Fresh Grabs

Cairo Free Jazz Ensemble – Heliopolis (Sono Cairo, 2020 Holiday Records Limited Pressing)
Art Blakey And His Jazz Messengers - Chippin' In (Tidal Waves Music, 2021 VMP Exclusive Pressing)

Big thanks to @avecigrec for sending a message about the Cairo Free Jazz Ensemble release. For those of you interested, it features Salah Ragab on drums - his album 'Egypt Strut' was one of my RSD highlights. I haven't listened to it yet but looks great and is the first-ever authorized repress released under license from Hartmut Geerken, limited to just 300 copies as a second pressing. Secondly, we have the Art Blakey release from Tidal Waves/VMP. I think this will be credits well spent!

IMG_5752.JPG

Signed Lionel Hampton UK Tour Programme from October-November 1956.

A cool oddity that I was able to get. I have quite a stack of old tour programmes now but I think this is the first one that I have found that is signed.

IMG_5753.jpg

Jazz: A Guide To The History And Development Of Jazz And Jazz Musicians by Arrigo Polillo and edited by Neil Ardley - Signed by Howard McGhee

Another oddity. The book itself is a fantastic pocket book of jazz, packed with photos and under one of them (the McGhee one) its signed by the trumpeter himself.

IMG_5754.jpg
IMG_5755.JPG

Barbara Thompson Ticket - signed by drummer Jon Hiseman

A bit of paraphernalia (excuse the pun) that is signed by Barabara's husband, the drummer Jon Hiseman.

IMG_5756.JPG
IMG_5757.JPG

How to Listen to Jazz by Ted Gioia (Basic Books, 2016)
Out Of Nowhere: The Uniquely Evasive Jazz Of Mike Taylor by Luca Ferrari

A couple of late birthday presents arrived and they look fantastic. Its about time I learnt how to listen to jazz!!

IMG_5758.JPG

Cairo Free Jazz Ensemble – Heliopolis (Sono Cairo, 2020 Holiday Records Limited Pressing)
Art Blakey And His Jazz Messengers - Chippin' In (Tidal Waves Music, 2021 VMP Exclusive Pressing)

Big thanks to @avecigrec for sending a message about the Cairo Free Jazz Ensemble release. For those of you interested, it features Salah Ragab on drums - his album 'Egypt Strut' was one of my RSD highlights. I haven't listened to it yet but looks great and is the first-ever authorized repress released under license from Hartmut Geerken, limited to just 300 copies as a second pressing. Secondly, we have the Art Blakey release from Tidal Waves/VMP. I think this will be credits well spent!

View attachment 108691

Signed Lionel Hampton UK Tour Programme from October-November 1956.

A cool oddity that I was able to get. I have quite a stack of old tour programmes now but I think this is the first one that I have found that is signed.

View attachment 108693

Jazz: A Guide To The History And Development Of Jazz And Jazz Musicians by Arrigo Polillo and edited by Neil Ardley - Signed by Howard McGhee

Another oddity. The book itself is a fantastic pocket book of jazz, packed with photos and under one of them (the McGhee one) its signed by the trumpeter himself.

View attachment 108695
View attachment 108696

Barbara Thompson Ticket - signed by drummer Jon Hiseman

A bit of paraphernalia (excuse the pun) that is signed by Barabara's husband, the drummer Jon Hiseman.

View attachment 108697
View attachment 108698

How to Listen to Jazz by Ted Gioia (Basic Books, 2016)
Out Of Nowhere: The Uniquely Evasive Jazz Of Mike Taylor by Luca Ferrari

A couple of late birthday presents arrived and they look fantastic. Its about time I learnt how to listen to jazz!!

View attachment 108699

Definitely two wildly different Salah Ragab Projects, but both highlight pick-ups for me too this year.

I feel like I've gone slightly overboard the past couple of weeks...

Spellling - The Turning Wheel

Basically a blind buy because from what people are saying about it I can't imagine not liking it. I've heard the title track and it keeps turning into the untitled track from In the Aeroplane Over the Sea...

20210814_234415.jpg

Squarepusher - Feed Me Weird Things

Heard it twice after a friend of mine got a copy and picked it up while getting the Spellling. This thing's great.

20210814_234541.jpg

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

Actually ordered this several months ago assuming that it was so soon after the last run that somewhere was going to still have it in stock. The answer is no, they just had it on backorder and hadn't changed the website. Seems like a good store though, aside from that annoyance.

20210814_234253.jpg

Back