Fresh Grabs

Purchased some Floyd to replace my older somewhat worn copy. This is my 2nd favorite album by them, behind Animals of course. $14 for this reissue. BG in the deadwax and mastered from the analogue tapes. Sounds wonderful. Excellent pressing.
1231191606_HDR~2.jpg

Tortoise - TNT (2xLP). Pressing looks superb.
Been trying to track this down for many moons. I need them layered grooves, them textures, in my life.
1231191601a~2.jpg

the last grabs of 2019...
3FF6F783-7021-46D2-81D1-FBBA04C5E466.jpeg
Neil Young - Tonight’s The Night
Television - Marquee Moon

Since I no longer subscribe to VMP I went ahead and just purchased some stuff off my want list on Discogs. I absolutely love both of these albums and though I was happy for the most part with my experience of purchasing albums from Magnolia Thunderpussy, I will say they did slightly mixed up my order; the Marquee Moon I ordered was supposed to be the RTI Chis Bellman cut single disc pressing but I was sent the more recent 2xLP pressing done in blue wax and while not cut by CB is still supposed to sound great plus it comes with some extra tunes so I can’t say that I am dissatisfied.
2E2AD832-12A3-48E0-8288-E746A7DA103F.jpeg
Idles - A Beautiful Thing: Idles Live at le Bataclan
Stephen Malamus & The Jicks - Real Emotional Trash
20% off coupon from my LRS (Hi-Voltage). The Jicks record was an exciting and unexpected find.
3BB02DC4-4420-490E-ACB2-DA75C49FDAC0.jpeg

Ron Wood - I’ve Got My Own Album To Do
John Frusciante - Curtains

Ron Wood’s album is great it was something I took a flyer on at the B&N 50% off sale and I am glad I did. The Frusciante is an Amazon replacement I had to order after returning the Amazon Warehouse deal copy I received that had a shipping label. Slapped right on the fronof the jacket. Definitely not worth the $2 savings for “like new” copy they were advertising. Still I love this record and and glad to own it on wax.

Last of these posts from me for at least a month! All acquired around the middle to end of December.

Ambient pickups:

Shabason / Gunning - Muldrew
Grouper - A I A: Dream Loss
Tim Hecker - Harmony in Ultraviolet

20200101_001128.jpg

I got another recommendation from Plastique with Muldrew, and I wasn't sure what to think of it initially. It's still taking time to appreciate, but there is definitely something there...hopefully it'll click in a month or so! A little more experimental in this genre than I'm used to.
Still not the biggest fan of the first part of the A I A double album, but it was great to see this for $15 (more than fair) at a local. Now I have both parts! Of course, supporting a Portland musician is a plus.
Also found for $15 used at the same local, the Hecker 2xLP Kranky reissue was one I passed on earlier, and wish I hadn't! Modern classic.

Jazz pickups (courtesy of uDiscover Music):

Andrew Hill - Black Fire
Johnny Griffin - Introducing Johnny Griffin
Joe Henderson - In 'N Out
Joe Henderson - The State of the Tenor - Live at the Village Vanguard - Vol. 2

20200101_001941.jpg

Not much to be said here. All of these titles have been nice additions to the BN80/BNTP catalogue. In particular, the Johnny Griffin record is growing on me fast!

Other pickups + VMP package:

Queens of the Stone Age - Songs For the Deaf
Angel Olsen - Burn Your Fire For No Witness
City Girl - Neon Impasse

20200101_001703.jpg

Final VMP RotM arrived and plays well with no cosmetic/audio defects. Glad to be done with this chapter.
Diving back in to Angel's earlier work, you can definitely hear how her voice and instrumental change has evolved over the past few years. Happy to have this one finally. This was gifted to me by a good friend I worked with at a job 2 years ago.
I heard about Neon Impasse from the preorder thread here, and was hooked with the lo-fi beats + production. However, with the turning of the new year, I will certainly discourage myself from impulse purchases like this for the future. Still a neat album to relax to, or get chores done!

View attachment 27981

Rifflord ‘26 Mean and Heavy’ Not so std edition.

Cold ‘The Things We Can’t Stop’. Strong comeback. Great cover. Decided to grab a gold version from Napalm USA. Last I knew they had 11 left.

That Cold album is incredible. I grabbed the black press from Target with a gift card I had. Really impressed by it, very mellow and emotional.

Sonny Rollins - East Broadway Run Down is not spoken about as often as it should be. It's maybe top 3 in his catalogue. Definitely top 5. I scored this OG stereo with Van Gelder stamp for what should be way too cheap.
View attachment 27974

Finally starting to pickup the new Stereolab reissues. Looks to be very nice quality.

Such a killer album. I picked this up just before Christmas as well and I couldn't believe how reasonably priced it is, especially considering the price of his other albums around the same period.

