Fresh Grabs

McCoy Tyner - Trident (Milestone, 2023 Vinyl Me Please Pressing)
Dorothy Ashby - The Jazz Harpist (Regent, 1957 First Pressing)
The 3 Sounds - Bottoms Up! (Blue Note, 1960 First Stereo Pressing)
Lee Morgan - Taru (Blue Note, 1980 First Pressing)

A mid-week haul with some real gems! Looking forward to digging in. I have an OG pressing of the McCoy Tyner so im intrigued to see how the VMP pressing holds up.

View attachment 178544
I love the design on those 80s "Tone Poet" type releases. So Wyndham Hill

IMG_2989.jpeg
So, in college I went to see Dylan. I had not become a fan yet, I was going to see him because he was a living legend. About a week before the show, I figured I should know some of his stuff if I was gonna see him. I bought Freewheelin’ and I don’t think he played anything of it that night, nor did anything they did play sound like anything I later heard in his albums. Somewhere during Tangled Up in Blue, I became a fan.

Anyhow, since then, when I can swing it, I like to get music by the groups I see. So @avecigrec this is my first Sun Ra in honor of seeing the Arkestra on Saturday. Well not quite my first Sun Ra, I do have this:

The other is because VMP limited may be turning me into a super fan. Enjoying exploring her discography especially the stuff that doesn’t get all the attention.

Last edited:
View attachment 178579
So, I’m college I went to see Dylan. I had not become a fan yet, I was going to see him because he was a living legend. About a week before the show, I figured I should know some of his stuff if I was gonna see him. I bought Freewheelin’ and I don’t think he played anything of it that night, nor did anything they did play sound like anything I later heard in his albums. Somewhere during Tangled Up in Blue, I became a fan.

Anyhow, since then, when I can swing it, I like to get music by the groups I see. So @avecigrec this is my first Sun Ra in honor of seeing the Arjestra on Saturday. Well not quite my first Sun Ra, I do have this:

The other is because VMP limited may be turning me into a super fan. Enjoying exploring her discography especially the stuff that doesn’t get all the attention.

An excellent entry point, and extra fitting since you're seeing an Allen-led Arkestra!

I haven’t posted here in almost 2 months, so it’s time. First, the SOV haul (except the Hutcherson came from Bezos):

C5B49D8C-300F-40D4-ACBB-40B3EDF9156D.jpeg
24822A9E-ADB2-4A82-A9F3-25A3489E977D.jpeg
38B449C8-7F37-4D15-B2BB-BA0AE7604C97.jpeg

As for used grabs, I finally pulled the trigger on a B&S holy grail (the Books 7-inch). The Bobbie Gentry was only $2 and plays great. Dr. John is an early 70s pressing, and Sinead is an OG.

FBED5921-C8E5-4523-A355-D6FC0EBBBD6C.jpeg
B68695A8-0DC6-45BD-ACC5-6B5E575ACDD9.jpeg

I haven’t posted here in almost 2 months, so it’s time. First, the SOV haul (except the Hutcherson came from Bezos):

View attachment 178586
View attachment 178585
View attachment 178587

As for used grabs, I finally pulled the trigger on a B&S holy grail (the Books 7-inch). The Bobbie Gentry was only $2 and plays great. Dr. John is an early 70s pressing, and Sinead is an OG.

View attachment 178589
View attachment 178588
Nice haul! Would love a copy of that B&S EP “Your Cover Is Blown” is such a jam!

Busy week
Bettie Serveet arrived on Tuesday. VMP Rock plus Threebies arrived on Friday. So far only listened to the Runaways which sounds great, as a BoomBoom rock record should.
View attachment 178395

Went into Toronto yesterday, had lunch with some friends and then hit up a couple of record stores.
The English Beat was in a cheapie bin, sleeve is beat up but vinyl is clean. Wooden Shjipps what just a random grab in the used bin.
Finally picked up a copy of Patti Smith - Horses (Speakers Corner), been meaning to do that for awhile. Also just finished Steve Turner's memoirs Mudride, so I grabbed Mudhoney - Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge 30th ann. expanded reissue.
View attachment 178396

Nice! You finally got yourself a copy of that SC Patti Smith! And you scored a Special Beat Service... I think you've been looking for that one for a while too. What pressing is that?

Nice! You finally got yourself a copy of that SC Patti Smith! And you scored a Special Beat Service... I think you've been looking for that one for a while too. What pressing is that?
OG Canadian. Was only 3.99 so I had to buy it. Cover is a mess but vinyl was absolutely clean. Funny thing is there was a used Mofi copy for $50 that I almost grabbed (goes for about $75 on Discogs). It probably sounds great, but not 1000% better.

That Straight Life is a great pressing.

OG Canadian. Was only 3.99 so I had to buy it. Cover is a mess but vinyl was absolutely clean. Funny thing is there was a used Mofi copy for $50 that I almost grabbed (goes for about $75 on Discogs). It probably sounds great, but not 1000% better.

That Straight Life is a great pressing.

I actually have that MOFI. It's pretty good, but as you say, trying the 3.99 copy first is definitely the way to go. You could even update the sleeve later on if ever you come across a copy with a great sleeve but beat-up vinyl.

'cogs has gotten increasingly stupid since they upped their cut.

On top of that it’s the one with the 7” with extra tracks and the cd and poster that was only from their online store so I’m guessing it’s pretty rare and blur are big enough that there is demands. Less than a week from launch and every record store I frequent in Dublin has sold out of the indie version too.

Last edited:
Back