Fresh Grabs

Time to unveil my January grabs (most acquired in Brazil, a few back Stateside). First, the big Eli Regina haul, with an OG Tim Maia to boot:

6BA49899-FD77-4DDD-931F-2612653647B5.jpeg

Next, some North American legends. Super excited about Ragged Glory, and the Linda Ronstadt album in Spanish is pretty cool. A couple of cheap Tom Waits albums don’t hurt either:

82AACD8F-CFFF-4D06-BE5F-366CEE856AC6.jpeg

One of my goals for this trip was to plug holes in some of my favorite discographies. The Smiths debut album and Boys Don’t Cry set me back a pretty penny but they were worthy. Ironically were both US pressings. The surprise of the bunch was this Fall album that I bought in the dark. It was in great shape and under $10, so I snagged it and (now that I’ve listened to it) am happier for it:

2216BE79-228B-4E60-8C7F-35FAF90E803E.jpeg

Speaking of holes in my collection, I was missing the first two Maiden albums. (Now if only I could find the “Sanctuary” single for cheap…)

166B84B8-AFCC-475F-92A8-783E5E203B5E.jpeg

Last but not least, I bought an irresponsible number of ECM albums. Unfortunately a few of them have a bit too much surface noise for how quiet some of this music is, but the vast majority plays and sounds great.

0826D718-2696-47E6-9AA9-ED91B36EFF06.jpeg

(There were even a couple more, not pictured!)

Bonus: preorders that arrived in January, plus the Gilles Martin “remix” I was missing.

EA4D7E06-F4DB-41D4-8EBD-9418A9B0495C.jpeg

Last edited:
Time to unveil my January grabs (most acquired in Brazil, a few back Stateside). First, the big Eli Regina haul, with an OG Tim Maia to boot:

View attachment 165468

Next, some North American legends. Super excited about Ragged Glory, and the Linda Ronstadt album in Spanish is pretty cool. A couple of cheap Tom Waits albums don’t hurt either:

View attachment 165469

One of my goals for this trip was to plug holes in some of my favorite discographies. The Smiths debut album and Boys Don’t Cry set me back a pretty penny but they were worthy. Ironically were both US pressings. The surprise of the bunch was this Fall album that I bought in the dark. It was in great shape and under $10, so I snagged it and (now that I’ve listened to it) am happier for it:

View attachment 165472

Speaking of holes in my collection, I was missing the first two Maiden albums. (Now if only I could find the “Sanctuary” single for cheap…)

View attachment 165479

Last but not least, I bought an irresponsible number of ECM albums. Unfortunately a few of them have a bit too much surface noise for how quiet some of this music is, but the vast majority plays and sounds great.

View attachment 165480

(There were even a couple more, not pictured!)

Bonus: preorders that arrived in January, plus the Gilles Martin “remix” I was missing.

View attachment 165473
What are your favorite ECM releases? A label I’ve always wanted to check out more from but only have a few albums from the label. I just backordered that Dave Holland record and know Timeless. And then I have some Eberhard Weber releases but that’s kinda the extent of my ECM records!

What are your favorite ECM releases? A label I’ve always wanted to check out more from but only have a few albums from the label. I just backordered that Dave Holland record and know Timeless. And then I have some Eberhard Weber releases but that’s kinda the extent of my ECM records!

Timeless is great, as is basically everything I’ve heard from Weber.

My knowledge of ECM so far is limited to the 70s/early 80s. Like many people my gateway into ECM was Keith Jarrett. Out of his many 70s ECM releases, my favorite is The Survivor’s Suite, which features his American quartet.

Another crucial ECM artist is guitarist Terje Rypdal. I have a few of his albums and at this point I think Odyssey is the one that best showcases the range of his abilities.

I dislike a lot that I’ve heard from Jan Garbarek, but the album Witchi-Tai-To specifically is great. The same goes for Pat Metheny: there’s a lot of cheese in his discography but he also has fantastic stuff (e.g. New Chautauqua).

A few others that more or less blew my mind when I first heard them:

John Surman - Upon Reflection
Julian Priester - Love, Love (this is basically a Headhunters adjacent release)
Gary Burton - Passengers

Lastly, it isn’t jazz, but everyone should listen to Steve Reich’s Music for 18 Musicians at least once. I traded that one in to a friend because it’s too intense and wasn’t getting enough play, but I’ll probably buy it again if I see it in the wild.

Timeless is great, as is basically everything I’ve heard from Weber.

My knowledge of ECM so far is limited to the 70s/early 80s. Like many people my gateway into ECM was Keith Jarrett. Out of his many 70s ECM releases, my favorite is The Survivor’s Suite, which features his American quartet.

Another crucial ECM artist is guitarist Terje Rypdal. I have a few of his albums and at this point I think Odyssey is the one that best showcases the range of his abilities.

I dislike a lot that I’ve heard from Jan Garbarek, but the album Witchi-Tai-To specifically is great. The same goes for Pat Metheny: there’s a lot of cheese in his discography but he also has fantastic stuff (e.g. New Chautauqua).

A few others that more or less blew my mind when I first heard them:

John Surman - Upon Reflection
Julian Priester - Love, Love (this is basically a Headhunters adjacent release)
Gary Burton - Passengers

Lastly, it isn’t jazz, but everyone should listen to Steve Reich’s Music for 18 Musicians at least once. I traded that one in to a friend because it’s too intense and wasn’t getting enough play, but I’ll probably buy it again if I see it in the wild.
Amazing thanks! Forgot I own New Chautauqua too. And have heard the Reich album of course. Priester was on my radar and I know of Gary Burton but don’t think I’ve listened to much of his ECM output.

Looks like I have some listening to do!

Amazing thanks! Forgot I own New Chautauqua too. And have heard the Reich album of course. Priester was on my radar and I know of Gary Burton but don’t think I’ve listened to much of his ECM output.

Looks like I have some listening to do!

In the late 2010s, I'd suggest Dominic Miller and Wolfgang Muthspiel records. My favorite might Lebroba by Andrew Cyrille, Wadada Leo Smith & Bill Frisell. I recently bought 4 ECM releases on sale, could only listen to Anouar Brahem - Le Pas Du Chat Noir and loved it.

In the late 2010s, I'd suggest Dominic Miller and Wolfgang Muthspiel records. My favorite might Lebroba by Andrew Cyrille, Wadada Leo Smith & Bill Frisell. I recently bought 4 ECM releases on sale, could only listen to Anouar Brahem - Le Pas Du Chat Noir and loved it.

Anouar Brahem - Blue Maqams is lovely.

I love Lebroba as well as Dominic Miller's Absinthe that you've mentioned.

Big fan of Jan Garbarek's albums as well.

@MikeH check out the ECM thread

I started checking out Wolfgang Muthspiel lately since Ambrose Akinmusire is on some of those. Great stuff!

Original US pressing in NM (doesn't look used). The sleeve could have been in a lot worse shape because the post man decided that today 10 feet was a long walk so he just squeezed it in our mailbox so it was poking out. And it's been raining most of the day so the mailer was soaked along the edges/corners and the record wasn't in an outer sleeve, just some newspaper. No waterdamage to the sleeve, though, by the looks of it.

So now i just need to find a copy of Speakerboxxx/The Love Below.

IMG_6072.jpeg

Last edited:
Back