Fresh Grabs

As I mentioned to some people in the jazz thread yesterday....my local got in some Sun Ra Impulse Promos. They were shut yesterday but posted a few items on instagram for "make us an offer". They are a non-profit shop that benefits our local music hall (which is also non-profit). I was outbid for the Sun Ra albums yesterday...but figured I should drop by there this AM to see what else they may have gotten in from that collection with Sun Ra...made the mistake of getting there about 30 min after they opened....

The guy in front of me had a stack of about 80 records he pulled. He drove up from NYC just to dig the collection. Must have gotten there when they opened. He spent $1,100. Got a glimpse of what he picked up.... OG Black Jazz pressings. Three Sun Ra Impulse promos. OG Funkadelic, OG Meters. The collection was from a pastor who passed away. Tons of gospel albums as well. After he cleaned out the collection, this is what I walked away with. The most expensive record was $15 in the bunch. Merry Clayton, Leon Thoms, Herbie and the Wilbert Harrison and Curtis are all promos.

IMG_4210.jpg

Nice diggin' Mike! A great cause, and some seriously good juju in those albums from the good pastor I'm sure!
$13 a album avg is a deal. We have a chairty shop here where I just picked up a Johnny Hartman collection for about that.

Nice diggin' Mike! A great cause, and some seriously good juju in those albums from the good pastor I'm sure!
$13 a album avg is a deal. We have a chairty shop here where I just picked up a Johnny Hartman collection for about that.
Yea! I love supporting them. We have been going to the music hall a bunch. They get some good acts! Jason Isbell is playing two shows there in April. We saw Bonny Light Horseman and Ben Folds there in the past few months. And went to see The Moth, which is a storytelling event there this past weekend. The record shop is an added bonus! I picked up two OG John Prines there for $2 a piece a few months back when it was just a pop up but am glad they are now a full time store! I’m sure I’ll spend lots of money there and it’s fun to dig there.

I had been on a run of picking up a lot of missing items in my collection: Discogs finds, cheap used greatest hits comps of artists, etc. Nothing that I felt like had to be a big old share in here. On Sunday my girlfriend and I had nothing to do so we decided to try an antiques store that we hadn't gone to be before. I had heard some rumblings of it being a good stop for records too. Turned out to be a really interesting mix of things - vintage clothing, some great lawn furniture/art, a super adorable Newfie, etc. The record selection was really good - big mix of genres and fairly reasonable pricing. Also a unique selection of albums of the area: generally the used stores around here carry a lot of the same stock while this place had some really cool blues/jazz/classic rock items you don't see that often in the Northeast. He was also intaking a 2k+ collection of blues and classic rock that I was just a bit too early for. With that said

The walls were lined with $1 options and most of them were roughly what you might expect. It felt like the right opportunity to grab the Linda Ronstadt - Greatest Hits I had, to this point, dodged. The condition was really solid and, once I got home, I noticed whoever originally had it also had a 7" of her doing Heat Wave / Tracks of My Tears in there as well. I doubled up with Aretha Franklin - Aretha Arrives - my general rule is if I can get Aretha for $1 I do it - Atlantic era Aretha with all the right nows.

Then I started going through the bins and there were so many things that I thought about and just had to put down (and maybe go back for). However, the one I couldn't put down was one I monthly challenged - Allman Brothers Band - The Allman Brothers Band At Fillmore East. What I found funny on this is that the album is the subject of one of my family's more disastrous live show encounters when we didn't realize the cover band was just covering this album...so my mother was waiting for all the other hits that never came. With that said, for $8 I felt like this was a real worthwhile pickup.

Then, I went to the few bins they had near the front. I feel like they put goodies there they just didn't know how to sort otherwise. Passed up some truly interesting items but found two of my favorite recent pickups. First, for some unknown reason, surrounded by a bunch of 80s 7"s and a variety of other items was The White Stripes – Party Of Special Things To Do tri-color single. For the most part the stuff here was around Discogs pricing but I don't think the owner knew what to do with it. I about spit out my drink when I added it once I got home (I just thought it was a cool pickup) to see what it was going for vs. the $10 I paid. I was, and probably still am, most excited about this super beat up 10" that was in the box of Miguelito Valdés* E Os Afro Cubanos De Machito – Música Dos Trópicos - a 1940's Afro-Cuban Jazz gem. I don't even think this version is on Discogs, I took another one to track it but the label's different - sleeve is busted and it's noisy but the music is just really dang cool and unlike anything else I really own. Been having a ton of fun with this one. Also just really neat to have something from the 40's

Also, I was almost done and then I look at the walls and, somehow, they got several Reprise promo posters from the late 60s or early 70s on the wall - mostly hard contrast black and white photos of some of the top Reprise artists. Sadly, all of them except Jean Sebastian (of course) had some water damage in spots, and most were priced beyond what I would pay....but for $30 I didn't want to leave Joni behind. Just need to get a good frame and place for it.

