Fresh Grabs

Don Byrd & Gigi Gryce - Modern Jazz Perspective (Columbia, 1957 First Mono Pressing)
Richard Spaven - Spaven's 5ive (Jazz Re:Freshed, 2020 RSD Limited Clear Pressing)
Lee Konitz - Motion (Verve Records, 1961 First Mono Pressing)
Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers With Barney Wilen - Soundtrack From The Film 'Dangerous Friendships' - Les Liaisons Dangereuses (Fontana, 1960 First Pressing)
Roy Haynes - Americans In Sweden Vol. 3 (Esquire, 1954 First 7" Pressing)

A hearty mix of jazz arrived today. The 'Don Bryd'(Donald Byrd) & Gigi Gryce is an interesting one, with an INCREDIBLE line-up which includes Wynton Kelly, Wendall Marshall, Julius Watkins, Sahib Shihab, Jimmy Cleveland, etc. Spaven's 5ive was penned for a RSD release but seems to of shipped early. Its one of the early releases from London based Jazz Re:Refeshed but has now seen a vinyl pressing for the first time. I have to admit to being a bit of a novice when it comes to Lee Konitz, having never really listened to his music. After his recent passing, I decided to dig deep and really enjoy what I have heard, so I picked up this copy of his 'Motion' album. The Art Blakey is an interesting one, and this is now my second copy (my original is shown in the photo), as it was banned from the US for several years and only saw a France and UK release in 1960. Its actually a really rare record, when I first got my first copy there was only a handful on Discogs in the US only and listed at crazy prices. I managed to get the second copy at a steal and will add it to my 'swap' pile to hopefully trade for some other jazz record in the future. Finally, I have this cool 7" record which features Roy Haynes, Sahib Shihab, Joe Benjamin playing with some Swedish musicians. Great stuff!

IMG_6836.JPG

Last edited:
Don Byrd & Gigi Gryce - Modern Jazz Perspective (Columbia, 1957 First Mono Pressing)
Richard Spaven - Spaven's 5ive (Jazz Re:Freshed, 2020 RSD Limited Clear Pressing)
Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers With Barney Wilen - Soundtrack From The Film 'Dangerous Friendships' - Les Liaisons Dangereuses (Fontana, 1960 First Pressing)

A hearty mix of jazz arrived today. The 'Don Bryd'(Donald Byrd) & Gigi Gryce is an interesting one, with an INCREDIBLE line-up which includes Wynton Kelly, Wendall Marshall, Julius Watkins, Sahib Shihab, Jimmy Cleveland, etc. Spaven's 5ive was penned for a RSD release but seems to of shipped early. Its one of the early releases from London based Jazz Re:Refeshed but has now seen a vinyl pressing for the first time. I have to admit to being a bit of a novice when it comes to Lee Koniz, having never really listened to his music. After his recent passing, I decided to dig deep and really enjoy what I have heard, so I picked up this copy of his 'Motion' album. The Art Blakey is an interesting one, and this is now my second copy (my original is shown in the photo), as it was banned from the US for several years and only saw a France and UK release in 1960. Its actually a really rare record, when I first got my first copy there was only a handful on Discogs in the US only and listed at crazy prices. I managed to get the second copy at a steal and will add it to my 'swap' pile to hopefully trade for some other jazz record in the future. Finally, I have this cool 7" record which features Roy Haynes, Sahib Shihab, Joe Benjamin playing with some Swedish musicians. Great stuff!

View attachment 46279
I absolutely love all of the Esquire covers. Sadly, they are quite expensive to get in the US.

I absolutely love all of the Esquire covers. Sadly, they are quite expensive to get in the US.
They are fantastic but are also crazy expensive over here as well, almost always selling for more than their US counterparts. It's funny because they used the same details of the original US metalwork and sonically they sound the same. I definitely love the cover art as well, and have been very close to buying a load in the past but always leaving them last minute (price is always killer!)

A hearty mix of jazz arrived today. The 'Don Bryd'(Donald Byrd) & Gigi Gryce is an interesting one, with an INCREDIBLE line-up which includes Wynton Kelly, Wendall Marshall, Julius Watkins, Sahib Shihab, Jimmy Cleveland, etc. Spaven's 5ive was penned for a RSD release but seems to of shipped early. Its one of the early releases from London based Jazz Re:Refeshed but has now seen a vinyl pressing for the first time. I have to admit to being a bit of a novice when it comes to Lee Koniz, having never really listened to his music. After his recent passing, I decided to dig deep and really enjoy what I have heard, so I picked up this copy of his 'Motion' album. The Art Blakey is an interesting one, and this is now my second copy (my original is shown in the photo), as it was banned from the US for several years and only saw a France and UK release in 1960. Its actually a really rare record, when I first got my first copy there was only a handful on Discogs in the US only and listed at crazy prices. I managed to get the second copy at a steal and will add it to my 'swap' pile to hopefully trade for some other jazz record in the future. Finally, I have this cool 7" record which features Roy Haynes, Sahib Shihab, Joe Benjamin playing with some Swedish musicians. Great stuff!

View attachment 46279

Patiently waiting for my Richard Spaven :)

Norah Jones - Come Away With Me

I made the mistake of signing up for VMP again (I really wanted Phrenology). None of the VMP records I chose have been put in my Orders, let alone sent, but they did manage to get this all the way to Norway before any of that. It's the Analogue Productions set and it sounds absolutely wonderful, as many of you said. I haven't listened to this in years - it's like slipping into some old, comfortable shoes.

20200511_152056.jpg

Norah Jones - Come Away With Me

I made the mistake of signing up for VMP again (I really wanted Phrenology). None of the VMP records I chose have been put in my Orders, let alone sent, but they did manage to get this all the way to Norway before any of that. It's the Analogue Productions set and it sounds absolutely wonderful, as many of you said. I haven't listened to this in years - it's like slipping into some old, comfortable shoes.

View attachment 46323

Can't wait to receive my copy as well. My VMP parcel cleared customs 10 days ago but no movement since... Meanwhile I finally received two long-awaited parcels. One came from BBE in London and took almost one month, second came from T5Jazz in Japan and took two months.

Jean-Claude is the head of If Music and he made fun of us forumers when we met him @Mr Moore and I last summer. Anyway, he is also a man of great taste when it comes to clothes and music. He curates several BBE compilation including these three dedicated to jazz. Then there are Ralph Thomas and JayDee records and the last of the J-Jazz Masterclass serie.

IMG_20200511_205133.jpg

Directly from T5Jazz label are these three highly recommended releases of Yosuke Onuma, Jun Miyakawa and Selim Slive Elementz.

IMG_20200511_205212.jpg

Back