_120732.jpg
IMG_20200803_120751.jpg

VMP also decided to turn up in two separate packages.
IMG_20200803_120812.jpg

I'm just delighted my turntable is working again as it's going to be put to use. Have a few days of staycation coming up as well so it's going to be good times spinning and hopefully staying clear of deals and pre-order threads.

Back