Fresh Grabs

The Mike Westbrook Concert Band – Celebration (Deram, 1967 First Mono Pressing)
Graham Collier Music – New Conditions (Mosaic Records, 1976 First Pressing)
Ian Carr Double Quintet – Solar Session (Jazz In Britain, 2022 First 10" Limited Pressing)
The Tony Kinsey Quartet – Foursome (Parlophone, 1960 First 7" Pressing)

Some great British jazz! Celebrations was a hell of a deal. A seller had it listed for a suspiciously great price and when I messaged to ask if there was anything wrong with it they sent a photo back of what they thought was a pressing issue that caused a click. I had seen that kind of mark before and knew it could clean off.....which is exactly what happened. Clean as a whistle now! The Ian Carr is the latest from Jazz In Britain which I have been waiting for since I first put the order down in April 2021. Certainly a lot of delays but glad to finally have it.

IMG_6410.JPG

John Coltrane Quartet – Crescent (Impulse, 2022 Acoustic Sound Pressing)
Thelonious Monk – The Complete Genius (Blue Note, 1976 First Pressing)
Lightnin' Hopkins – Lightnin' Strikes (Vee Jay Records, 2022 VMP Classics Pressing)
OutKast – ATLiens (LaFace Records, 2021 VMP R&HH Pressing) - Replacement Disc

Some classic jazz performances here. The Crescent had a big reduction because it was unsealed (but unplayed) and the Monk was a low ball offer which was accepted. Looking forward to the Lightnin' Hopkins and nice to see the Outkast replacement arrived.

IMG_6411.JPG

This one actually showed up earlier in the week but got tucked away in the box again until just now, waiting for the right moment to put it on...

20220320_170053.jpg

The Night Watch – An Embarrassment Of Riches

This album was released a few months before Covid shut the world down so it slipped under my radar until just recently. The Night Watch is another project from Nathanaël Larochette of Musk Ox. Rewind to some time over a decade ago while he was on a poetry tour and featuring at the series I helped run in Victoria he gave me a CDR of original Night Watch demos and uttered a term I'd never heard before: folk metal. Fast Forward to now and, unfortunately, the band has found its end quietly during a pandemic that saw them unable to tour this album which turned out to be their swan song.

From the album's Bandcamp write-up: "An Embarrassment of Riches is a towering and richly detailed journey through external and internal landscapes, where post/progressive/black/doom and folk metal weave their way through a tapestry of post-rock/folk/jazz and classical textures."

The overall package exceeded my excited expectations when it arrived; the gatefold cover art is stunningly beautiful, as is the included 20-page libretto featuring custom artwork for each song by Alice Duke as well as original poetic interpretations.

20220320_170520.jpg20220320_170543.jpg

I saved my first listen for my first spin, rather than streaming it beforehand, and am nearing the end of the first LP as I type this and it's been an incredibly enjoyable journey so far. This should have been on my year-end list for 2019 and likely would've ranked pretty high on it, had I not missed the boat!

So, I’ve been really good with curtailing my buying. I hadn’t bought anything off eBay since the first week of November, discogs since October, Reddit since June, online pickup at my local since July. I was gifted some gift certificates for Christmas for that local and grabbed a few things, but otherwise been really good. Really, just a few preorders & new releases (stuff I really want, much less than I’d been buying the last couple of years) over the last few months.

I done fell off the wagon this month 😂

I’ve posted a few of these in the What’s Spinning thread. But it all started a couple weeks ago when I went on vacation in Miami. Hit up a couple of record stores and dug through most of their stacks. Really missed flipping through bins. Was fairly selective.

2C0E9CF6-0D10-45DF-9A80-910D8CC3A1AF.jpeg

UGK - Ridin’ Dirty promo
Heather B - Eternal Affairs
Chief Keef - Glotoven ($5!)
Nicolay - Glaciers
The Koreatown Oddity - A Beat At The Table

All used, clean, and fairly cheap. But it scratched an itch. Day I got home, I hit up my primary local. Still good, just grabbed a couple of CDs. Then I hit up the store by my place that I hadn’t been inside in 2 years.

4494B226-1BCE-450D-9587-0BDA43EED067.jpeg

Dug through most of the racks, still good with being selective. Grabbed the Kellee Patterson new for $13. Grabbed a really clean copy of one of my favorite dollar bin yacht-rock-y albums for a buck.

