Fresh Grabs

Maybe a bit more relevant--two records I picked up from Agharta Records in MN, and others that were waiting for me following a week away from home.

The Saint Etienne and Billy Mitchell were from Agharta. Japanese Breakfast, Shannen Moser, Buck Meek, and Tori Amos are from the amazing sale at Apocalypse Vinly that I dipped into three times (still quite a few to come from there). Rufus is a Bandbox pressing, and McCartney was a stupidly inexpensive purchase from (I think) Deep Discount.
IMG_8990.jpeg
IMG_8991.jpeg

Anybody pick up the new Explosions in the Sky record and can comment on how it sounds? Have the pink pressing waiting for me, but won't be home to listen for a few days.

I cleaned it this morning, but haven't had the time to spin it yet. If I can get to it tonight I'll update.

I was hoping for more explosions.

I've not really listened to any of there stuff before, so I'm not necessarily the best person to make the call here but it was definitely mellower than I expected. Lovely, but not what I thought it was gonna be.
I had one for a bit, pifed it or traded it... anyhow, I find them to be good sleepytime music.

Made the decision this morning not to go to a local record sale being sponsored by a local non-profit public radio station. Something to do with my increasingly complicated relationship with the idea of competing for records. Whatever. So I decided to check out a local thrift store instead, hoping I might get lucky. No records, but there was a turntable with a note on it saying it didn't 'turn on' so I was able to talk my way into a $10 purchase. And it seemed to run just fine once I got the belt onto the pulley. Toshiba SR-F451 with a Signet AM30s cartridge (which I understand is made by Audio Technica?). Set it up and checked it out and the only thing I could see/hear is that it doesn't keep proper speed (based on the strobe), which I'm guessing is related to the belt. I'll probably trade this in at a local record shop.

Toshiba1.jpgToshiba2.jpg

On my way home from the thrift shop, I saw a yard sale that looked interesting so I checked it out. Talkative older guy (ha! about my age) running the show. Seeing no records, I asked him if he had any he wanted to sell. He took me into the house and let me look through a bunch, which is always exciting, even if not terrifically fruitful (but still....). While I was looking at the records I saw a cool looking cassette deck and asked him if he was interested in selling that. He asked for $25 for about 20 records, and threw in the deck for another $10. A JVC KD-A33 which seems to play very well. I like the meters! Kinda fits in with my Kenwood integrated in my office system.

JVC.jpg

Meters.jpg

Recs1.jpgRecs2.jpgRecs4.jpgRecs3.jpg

My wife was out of town for work for a few days and surprised me today with a video call from the record store down the road from her hotel so I could join her while she flipped...

20230919_213214.jpg

She grabbed the Patterson Hood and Imarhan on my behalf and Our Lady Peace and System of a Down on hers. The used section was generally quite depressing, but a $6 copy of Janet Jackson's Control was definitely not something I planned on passing on!

Wife also went on a well-earned tear at our local today on her first day off in weeks!

View attachment 182809
...stoked they had the Dominique Fils-Aimé out early!

She also grabbed me a Willie and a Wizzie!
View attachment 182810
If that's the new pressing of Hootie please let me know how it sounds. It's been on my list for a while.

And that Tea Party sounds fantastic!

Back