Fresh Grabs

20230416_133440.jpg
Burial - Chemz / Dolphinz
Haven't really been into newer Burial stuff since Rival Dealers but saw this for 6 dollars so I picked it up cuz why not?
Glad I picked it up though because "Chemz" is 🔥
Dolphinz is a weird b-side for this record. Very different vibe.

View attachment 172184View attachment 172185
The JP plane has arrived. Couple more Bowie's. Both NM 1982, have heard really good things about that Hunky Dory so I'm hoping it'll be the keeper copy at a somewhat reasonable price due to the lack of Obi.

-single tear-
No Obi?

giphy.gif

Miles Davis - Live-Evil (CBS, 1972 First UK Pressing)
Zoot Sims - Solo For Zoot (Fontana, 1962 First Pressing)
The 3 Sounds – Here We Come (Blue Note, 1961 First Mono Pressing)
Art Ensemble Of Chicago - Nice Guys (ECM Records, 1979 First Pressing)

I managed to pop into Honest Jons at the weekend and immediately honed in on the Zoot Sims, which was recorded at Ronnie Scotts here in London. At the same time, I saw the super clean Miles Davis which is one that I was missing! The 3 Sounds is a group that I knew very little about but I was able to get a deal on that and the Art Ensemble Of Chicago albums.

IMG_5942.JPG

Elton Dean - S/T (CBS, 1971 First Signed Pressing)
Blue Notes - Blue Notes For Mongezi (Ogun, 1976 First Pressing)
Archie Shepp Quintet - Bird Fire: Tribute To Charlie Parker (Impro, 1979 First Signed Pressing)

A couple of cool signed first pressings. The Elton Dean is signed by Dean and Marc Charig with a sketch of chips and "Scorpion & Chips" written. The Archie Shepp is signed by Shepp on both the label and the inner sleeve. Any french speakers able to translate? Finally from this set, a fantastic Ogun release in killer condition!

IMG_5943.JPG
IMG_5944.JPG

Carmell Jones Featuring Harold Land - The Remarkable Carmell Jones (Pacific Jazz, 2023 Tone Poet Pressing)
Keeper of the Flame: Modern Jazz in Manchester 1946 - 1972 by Bill Birch (Self Published, 2010)

I got a hell of a deal on the Tone Poet, but unfortunately, its split on the bottom, not that it will affect the music and it was cheap enough to forgive it. Finally, a great book that I have been after for a while finally came up at a good price. Some killer photos and stories of American and European jazz musicians playing in Manchester over the years!

IMG_5945.JPG

Miles Davis - Live-Evil (CBS, 1972 First UK Pressing)
Zoot Sims - Solo For Zoot (Fontana, 1962 First Pressing)
The 3 Sounds – Here We Come (Blue Note, 1961 First Mono Pressing)
Art Ensemble Of Chicago - Nice Guys (ECM Records, 1979 First Pressing)

I managed to pop into Honest Jons at the weekend and immediately honed in on the Zoot Sims, which was recorded at Ronnie Scotts here in London. At the same time, I saw the super clean Miles Davis which is one that I was missing! The 3 Sounds is a group that I knew very little about but I was able to get a deal on that and the Art Ensemble Of Chicago albums.

View attachment 172219

Elton Dean - S/T (CBS, 1971 First Signed Pressing)
Blue Notes - Blue Notes For Mongezi (Ogun, 1976 First Pressing)
Archie Shepp Quintet - Bird Fire: Tribute To Charlie Parker (Impro, 1979 First Signed Pressing)

A couple of cool signed first pressings. The Elton Dean is signed by Dean and Marc Charig with a sketch of chips and "Scorpion & Chips" written. The Archie Shepp is signed by Shepp on both the label and the inner sleeve. Any french speakers able to translate? Finally from this set, a fantastic Ogun release in killer condition!

View attachment 172220
View attachment 172234

Carmell Jones Featuring Harold Land - The Remarkable Carmell Jones (Pacific Jazz, 2023 Tone Poet Pressing)
Keeper of the Flame: Modern Jazz in Manchester 1946 - 1972 by Bill Birch (Self Published, 2010)

I got a hell of a deal on the Tone Poet, but unfortunately, its split on the bottom, not that it will affect the music and it was cheap enough to forgive it. Finally, a great book that I have been after for a while finally came up at a good price. Some killer photos and stories of American and European jazz musicians playing in Manchester over the years!

View attachment 172237

So that signed record was owned by a patient French policeman named Jean Luc... I'd love to know the story behind that!

Back