Then today came. Planned to go to my primary to return a defective album, and to hit up another store I hadn’t been to during the pandemic to see how much they were selling some new releases for (Kaina, Summer Walker, Robert Glasper). Ended up grabbing all these instead:

3B85D640-96D8-490B-B0DA-F64D3C6F1B4D.jpeg
New:
Holy Hive - S/T
Al Johnson - Peaceful
Darondo - Listen To My Song
Used:
Steve Arrington - Dancin’ In The Key Of Life
Ennio Morricone - Marco Polo OST
Loose Ends - Look How Long
Irene Reid - Two Of Us

Somehow missed that Holy Hive when it came out. The Al Johnson is a long-time modern soul want, finally reissued. I got the Luv N Haight Darondo LP way back when, but didn’t know this comp that was put out a few years later existed until a couple of years ago. The Loose Ends is probably my favorite new jack swing album - another long-time want but this one’s not usually expensive, just doesn’t pop up much in the US.

7D3B5311-2F67-4E96-AEA3-A673052953E7.jpeg

Also grabbed some unheralded late-90s to mid-00s rap - right up my alley.

Outsidaz - The Bricks (sealed)
2nd II None - Classic 220
The Perceptionists - Black Dialogue

Oh, and also grabbed a bunch of shit from Reddit the last couple of weeks:

440F90AB-EC23-4FB3-B949-D166D9513FDD.jpeg

Penrose Showcase
Pharoahe Monch - PTSD
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx Pt II
Kehlani - You Should Be Here
Kehlani - SweetSexySavage

Regretted not grabbing that Penrose comp that one RSD, so picked it up even though the standard press is coming out soon I think.

I’m planning on hitting up a couple of other stores next weekend to see what’s sitting in their racks. One is a store I haven’t been to in probably 10 years. I’m gonna need to finally sort through my sell pile to offset this 🤦‍♂️

So, I’ve been really good with curtailing my buying. I hadn’t bought anything off eBay since the first week of November, discogs since October, Reddit since June, online pickup at my local since July. I was gifted some gift certificates for Christmas for that local and grabbed a few things, but otherwise been really good. Really, just a few preorders & new releases (stuff I really want, much less than I’d been buying the last couple of years) over the last few months.

I done fell off the wagon this month 😂

I’ve posted a few of these in the What’s Spinning thread. But it all started a couple weeks ago when I went on vacation in Miami. Hit up a couple of record stores and dug through most of their stacks. Really missed flipping through bins. Was fairly selective.

View attachment 132973

UGK - Ridin’ Dirty promo
Heather B - Eternal Affairs
Chief Keef - Glotoven ($5!)
Nicolay - Glaciers
The Koreatown Oddity - A Beat At The Table

All used, clean, and fairly cheap. But it scratched an itch. Day I got home, I hit up my primary local. Still good, just grabbed a couple of CDs. Then I hit up the store by my place that I hadn’t been inside in 2 years.

View attachment 132974

Dug through most of the racks, still good with being selective. Grabbed the Kellee Patterson new for $13. Grabbed a really clean copy of one of my favorite dollar bin yacht-rock-y albums for a buck.

Then today came. Planned to go to my primary to return a defective album, and to hit up another store I hadn’t been to during the pandemic to see how much they were selling some new releases for (Kaina, Summer Walker, Robert Glasper). Ended up grabbing all these instead:

View attachment 132976
New:
Holy Hive - S/T
Al Johnson - Peaceful
Darondo - Listen To My Song
Used:
Steve Arrington - Dancin’ In The Key Of Life
Ennio Morricone - Marco Polo OST
Loose Ends - Look How Long
Irene Reid - Two Of Us

Somehow missed that Holy Hive when it came out. The Al Johnson is a long-time modern soul want, finally reissued. I got the Luv N Haight Darondo LP way back when, but didn’t know this comp that was put out a few years later existed until a couple of years ago. The Loose Ends is probably my favorite new jack swing album - another long-time want but this one’s not usually expensive, just doesn’t pop up much in the US.

View attachment 132977

Also grabbed some unheralded late-90s to mid-00s rap - right up my alley.