PXL_20220316_185640993.MP.jpgPXL_20220315_205726498.MP.jpgPXL_20220316_185717135.MP.jpgPXL_20220316_181253968.MP.jpg

I had been on a run of picking up a lot of missing items in my collection: Discogs finds, cheap used greatest hits comps of artists, etc. Nothing that I felt like had to be a big old share in here. On Sunday my girlfriend and I had nothing to do so we decided to try an antiques store that we hadn't gone to be before. I had heard some rumblings of it being a good stop for records too. Turned out to be a really interesting mix of things - vintage clothing, some great lawn furniture/art, a super adorable Newfie, etc. The record selection was really good - big mix of genres and fairly reasonable pricing. Also a unique selection of albums of the area: generally the used stores around here carry a lot of the same stock while this place had some really cool blues/jazz/classic rock items you don't see that often in the Northeast. He was also intaking a 2k+ collection of blues and classic rock that I was just a bit too early for. With that said

The walls were lined with $1 options and most of them were roughly what you might expect. It felt like the right opportunity to grab the Linda Ronstadt - Greatest Hits I had, to this point, dodged. The condition was really solid and, once I got home, I noticed whoever originally had it also had a 7" of her doing Heat Wave / Tracks of My Tears in there as well. I doubled up with Aretha Franklin - Aretha Arrives - my general rule is if I can get Aretha for $1 I do it - Atlantic era Aretha with all the right nows.

Then I started going through the bins and there were so many things that I thought about and just had to put down (and maybe go back for). However, the one I couldn't put down was one I monthly challenged - Allman Brothers Band - The Allman Brothers Band At Fillmore East. What I found funny on this is that the album is the subject of one of my family's more disastrous live show encounters when we didn't realize the cover band was just covering this album...so my mother was waiting for all the other hits that never came. With that said, for $8 I felt like this was a real worthwhile pickup.

Then, I went to the few bins they had near the front. I feel like they put goodies there they just didn't know how to sort otherwise. Passed up some truly interesting items but found two of my favorite recent pickups. First, for some unknown reason, surrounded by a bunch of 80s 7"s and a variety of other items was The White Stripes – Party Of Special Things To Do tri-color single. For the most part the stuff here was around Discogs pricing but I don't think the owner knew what to do with it. I about spit out my drink when I added it once I got home (I just thought it was a cool pickup) to see what it was going for vs. the $10 I paid. I was, and probably still am, most excited about this super beat up 10" that was in the box of Miguelito Valdés* E Os Afro Cubanos De Machito – Música Dos Trópicos - a 1940's Afro-Cuban Jazz gem. I don't even think this version is on Discogs, I took another one to track it but the label's different - sleeve is busted and it's noisy but the music is just really dang cool and unlike anything else I really own. Been having a ton of fun with this one. Also just really neat to have something from the 40's

Also, I was almost done and then I look at the walls and, somehow, they got several Reprise promo posters from the late 60s or early 70s on the wall - mostly hard contrast black and white photos of some of the top Reprise artists. Sadly, all of them except Jean Sebastian (of course) had some water damage in spots, and most were priced beyond what I would pay....but for $30 I didn't want to leave Joni behind. Just need to get a good frame and place for it.

View attachment 132545View attachment 132547View attachment 132546View attachment 132548
cherish that shop and don't tell too many people about it haha. it's harder and harder to find shops like that with decent pricing that aren't picked over!

cherish that shop and don't tell too many people about it haha. it's harder and harder to find shops like that with decent pricing that aren't picked over!

Yep, that one is staying under my hat unless some online or real life friends need a hookup. Like, some of their other pricing was for the birds (I think that Beatles Stereo Box will be sitting there for a while...) and some oddball vintage pricing but otherwise it felt consistently a bit short of Discogs median for well cared for records...wish there were more like it.

Maybe you could order the reissue and attempt to recoup some of your cost be reselling this once it inevitably goes out of print again?
Nah, I never sell my records. But, I may still order the reissue! Spinning it right now and it sounds fabulous.

My daughter knows to check which of my albums are valuable - she'll inherit them all - but will definitely keep a bunch.

With today's mail delivery, I can officially add a second Julien Baker test press to my collection:

HqmRX6t.png

Back