Fresh Grabs

Exciting sets of packages arrived over the past few days.

The National - Cherry Tree Vol. 2 (The National, 2020 Cherry Tree Members Box Set)
First up is the National's Cherry Tree Vol. 2. I have been patiently waiting for this and it has finally arrived. Looks like a fantastic set as well. Spoilers were inevitable so I had a good idea of what to expect, but I didn't realise it came in a box/slipcase, which is really fantastic quality. I'm supposed to be seeing them live next month and its not yet been cancelled....

IMG_6723.JPG

Archie Shepp - Four For Trane (Impulse!, 1965 First Mono Pressing)
Dolly Parton - Jolene (RCA Victor, 2019 VMP Exclusive Pressing)

Archie Shepp is a dream find. Not only is it the mono pressing but it's also in FANTASTIC shape, it honestly looks like a brand new record and gatefold, not a single mark, stain, etc other than the tiniest mark in the corner. I bought it for £21 and looking on discogs an average copy goes for 4 times that (and I would imagine this copy to warrant a higher price). Jolene is, and will always be, a jam in my book. I got this in the VMP sale!

IMG_6726.JPG

Lee Morgan - His Life, Music and Culture by Tom Perchard (Equinox Publishing, 2006)
Oscar Peterson (Jazz Masters) by Richard Palmer (Spellmount Publishers, 1984)
Stan Getz (Jazz Masters) by Richard Palmer (Seven Hills Books, 1991)
Down Beat Jazz Record Reviews Vol. 3 (Maher Publications, 1959)
I Walked with Giants: The Autobiography of Jimmy Heath (Temple University Press, 2010)

From previous posts, you guys might already know that I'm a sucker for a good book, especially musical biographies. I have previously read a fantastic Lee Morgan biography which I thought to be the only one out there until I stumbled across this. The 2 Jazz Masters (Oscar Peterson & Stan Getz) are part of a fantastic series of smaller biographies which are incredibly well written and I seem to devour at an alarming rate. The Jimmy Heath has been on my watch list for a while but must have only been printed in a small run as the resale value is insane. Luckily this cheaper copy popped up and I pounced on it. The star find here though is the Down Beat Jazz Record Reviews Vol. 3. I already have volumes 5 & 6 (which were printed as hardback books) but the others have alluded me. When they do appear they sell for crazy amounts and tend to be in poor condition (I've seen them sell for upwards of £90 EACH). I saw this listed online at a crazy price of 9 Euros and took the gamble. Turned up yesterday and its the actual thing I was expecting in great shape for a 51 year-old softback.

IMG_6725.JPG

Amazon had a sale so decided to stop dragging my feet and grab a copy of this which was my introduction to Denzel Curry. Saw Zuu is (was?) On sale for decent price too which has been hard to hold off on / I actually wasn't the biggest fan of that album which is why I didn't grab VMP variant.

20200507_211201.jpg

View attachment 45568

One step closer to that complete Second Quintet collection... Miles in the Sky is the only studio album I'm missing now, but I'll probably grab the Plugged Nickel record first.
Miles In The Sky had a decent reissue from Music on Vinyl recently. And I managed to find both Plugged Nickel sets in shops in Sweden cheaply so you'd hope they were fairly priced on Discogs. They're absolutely worth it.

Mail day! My GF managed to pick up my packages today. Thanks again @Crabbers , arrived safely and looks awesome. Can't wait to play it once my TT is back! Plus the inaugural ROTM from N&G(plus a bonus track!) Chosen by our very own @Skalap ! I'm very behind on getting the rest of the ROTM but it's something I'm going to change very soon.IMG_20200507_224831.jpg

Mail day! My GF managed to pick up my packages today. Thanks again @Crabbers , arrived safely and looks awesome. Can't wait to play it once my TT is back! Plus the inaugural ROTM from N&G(plus a bonus track!) Chosen by our very own @Skalap ! I'm very behind on getting the rest of the ROTM but it's something I'm going to change very soon.View attachment 45603
Hot damn, very jealous of the Goldeneye 🔫🔥 - congratulations! Look forward to the future What's Spinning post on it. Didn't realise Heritage was the initial ROTM here either, saw it on a recent What's Spinning and it's been on my "to buy" list since checking it out from that. Brilliant haul 💪

Hot damn, very jealous of the Goldeneye 🔫🔥 - congratulations! Look forward to the future What's Spinning post on it. Didn't realise Heritage was the initial ROTM here either, saw it on a recent What's Spinning and it's been on my "to buy" list since checking it out from that. Brilliant haul 💪

You better purchase Heritage 1&2 😏

Only reason it's still on the list is because I'd be getting both at the same time 😉 wallet is trying not to think of records for a bit despite my best efforts.

These are almost every month on sale at HHV in Germany. You may want to wait until the end of the month and have a look.

These are almost every month on sale at HHV in Germany. You may want to wait until the end of the month and have a look.
Oh wow, for some reason didn't even think to look outside of bandcamp for this! Thank you. The first is out of stock but will be keeping my eye on them there too, especially in the sales. Much appreciated.

Back