Outsidaz - The Bricks (sealed)
2nd II None - Classic 220
The Perceptionists - Black Dialogue

Oh, and also grabbed a bunch of shit from Reddit the last couple of weeks:

View attachment 132979

Penrose Showcase
Pharoahe Monch - PTSD
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx Pt II
Kehlani - You Should Be Here
Kehlani - SweetSexySavage

Regretted not grabbing that Penrose comp that one RSD, so picked it up even though the standard press is coming out soon I think.

I’m planning on hitting up a couple of other stores next weekend to see what’s sitting in their racks. One is a store I haven’t been to in probably 10 years. I’m gonna need to finally sort through my sell pile to offset this 🤦‍♂️

The Bricks!!!!!

Also, here’s the non-LPs I picked up over this binge

973C834F-985B-407D-BF73-02B4696BAA6F.jpeg

45s
Bobbie Houston - I Want To Make It With You
Tony Ashley - We Must Have Love
Kool & The Gang - N.T.

Crossed these off my wantlist. Bobbie Houston is nice islands soul. Tony Ashley is a great 2-sider of sweet-ish soul. Kool & The Gang is a classic break record - looks rough, but plays super clean.

C0FF40F4-D122-4703-851F-28093BBE9844.jpeg

Bunch of gospel 45s from a local dude.

0BBF0B15-4ACA-4E05-8B0B-9A987B4B1936.jpeg

CDs
People Under The Stairs - Sincerely, The P
Anthony Hamilton - Ain’t Nobody Worryin’
Julie Dexter - Dexterity
The Game - Jesus Piece
TLC - Fanmail
Busta Rhymes - When Disaster Strikes
Salt N Pepa - Very Necessary
DJ Clue - The Professional 2
Yo Yo - Total Control
Darondo - Let My People Go

Got these Broadcast "reissues" from Bleep - although these are first time issued on Vinyl.
Enjoying the Maida Vale sessions currently - I used to listen to this on shitty 128kbps MP3 radio rip - so glad they released it properly because these are great stuff - I even prefer these versions to the actual album version (Which I love)

20220321_212457.jpg

Got some stuff from damaged section from Plaid Room. Speakerboxxx/Love Below has a corner bend but its not terrible and I can't see what's wrong with the Ride album.

20220321_212535.jpg

A few online orders and some local finds.

Beach House - Once Twice Melody
Ghost - Impera

Loving these both.

2705916D-177B-4655-BC7F-2AF16C6835DE.jpeg

Bob Dylan - Rough and Rowdy Ways
Dr. Dre The Chronic

Saw Bob Dylan perform last weekend. He played a lot of songs off of his most recent record so I figured I should go ahead and add it to the collection.

C6F6AF74-A11D-4B89-A26A-BA696155B24D.jpeg

America - History (a favorite of my wife and I’s when we’re traveling.)
Donald Byrd - Places and Spaces
The Cars - Heartbeat City
Emmylou Harris - Blue Kentucky Girl
Fela Kuti - Live!
Doc Watson - Southbound

While I was shopping at one of my locals they had this live Fela record playing and I thought it was fantastic. Couldn’t not walk out with a copy.

52E91050-A7B9-48AA-B7E1-2168F583F4AA.jpeg

Been awhile since i've had the time to do some cleaning and organizing so the new pile got a bit bigger then I expected (with more coming soon 😬).

A couple pre-orders with
Slightly Stoopid - Everything You Need
Vincent Neil Emerson ‎– Fried Chicken And Evil Women

Then 3 from the Plaid Room sale (Hopefully I can spin the Bell tonight!) along with one of my favorite Soundtracks from the past few years.

Picsart_22-03-21_19-41-34-052.jpg

A couple more pre-orders with the Isbell, Mac & finally getting the Mono Pink Floyd.

The Analogue Productions Head Hunters was for some reason listed new for only $18 on Amazon so obviously I scooped that sexy sob right on up! Bozos failed me with awful packing and it ended up having two big bent corners but I considered it a win still for the price.

Then a couple solid albums I got from good deals at BandBox.

Picsart_22-03-21_19-42-14-982.jpg

It ends with the remaining non-canceled items from the infamous Rough Trade sell along with 2 of the current reissued Black Crowes albums I got cheap enough to finally take a chance on after hearing so much bad things about them early on.

Picsart_22-03-21_19-49-31-477.jpg

Back