Fresh Grabs

Michael Garrick Quintet Featuring Joe Harriott And Shake Keane - October Woman (Argo, 1965 First Mono Pressing)
The Joe Harriott Quintet – Movement (Columbia, 1964 First Pressing)
Michael Garrick Trio - Cold Mountain (Argo, 1972 First Pressing)
Michael Garrick – A Jazz Cantata: For Martin Luther King (Erase, 1969 First Pressing)

Well, this is my haul of the year. I recently mentioned that I was talking to a non-jazz record collector about some jazz records that he had and I purchased Cold Mountain, but he also had some more that he was going to offer up. Well they were pretty brilliant records. Garrick's 'October Woman' is a record that I have been hunting down for ages, never even seeing a copy in person and refusing the silly online prices. Similarly the Joe Harriott 'Movement' rarely pops up for sale and is an absolute blinder of a session that mixes his straight-ahead playing with the more free-form work he developed. The creme of the crop is definitely Garrick's 'A jazz Cantata: For Martin Luther King', a record so rare that only 4 other people have it in their discogs collection and only 2 copies have been sold on there in the past 8+ years. It consists of a live performance at the Farnham Festival in 1969 and was only to be sold to participants and their parents. One hell of a British jazz haul!

IMG_9230.JPG

Big John Patton - Oh Baby! (Blue Note, 1965 First Mono Pressing)
Jackie McLean - A Fickle Sonance (Blue Note, 1962 First Stereo Pressing)
Lee Morgan - S/T (Blue Note, 1972 First Pressing)
The John Coltrane Quartette - Coltrane (Impulse!, 1963 Mono Pressing)

A nice collection of Blue Note/Impulse! titles. I once bought the Lee Morgan S/T online only for it to arrive with a disc missing. Nice to finally have the proper full set! I do have a couple of really solid reissues of Oh Baby! and A Fickle Sonance (which I play a lot, such a good McLean session) so really cool to get the 1st pressings! Finally, a Coltrane on Impulse!

IMG_9231.JPG

PAZ 3 - PAZ Are Back (Spotlite, 1982 First Signed Promo Pressing)
Mu Session - Volume 2 (Ill Considered Music, 2022 First Numbered White Label Pressing)
Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine (Epic/Clean Slate, 2022 Vinyl Me Please Exclusive Pressing)

Fantastic to finally have the Fiona Apple arrive, crazy to think we've been talking about that for years! The PAZ has a really cool added bonus of being the promo pressing signed by Ron Matthewson, Dick Crouch, Simon Morton, Ray Warleigh & Geoff Castle. Finally, the 2nd album from Leon Brichard's (of Ill Considered) 'Live at Mu' series.

IMG_9235.JPG

Was not planning any record purchases today, but seeing this in the bin at a small shop run by a septugenarian retiree made me pull out my card. Sealed and not marked up from its original 2016 price. I passed on one years ago and have regretted it ever since.

485CC9C8-CEEF-402C-8ECC-0024CE10C574.jpeg

Was not planning any record purchases today, but seeing this in the bin at a small shop run by a septugenarian retiree made me pull out my card. Sealed and not marked up from its original 2016 price. I passed on one years ago and have regretted it ever since.

View attachment 157271
Got take: this is the last good Clutch album…

Joel Ross – The Parable Of The Poet (Blue Note, 2022 Signed Pressing)
Joel Ross – Who Are You? (Blue Note, 2020 Signed Pressing)
Immanuel Wilkins – The 7th Hand (Blue Note, 2022 First Limited Pressing)
Blue Note Tote Bag & Stickers

Early in the week to be sharing some Fresh Grabs, but I popped over to the Blue Note pop-up here in London after work today. Joel Ross was supposed to be there at 4:30 for 30mins and I knew I was going to miss that but the guy running the pop-up said he would ask him to sign a record for me. Well, as it turned out Joel's soundcheck took longer than expected so he was at the shop at the exact same time that I was! I was the only customer there and he signed his latest release and his previous one for me. I also picked up the fancy gold pressing of Immanuel Wilkins' latest record, and even got a tote bag and some stickers thrown in for free!

IMG_9254.JPGIMG_9256.jpg

Had a great day selling and buying at the Maplewood Record Fair yesterday. Always a fun time and luckily for me, no one who goes seems to like Jazz much! Was swamped with buyers all day (a good problem to have!) but managed to step out from behind my table to browse a bit in the last half hour. The Ashby and Morgan VMPs are sealed and we’re $20. Had missed that Morgan ROTM so was super happy to see that. Altogether made much more than I anticipated, and spent much less than I thought! A great day indeed, looking forward to the next one in May.

Gabor Szabo - Bacchanal
Gabor Szabo - High Contrast
Art Blakey - Free For All (blue label)
Ornette Coleman Trio - At The Golden Circle Vol. 1 (blue label)
Alice Coltrane - A Monastic Trio (early repress)
Dorothy Ashby - The Rubaiyat of Dorothy Ashby
Lee Morgan Quintet - Take Twelve

BA5664A6-A1B2-4FF9-B116-823709E29553.jpeg

Attachments

• D52E3ECA-28E6-48CE-80D3-222A36275868.jpeg
    D52E3ECA-28E6-48CE-80D3-222A36275868.jpeg
    293.2 KB · Views: 0
first in line at the numero group warehouse sale last friday! got away with most of the things i came in hoping to find and dropped less than $220 for all of it. kinda wish i’d picked up a few more honestly!View attachment 157627
Ooh, didn’t know there was a Karate box set. Is that their full discography?

Back