Fresh Grabs

I had an alert at 1am this morning to say an order had been delivered to my buildings post room. Thought it to be quite odd as I checked the room earlier in the day, but when I went downstairs this morning it was there!

Charles Mingus - The Complete Candid Recordings Of Charles Mingus (Mosaic, 1985 Limited Box Set)
Ike Quebec And John Hardee - The Complete Blue Note Forties Recordings Of Ike Quebec And John Hardee (Mosaic, 1984 Limited Box Set)
Wynton Kelly Trio, Wes Montgomery - Smokin' In Seattle Live At The Penthouse (Resonance Records, 2019 Limited Pressing)
Jazz Journal Magazine - April 1972 Vol: 25 No: 4

Well this is exciting, my first Mosaic box sets. The Mingus looks to be a fantastic set of tracks that covers his 1960 Candid years (with Eric Dolphy). The set is in great shape without the usual rips or creases etc, the booklet looks like a really good document, and the records have 'Mastered by Van Gelder' in the deadwax which is a fantastic surprise. The Ike Quebec and John Hardee is almost split into 2 styles, little known swing sessions from Hardee and small group sessions from Quebec just prior to him taking a leave of absence (due to drugs) in 1950. The box and booklet are also in great shape! The Wynton Kelly / Wes Montgomery release from Resonance is really top stuff, with an extensive booklet and heavyweight vinyl. Finally, I forgot to mention I picked up this great jazz magazine in the week from 1972. The main attraction is an extensive write up on Lee Morgan, who had just been killed prior to the release of this issue.

IMG_6744.JPG

I had an alert at 1am this morning to say an order had been delivered to my buildings post room. Thought it to be quite odd as I checked the room earlier in the day, but when I went downstairs this morning it was there!

Charles Mingus - The Complete Candid Recordings Of Charles Mingus (Mosaic, 1985 Limited Box Set)
Ike Quebec And John Hardee - The Complete Blue Note Forties Recordings Of Ike Quebec And John Hardee (Mosaic, 1984 Limited Box Set)
Wynton Kelly Trio, Wes Montgomery - Smokin' In Seattle Live At The Penthouse (Resonance Records, 2019 Limited Pressing)
Jazz Journal Magazine - April 1972 Vol: 25 No: 4

Well this is exciting, my first Mosaic box sets. The Mingus looks to be a fantastic set of tracks that covers his 1960 Candid years (with Eric Dolphy). The set is in great shape without the usual rips or creases etc, the booklet looks like a really good document, and the records have 'Mastered by Van Gelder' in the deadwax which is a fantastic surprise. The Ike Quebec and John Hardee is almost split into 2 styles, little known swing sessions from Hardee and small group sessions from Quebec just prior to him taking a leave of absence (due to drugs) in 1950. The box and booklet are also in great shape! The Wynton Kelly / Wes Montgomery release from Resonance is really top stuff, with an extensive booklet and heavyweight vinyl. Finally, I forgot to mention I picked up this great jazz magazine in the week from 1972. The main attraction is an extensive write up on Lee Morgan, who had just been killed prior to the release of this issue.

View attachment 45621
Smokin’ In Seattle looks like a fun Jazz record [pulls it up on Discogs, cheapest available $75]...Maybe it will get reissued at some point.

Smokin’ In Seattle looks like a fun Jazz record [pulls it up on Discogs, cheapest available $75]...Maybe it will get reissued at some point.
The Resonance Records tend to be on the pricier side (they are usually RSD releases) but the quality is definitely there. They sound amazing, the music tends to be unreleased sessions, and the booklet is always fascinating. Worth looking around, I got this copy for £23.99.

thanks guys , i didnt even realize that they were released by the same label until i added them on discogs.
feels good to make some room in the shelf and adding two nice records at the time while leaving the money at the store.

edit: it also feels wrong to leave a record store with more money

I miss visiting my local record shops. Most will open next Monday but it will be pure madness in Paris next week.

Back