Fresh Grabs

It's been a hot week
View attachment 102825
Daniel Norgren - Live / Rose City Band - Earth Trip (with rolling papers?)
The Shins - Oh, Inverted World (2021) / Elliott Smith - Either/Or (bandbox)
View attachment 102826
My Zavvi jazz mystery set. I know nothing of these, did I do well?

Re: zavvi: they're all bangers. I don't know zavvi personally but the word is they're good/passable presses -- nothing audiophile but solid player copies. The music itself is fantastic: Dolphy and shorter are stone cold classics. Money jungle is a classic but it's hard to call it a banger Although the song "money jungle" itself is the musical embodiment of three dudes who know they're hot shit, who are not getting along personally but are going to work together. Mingus is arguably the real hothead prick here -- storming out because he didn't like roach's playing, and duke has to chase him down and get him to return -- but they're all definitely big names (with reason) in and of themselves. GO and McCoy I only know by reputation, I haven't heard them personally.
Very nice set, I didn't get the Wayne Shorter in mine and I believe I already had that pressing of the Real McCoy.

They are from the 'DeAgostini' set which were released as a magazine subscription a few years back. They have been a well-kept secret for quite a while and have blown up a bit since Zavvi started on these bundles. They are mastered from the analog masters where possible and generally sound superb. Its crazy how they managed to get them so right, especially considering the amount of poor reissue series that have been released over the years.

quick update on the latest arrivals

1623939780998.png

Jeff Buckley - Grace (VMP exclusive)
&
Grateful Dead - Workingman's dead (VMP Grateful Dead Anthology)

both arrived from Canada, via @Mather , as part of the amazing International PIF

Jesus Lizard - Head (1990 - white vinyl) arrived from Japan and it helps me to almost complete the discography of one of the best and filthiest bands to ever walk this planet.

quick update on the latest arrivals

View attachment 102879

Jeff Buckley - Grace (VMP exclusive)
&
Grateful Dead - Workingman's dead (VMP Grateful Dead Anthology)

both arrived from Canada, via @Mather , as part of the amazing International PIF

Jesus Lizard - Head (1990 - white vinyl) arrived from Japan and it helps me to almost complete the discography of one of the best and filthiest bands to ever walk this planet.
Love Jesus Lizard. Lucky to see them live a few times.

It's been a hot week
View attachment 102825
Daniel Norgren-Live / Rose City Band-Earth Trip (with rolling papers?)
The Shins-Oh, Inverted World (2021) / Elliott Smith-Either/Or (bandbox)
View attachment 102826
My Zavvi jazz mystery set. I know nothing of these, did I do well?
If this is your first real foray into Jazz I think GO! Would probably be the most immediately accessible and enjoyable, I would say the rest are much more avant- grade sessions and GO! is what would help open you up to some of the other classic albums like Sidewinder, Moanin, etc etc. GO! Is actually the first Jazz album I tried listening to coincidentally and it stuck with me. I chose that one because my step father had a massive Francis Wolf Dexter Gordon print in our media room and I was always intrigued by what the swagger I was seeing sounded like. So Dexter was my entry (fun fact my dogs name was also Dexter), would love to hear how these albums sound to you! Jazz is a tough thing to crack, but once you do it runs away with the show and will probably become your all time favorite genre.

Colosseum - Those Who Are About to Die Salute You (Fontana, 1969 First Pressing)
Duke Jordan - Les Liaisons Dangereuses (MGM Records, 1962 First Mono Pressing)
Johnny Keaton - Spotlight On European Jazz Vol 1 (Oriole, 1958 First 7" Pressing)

A few great finds this week. The Colosseum is the debut of this killer British jazz-rock group which was co-founded by the fantastic Jon Hiseman. Hiseman was a killer dummer who actually lived down the road from me with his wife, the saxophonist Barbara Thompson. The Duke Jordan is an interesting one as it seems like there were endless soundtrack releases for the French film ' Les Liaisons Dangereuses'. I now have one by Art Blakey, Duke Jordan, and the box set by Thelonious Monk. Finally from this bunch, an interesting 7" release that features the likes of Dizzy Reece and Don Rendell in the line-up.

IMG_2033.JPG

Milt Jackson - The Jazz Skyline (Savoy/London Record, 1956 First UK Pressing)
Wes Montgomery - Windy (MFP, 1968 First UK Pressing)
Duke Ellington - Duke Ellington Presents... (Bethlehem/London Records, 1957 First UK Pressing)
Wes Montgomery - The Best Of Wes Montgomery (Verve Records, 1972 First UK Pressing)
J.J. Johnson And Kai Winding - Trombone For Two (Philips/Columbia, 1955 First UK Pressing)
Various - The Giants Of Jazz (CBS, 1963 First UK Pressing)
Chris Barber's Jazz Band and Skiffle Group - New Orleans Joys (Decca, 1957 First UK 10" Mono Pressing)
J.J. Johnson, Kai Winding - Jay & Kai (Esquire, 1955 First UK Mono 10" Pressing)
William Bell - Happy/Johnny I Love You (Stax, 1969 First 7" Pressing)
Eddie Floyd - Knock On Wood/Got To Make A Comeback (Atlantic, 1966 First 7" Pressing)
Nina Simone - Ain't Got No - I Got Life/Do What You Gotta Do (RCA Victor, 1968 First 7" Pressing)

Another carboot haul, with a nice mix. They Jay & Kai 7" was one that I already had but the cover on my other copy was ripped up. The rest are 'new'. Not a huge fan of the Chris Barber New Orleans release after listening, but the previous owner had kept cuttings relating to it which I thought was interesting. The Wes Montgomery's are fantastic, really great stuff there. The 7" were nice finds and the seller had quite a few soul/funk bits like that....and these cost me £1 for the 3 so very good prices as well.

IMG_2032.JPG

Back