One of my favourite Waldrons! Did you ever get around to listening to the new Free At Last Extended Edition which you picked up a few weeks back? Its at the top of my want list but im waiting until I go to town to pick it up.

Did you ever get around to listening to the new Free At Last Extended Edition which you picked up a few weeks back? Its at the top of my want list but im waiting until I go to town to pick it up.

I did and it’s really nice. Keep it on your list. Also on ECM but newer, check out Sun of Goldfinger by David Torn et al. Superb stuff that I’m streaming the hell out of. It’s 3 very long tracks and unfortunately the vinyl only features two of them so I’ve held off.

I don’t know what the rules here are for using the word “grails” here, but if it’s against the written law, well, that’s 40 lashes for me!

8C79CA1B-9801-42CC-B8C8-ABDB27D84181.jpeg

2020 has already granted me two records way high on my wantlist, both of which have not been easy to find for years. My plan to hold back on buying new records? Down the drain!

This Acoustic Sounds reissue of Kate Bush’s Hounds of Love has always met equal scorn and praise from audiophiles with vastly better equipment than I. This was high on my list for the mastering job by Steve Hoffman & Kevin Gray, but I’ll be real - this one was really worth it for the pink marble variant alone. Like plenty of people, this is an all-time fave, so I have an early UK copy at the ready if this one has the same surface noise issues as a lot of copies apparently do. Prices fluctuate on Discogs but scored this for a neat $30! (US$23)

The album on the right was a one-off project serving as a soundtrack to The Adventure of Kohsuke Kindaichi, a 70s detective pulp anime with a long history in Japanese fiction, and - like many other brilliant music finds from Japan - I stumbled upon this years ago on YouTube. Unlike a lot of slick jazz-fusion soundtracks, where themes and ideas take precedence over fully-formed songs, this one is packed with smooth jams and grooves, ornamented with ghostly flutes and psychedelic guitar licks. This was done by The Mystery Kindaichi Band, a band with little info available aside from involving two prominent soundtrack musicians. Definitely one to dig into if you love 70s-era Piero Umiliani and Franco Micalizzi!

It got one very limited reissue by HMV in 2015 before going out-of-print (with $100+ copies emerging once in a while online), along with several unofficial European editions, but HMV bucked up with a new repress. A local record store had this at an import price I could swallow down. I need nothing else!

Bonus pic because this variant is gorgeous!!

D5783178-83D4-4771-9CF1-F8FDE0CCAB5E.jpeg

It's always nice to return from holidays to a good stash of records.

Mogadisco
The latest fab compilation from my favourite reissue label, Analog Africa. I have a few Somali kids in the football teams I train so not sure if this will give me any cred with them...

Gestu de Dakar
The first of an exciting series of reissues from Senegal's Syllart label. I don't know this one so well but the one track I found sounded tasty. Orchestre Baobab is still to come in February.

Angelique Kidjo - Remain In The Light
Not sure why I didn't already have this but glad I do now.

Igor and the Hippie Land - Love & Chaos
The surprise of the bunch - my former colleague used to be a punk rocker and now writes lyrics for this French group and she sent me their latest record for Christmas. A v nice thing to come back to.

20200102_201029.jpg

It's always nice to return from holidays to a good stash of records.

Mogadisco
The latest fab compilation from my favourite reissue label, Analog Africa. I have a few Somali kids in the football teams I train so not sure if this will give me any cred with them...

Gestu de Dakar
The first of an exciting series of reissues from Senegal's Syllart label. I don't know this one so well but the one track I found sounded tasty. Orchestre Baobab is still to come in February.

Angelique Kidjo - Remain In The Light
Not sure why I didn't already have this but glad I do now.

Igor and the Hippie Land - Love & Chaos
The surprise of the bunch - my former colleague used to be a punk rocker and now writes lyrics for this French group and she sent me their latest record for Christmas. A v nice thing to come back to.

View attachment 28254

ahh, i also want the Mogadisco. it probably has too little autotune to be popular with young somalis though :D

After seeing some of the Barnes and Noble finds from their sales, I stopped by the one by my office today and picked up the following:

Pearl Jam - Backspacer
Oasis - Don't Believe the Truth
George Harrison - Brainwashed
Bob Weir - Blue Mountain

Only had a few minutes on my way to the train so I may swing by and give another look tomorrow.

After seeing some of the Barnes and Noble finds from their sales, I stopped by the one by my office today and picked up the following:

Pearl Jam - Backspacer
Oasis - Don't Believe the Truth
George Harrison - Brainwashed
Bob Weir - Blue Mountain

Only had a few minutes on my way to the train so I may swing by and give another look tomorrow.
Dont believe the truth. Summer 05 City of Manchester Stadium (Etihad now) unreal 🔥 take me back 😭

Back