Fresh Grabs

El Afrocombo - Pan Con Salsa

Another Colombian reissue from the fabulous Vampi Soul label.

African Brothers Band - Odo Me Nsee

Album no 24 from this remarkably consistent, shimmering group. If you're interested in highlife they're an absolute must check-out. Got this alongside some gifts for my Secret Santa so heading to the Post Office shortly with the full package...

20191204_113249.jpg

Nao sei bem ainda. Tem um disco com uma capa alternativa em vinil branco, um cd, a unica edicao em casssete de sempre, e uma zine. Se nao fosse a promocao de 25% da fnac nao teria comprado.

Obrigado. Também estive para comprar a caixa durante o BF da Fnac mas acabei com discos da Blue Note. Tenho agora que os ir levantar no Chiado.

68E76E3D-53AC-48CD-9DF3-B9A88B9F05A1.jpeg

1) New - Ill Considered ‘Xmas’. Completes my Ill Considered collection I think.

2) Used - Savoy Brown ‘Boogie Bros’. I know nothing about this LP. Never heard it b4.

3) Used - Savoy Brown ‘Lion’s Share’. My 3rd copy. All with fold down covers. I have a) my original one bought new that is fairly worn out with surface noise, b) a bought used listed as NM- copy that is/was actually in worse condition than my original, and c) this new used one that looks to be a winner but I need to clean and play yet.

4) Used - Suzanne Vega ‘Solitude Standing’. Great sound CD. Looking forward to comparing sound to this original vinyl.

View attachment 25024

1) New - Ill Considered ‘Xmas’. Completes my Ill Considered collection I think.

2) Used - Savoy Brown ‘Boogie Bros’. I know nothing about this LP. Never heard it b4.

3) Used - Savoy Brown ‘Lion’s Share’. My 3rd copy. All with fold down covers. I have a) my original one bought new that is fairly worn out with surface noise, b) a bought used listed as NM- copy that is/was actually in worse condition than my original, and c) this new used one that looks to be a winner but I need to clean and play yet.

4) Used - Suzanne Vega ‘Solitude Standing’. Great sound CD. Looking forward to comparing sound to this original vinyl.

I found that Lions Share on 8 track tape.

I'd always felt strangely envious of those of you who had records delivered in a pizza box. Now I can join the club - my delivery today from Colombia came in an inside-out pizza box. The oddness didn't stop there. There was also a piece of polystyrene in there with a record taped to each side! Thankfully neither were the ones I'd ordered (pics of them to come later...)

20191206_131433.jpg

20191206_131326.jpg

I'd always felt strangely envious of those of you who had records delivered in a pizza box. Now I can join the club - my delivery today from Colombia came in an inside-out pizza box. The oddness didn't stop there. There was also a piece of polystyrene in there with a record taped to each side! Thankfully neither were the ones I'd ordered (pics of them to come later...)

View attachment 25217

View attachment 25218
Hahaha what an odd packaging method! I once shipped a cymbal in a pizza box, but sadly did not use polystyrene and taped records.

What did you order from Colombia?

Hahaha what an odd packaging method! I once shipped a cymbal in a pizza box, but sadly did not use polystyrene and taped records.

What did you order from Colombia?
Perhaps my best parcel of the year. Some real holy grails for me here.

Fruko - El Bueno
Fruko y sus Tesos - El Violento
Afrosound - La Danza de los Mirlos

They are all from the top drawer of Colombian and the remarkable label that is Discos Fuentes. Top of the shop is El Violento - contains perhaps my favourite Fruko song, Salsa Na Ma. Not sure I've heard anything off El Bueno before. And Afrosound is one of his side projects (along with Wganda Kenya) and was the priciest of all.

I'd love to be sitting down tonight to listen to them (with a slice of pizza, natch) but...I left them in the office by mistake. I took the picture to show to the seller. Doh! Instead I'm making do with these two Poly-Rythmo singles I just got from Ebay - no sign they've ever been sold before and both are amazing...

20191206_131853.jpg

20191206_175234.jpg

Last edited:
Ronin Arkestra - Sonkei (Albert's Favourites, 2019 first pressing)
Not sure why I waited until now to pick this up, I really like thier debut ep, 'First Meeting', so im sure this will be great. Cost me £7 as well!

Larry Young - Larry Young In Paris: The ORTF Recordings (Resonance Records, 2016 limited, hand-numbered pressing 1938/2000)
After being impressed with the Bill Evans record from Resonance Records I looked through their online catalogue and ordered this sealed copy (£20). If the music is anything like the package it's going to be superb. I can't get over how great this package is. Gatefold with 2 heavyweight records, detailed booklet (same as the Evans) and an envelope of thick laminated/textured postcards (copyright from Mosaic so they must have made a deal with them)

IMG_0744.JPG

View attachment 25217

View attachment 25218

Not to sure about tape residue but at least you didn’t have to worry about seam splits.

Back