Fresh Grabs

Joel Ross - Who Are You? (Blue Note, 2020 First Signed Pressing)
Joel Ross - The Parable Of The Poet (Blue Note, 2022 First Signed Pressing)
Immanuel Wilkins – The 7th Hand (Blue Note, 2022 Limited Pressing)

I shared this over on the Blue Note thread earlier in the week but thought I would share it here too. The Blue Note pop-up here was here in London (as part of the London Jazz Festival) and Joel Ross was going to be there for 30mins to sign a few copies of his latest record. I wasn't going to make it in time because of work so I headed over afterward and to my surprise Joel's sound check for his gig that night had run over so he was at the pop-up. It was only us and the person running the pop-up, and we were able to chat and he signed a couple of records. Whilst I was at it I also picked up the gold pressing of Immanuel Wilkins' latest album, and they threw in a tote and some stickers.

IMG_9254 (1).JPG

The Incredible Jimmy Smith - Rockin' The Boat (Blue Note, 1963 First Pressing)
McCoy Tyner - Time For Tyner (Blue Note, 1969 First Pressing)
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - The Big Beat (Blue Note, 1960 First Mono Pressing)

Picked up a few killer Blue Notes this week too. The Jimmy Smith is unfortunately trashed really badly, it plays without skipping, but with constant crackle. It was only a £2.99 add-on to another purchase so not a huge loss. The other 2 are fantastic and are great sessions as well!

IMG_9540.JPG

Sons Of Kemet - Burn (Naim Jazz, 2014 First Pressing)
Neil Ardley / Ian Carr / Mike Gibbs / Stan Tracey - Will Power: A Shakespeare Birthday Celebration In Music (Argo, 1975 First Pressing)
Victor Feldman - Victor Feldman Big Band (Tempo, 1955 First 7" Pressing)
Oscar Peterson - The History Of An Artist (Pablo Records, 1974 Signed Pressing)
The Oscar Peterson Trio - Night Train (Verve, 1963 Signed UK Pressing)
Oscar Peterson Christmas Card.

A mix of bits from online buys to local shop finds. I remember when Sons Of Kemet's 'Burn' was regularly selling for upwards of 80 quid and I just couldn't justify that, but fast forward a few years and its back to its RRP! Will Power is one that's taken me even longer to find, a double LP set (which was uncommon in British jazz back in the 'golden era') led by the creme of British jazz. The really interesting bits are the 2 Oscar Peterson albums, which are signed by the pianist and one even included a Christmas card from him and his family! Finally, a cheapo 7" by Victor Feldman.

IMG_9541.JPG

Georges Arvanitas Quintet – Live In Paris '61 (Sam Records, 2022 Wax Buyers Club Pressing)

A recent arrival from the fantastic collaboration between Sam Records and Wax Buyers Club!

IMG_9578.JPG

Miles Davis - Star People (Columbia, 2022 Vinyl Me Please Classics Pressing)
Gary Bartz - The Shadow Do (Prestige, 2022 Vinyl Me Please Exclusive Pressing)
Bayeté - Worlds Around The Sun (Prestige, 2022 Vinyl Me Please Exclusive Pressing)
Melvin Sparks - Spark Plug (Prestige, 2022 Vinyl Me Please Exclusive Pressing)

My VMP package arrived just in time for the new month. Really great set. I have the previous records from the Prestige/VMP/Craft/Jazz Dispensary series and they really are fantastic (despite the price). I waited for them to turn up in swaps and glad I did!

IMG_9747.JPG

Back