Fresh Grabs

A killer pile of packages today. Been after some of these for years.

The Ornette Coleman Trio - At the Golden Circle Vol 1. (1965 Blue Note. Van Gelder stamp. Plastylite Ear)
Saw this on discogs for a super (suspiciously) reasonable price. The sleeve was marked G+ and the record a VG and its wayyyyy better than that. There's a bit of tape residue on the back of the sleeve and I can't see a single issue with the record other than a slight discolouration the size of a 5p. It has the Van Gelder stamp and the P. Super Super Super happy with this.

The Famous Sound Of Three Blind Mice Vol. 1 (2018 reissue)
@Skalap turned me on to this one. Japanese jazz compilation reissued for the first time on vinyl and limited to 3000 copies. This sold out as far as I can tell and I was lucky enough to pick this up for under half its discogs median. Cant wait to dig in.

William Onyeabor - Anything You Sow (1985 OG pressing on Wilfilms Records)
Ive been a big Onyeabor fan for years and im always on the lookout for OG pressings of his albums. This is the final album he released and was pressed in Enugu, Nigeria.

The Descendants Of Mike And Phoebe ‎– A Spirit Speaks (Superfly Records Reissue)
Continuing to build the Superfly collection, this is a soul-jazz rarity from 1974 originally on Strata-East.

Pastor T. L. Barrett And The Youth For Christ Choir ‎– Like A Ship... (Without A Sail)
This isn't the VMP pressing, its actually a sealed 2010 pressing from Light In The Attic which includes a 7" single. Not sure the seller knew this when they listed it and I was one of the few bidders so picked it up at a decent price.

Mail call. Picked both these up from Amoeba. On top is The Parcels self-titles debut album. They are Aussie ex-pat residing in Western Europe (Belgium maybe) and they are great they have a laid back yet funk-lite feel. It seems like a record Daft Punk would sample if they did a sequel to Random Access Memories. I also get a little bit of Phoenix and Kings of Convenience vibe from them too. I found out about them from a You Tube suggestion following play of a video by...the bottom LP Altin Gun this is a Turkish psych pop band they are super funky and a bit exotic. I have been hitting the world music scene quite a bit and it’s nice to get some music from some other distant locals.

Let us know how they sound! I have one or two Japanese reissues but don’t think I have any Blue Notes. Always intrigued but it’s yet another rabbit hole for me to go down so up until now I have resisted. You grab them on discogs or eBay?
Update - I've listened to the McCoy Tyner and it sounds fantastic. I'm not an audiophile nor do I have an audiophile setup but it's dead quiet, clear and dynamic to my ears. I'm very happy overall, and after a couple of glasses of wine last night I did stumble a little further down that rabbit hole, got a couple more coming 🙊

Some fresh carboot hauls (the 7") and a record I picked up cheap on ebay last night (somehow got to me in the post this morning which is crazy fast)!

Kimiko Kasai With Herbie Hancock ‎– Butterfly (2018 limited edition remaster/reissue).
I have had this on my want list for ages, mainly for Herbie but im sure Kimiko's singing will be great. I managed to get tickets to see Herbie Hancock perform later this year at the fabulous Barbican Concert Hall here in London.

7" Haul from this mornings carboot. Picked them all up dead cheap (50p each) and its a pretty rare occurance to find jazz 7" at this place so pretty excited to have these. Here we have:
Marvin Gaye - Abraham, Martin & John / How Can I Forget (Tamla Motown)
Ann Peebles - Run, Run, Run / (You Keep Me) Hangin' On (London)
Kate Bush - Them Heavy People. Dont Push Your Foot on the Heartbreak / James and the Cold Gun. L'Amour Looks Something Like You (EMI - this is a gatefold sleeve)
Bobby Boris Picket - Monster Mash / Monster Mash Party (London - a novely record for those in the know, fun but silly stuff)
Gerry Mulligan Quartet - I May Be Wrong. Jeru / Darn That Dream. Swing House (Vogue Records)
Ella & Louis - Moonlight in Vermont. Can't We Be Friends / Under a Blanket of Blue. Stars Fell on Alabama (His Masters Voice)
Ella & Louis Again - I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm. Im Puttin' All My Eggs In One Basket / A Fine Romance. Love is Here to Stay (His Masters Voice)
Ella & Louis - Summertime / Oh, Doctor Jesus. I Got Plenty O' Nuttin' (His Masters Voice)

View attachment 2439
Mail call. Picked both these up from Amoeba. On top is The Parcels self-titles debut album. They are Aussie ex-pat residing in Western Europe (Belgium maybe) and they are great they have a laid back yet funk-lite feel. It seems like a record Daft Punk would sample if they did a sequel to Random Access Memories. I also get a little bit of Phoenix and Kings of Convenience vibe from them too. I found out about them from a You Tube suggestion following play of a video by...the bottom LP Altin Gun this is a Turkish psych pop band they are super funky and a bit exotic. I have been hitting the world music scene quite a bit and it’s nice to get some music from some other distant locals.

I love that Parcels album! Need to pick that one up.

image.jpeg

My Ok Go vinyl arrived last week, after spending three weeks in Germany because international shipping makes no sense at all. The golden Oh No looks gorgeous.
And one of the albums I've wanted my whole life to have it on vinyl: Haunted, by Poe. It sounds AMAZING.
But:
As Books-a-million doesn't send stuff to Argentina, I had to send it to the house of a friend of a friend who lives in NY and came this week to Argentina for holidays. So he bring the vinyl to me and.. I HAVE TWO DISC 1.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
It's already sold out so fuuuuuuuuuuuuck how can I be so unlucky!?

Back