Fresh Grabs

My mate bought me a copy of that 'A Discovery Of A World Inside The Moone' because of the artwork. We are both Architects and he thought it was a good way to combine my interests :ROFLMAO:

I think it also came with a flexi disc, I will have to dig it out and see.
Doesn't seem too relaxing for Architecture drawing! But a great album none the less!

Man! That I haven't known about David Myhr until now! I'm a big fan of Swedish guitar pop and try and follow it quite closely, but this one I completely missed. Duly ordered both his albums just now! It does remind me a bit about Norwegian band Pogo Pops latest albums and their front man Frank Hammersland's work as well. Pristine and melodic sunshine pop!

Congrats on the Apples albums too. I have "Discovery..." and it sounds great!
Glad I was able to lead you to him. I caught him at an in store here in Portland a couple years back, fabulous guy! Some beautiful moments on Soundshine. I need to spend a little more time with the second album.

I haven't posted here in a couple of weeks, so here's a rundown of my fresh grabs.

Dizzy Reece & Tubby Hayes - Changing the Jazz at Buckingham Palace (Savoy, 1957 First Mono Pressing)
The Joe Harriott Quintet - Swings High (Melodisc, 1970 First Pressing)
Ray Russell Quartet - Dragon Hill (CBS, 1969 First Stereo Pressing)
Joe Harriott - Personal Portrait (Columbia, 1968 First Mono Factory/Sample Pressing)

First up is some British jazz rarities. The 'Changing the Jazz at Buckingham Palace' is one that I bought then was able to read about in the Tubby Hayes biography. The story goes that the session was quite dry so Tony Hall (the producer) took them all to the pub. After a few pints, they headed back, turned all the lights off, took their shoes off and played in the dark. The result was a much more open and relaxed performance, and these tracks were sold to Savoy for this album. 'Swings High' by Joe Harriot was the bargain find of the week and cost me just £25 inc postage! It's in superb shape as well, it just needed a good clean. Im not overly familiar with Ray Russell but this album was a bargain and looked too good to pass up. Finally another from Harriott, with this one being a factory sample.

IMG_4982.JPG

Miles Davis - Double Image // Rare Miles From The Complete Bitches Brew Sessions (Columbia, 2020 RSD Limited Pressing)
J.J. Johnson & Kai Winding - J&K Stonebone (CTI/A&M, 2020 First RSD Pressing)

My local took their time getting these to me, but they are worth the wait. Some fantastic music on here and the 'Stonebone' is a particular delight which has been needed a reissue since it was first released!

IMG_4981.JPG

Zavvi Bundle 2

When Zavvi first announced their jazz bundle deal I ordered 2, with this second batch arriving the other day. It's a great bundle and, having already bought some Deagostini pressings in the past, I am more than happy with the quality. I have a lot of these already and will be using them as upgrades or swapping/selling once I get around to sorting them out.

IMG_4912 (1).JPG

The Long Shadow Of The Little Giant: The Life, Work and Legacy of Tubby Hayes by Simon Spillett.
Live at the Village Vanguard by Max Gordon - Signed by Max
The Importance of Being Eric Dolphy by Raymond Horricks
The Freedom Principal: Jazz After 1958 by John Litweiler

Stocked up on some jazz books, which formed part of the estate of Barry McRae. McRae was a jazz journalist (for publications including Jazz Journal)/author and these books (apart from the Tubby Hayes) were previously owned by him. The Tubby Hayes is a fantastic read and I am already halfway through. I currently live in the area where Tubby grew up and first played, and there have been times where I have been able to look out of the window and see the buildings referenced in the book. Really fantastic and enjoyable read so far.

IMG_4983.JPG

A busy day at the front porch today:

Dear Nora - Three States: Rarities 1997-2007
Herbie Hancock - My Point of View
(Tone Poet)
Wilco - Ode to Joy
Better Oblivion Community Center - S/T
Tomberlin - Projections EP
Dear Nora - Mountain Rock

Also received a package of 100 outer sleeves from ClearBags. Kind of shocking every time I run out of them!

FG1113.jpg

A busy day at the front porch today:

Dear Nora - Three States: Rarities 1997-2007
Herbie Hancock - My Point of View
(Tone Poet)
Wilco - Ode to Joy
Better Oblivion Community Center - S/T
Tomberlin - Projections EP
Dear Nora - Mountain Rock

Also received a package of 100 outer sleeves from ClearBags. Kind of shocking every time I run out of them!

View attachment 74729
Ugh, Tone Poets, don’t think I can get enough of them ❤️🤤. I can just imagine holding that Herbie in my hand and admiring that glossy gatefold package. Oooooh boi, is it hot in here or just me?

Ugh, Tone Poets, don’t think I can get enough of them ❤️🤤. I can just imagine holding that Herbie in my hand and admiring that glossy gatefold package. Oooooh boi, is it hot in here or just me?
Haha! It's a good one. I'm not sure why I hadn't ordered it around the time it was first announced, but glad to have it now. Hancock is just a young stud, but I think he wrote all the pieces, and Byrd and Mobley bring the heat. Also interesting to have a trombone in the mix.

Haha! It's a good one. I'm not sure why I hadn't ordered it around the time it was first announced, but glad to have it now. Hancock is just a young stud, but I think he wrote all the pieces, and Byrd and Mobley bring the heat. Also interesting to have a trombone in the mix.
Ahem...aren't you forgetting about Grant Green? :)

Rocket Juice & The Moon

I'm on a bit of a Tony Allen binge at the moment, hoovering up the parts of his discography I don't already have. I've always really dug this album so nice to have it on wax at last. If only they'd repress the first Good, Bad & The Queen.

20201114_185511.jpg

Back