Fresh Grabs

I have so much manics stuff, it’s mad, second time around on this one...

That’s a good song, this was a wierd album for them, I liked the 3 or 4 singles but it’s a pretty poor album. But, I’m a completionist so whatcha going to do 🤷🏻‍♂️

I feel your pain.

Fresh Lysergic Acid Diethylamide Grabs
View attachment 46966
Hamilton Leithouser - The Loves Of Your Life
Stevie Nicks - Bella Donna
The Upsetters - Super Ape
Bicycle Day
by Brian Blomerth
Heads: A Biography of Psychedelic America by Jesse Jarnow

I received Hamilton Leithouser & Stevie Nicks in my VMP box. I missed out on Super Ape in the VMP store and warmer weather makes me wanna jam to some Reggae/Dub so I picked this up for around $20 on Discogs. The books were both inspired by posts/conversations I had in the forum and touch on a similar topic (LSD!) @BjorgenFjorgen posted about Heads on here a month or so ago and it piqued my interest; I found a hardcover copy up for sale from Zia Records via Amazon for a good price so grabbed a copy. @Dead C recently mentioned Bicycle Day a great graphic novel that I had previously read but never owned and after that conversation I had I figured it was time to add it to my collection also.
Heads is a really good read, enjoy!

Guess I'm gonna need to check out Heads
Do it!

So today has brought some FANTASTIC records. One of these packages was close to a dream haul, perhaps the best collection of rarities I have ever had in one go, and one that I don't think I will likely stumble across again. So here we go....

Charlie Rouse / Paul Quinichette - The Chase Is On (Bethlehem Records, 1958 First Mono 'Sample Copy' Pressing)
Yusef Lateef - Before Dawn (Columbia Records, 1958 First UK Mono Pressing)
Dexter Gordon ‎– Daddy Plays The Horn (Bethlehem Records/London Records, 1956 First UK Mono Pressing)

These 3 are the creme of the crop. I was once bidding on a copy of the Charlie Rouse / Paul Quinichette and it went for over £150 which is insane imo. The line-up is amazing and its an album I have streamed countless times. I was most excited for the Yusef Lateef and didn't even realise which pressing it was until it arrived. The seller was an antique dealer and had no clue how to 'date' the records, and the photos they sent were so bad I couldn't even see the label, all they said was that there were no scratches on the record and I could return if I wasn't happy........well I'm VERY happy. The Dexter Gordon is a classic and likely up there on a great number of want lists. This pressing is the first UK mono pressing and looks fantastic. The laminated sleeve made cleaning it super easy and the sleeve went from being super grubby to pretty clean!
IMG_6947.JPG

Oliver Nelson Orchestra - Afro/American Sketches (Esquire, 1962 First UK Mono Pressing)
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor (Esquire, 1963 First UK Mono Pressing - But its the wrong jacket)
Coleman Hawkins - The Hawk Returns (Savoy, 1955 First Mono Pressing)

Funnily enough, I ordered the Oliver Nelson record then VMP announced his Skull Sessions the next day so I'm getting a good amount of his music! The Gene Ammons is a funny one as its actually the 'Boss Tenor' record with the 'Boss Tenors (with Sonny Stitt)' jacket. This was from the antique dealer but for what I paid I'm still happy to keep it, it was a steal either way. I have been listening and reading a lot about Coleman Hawkins lately and I've found his music to be fantastic. I only had a couple of records which he appears on and decided to pick up this record with him as lead.
IMG_6948.JPG

Thelonious Monk - Thelonious Himself (Riverside Records, 1957 Mono Pressing)
Muriel Grossmann ‎– Elevation (Jazzman Records, 2020 First Pressing)
Dizzy Gillespie / Tony Douglas - Cabinet Ministers At The BBC Jazz Society (Acetate Test Pressing)

The Monk was a cheapo eBay win and having streamed the album a few times over the past few days its a great solo session. The Muriel Grossman was pre-ordered ages ago and I've been excited for it ever since. I expected the quality to be lower as it's on a different label to her normal one, but surprisingly it looks to be a really solid, high-quality set! I will give it a proper listen when I get a free moment and hopefully the pressing sounds as good as it looks! This acetate test pressing is an eBay obscurity. I have no clue about the origin of the music, or who the musicians are (I can only assume its not really Gillespie - maybe its just his compositions?). It was a cheapo spur of the moment bid which ended up winning. If anyone has any info it would be much appreciated if you could message me, the seller included a print out from Popsike showing another copy was sold in 2017 for £155 so there must be some interest in it.IMG_6949.JPG

Hollywood Jazz Session - Vol. 1 (Savoy, 1952 First 10" Pressing)
Zoot Sims - Tenor Sax Favorites (Prestige, 1951 First 10" Pressing)
Blue Note Records by Frederick Cohen (Jazz Record Centre, Revised Edition)
The Lady Who Shot Lee Morgan by Larry Reni Thomas (UBS Publication, Signed Copy)

This Hollywood Jam Session looks to be fantastic, with a killer line-up of Dexter Gordon, Wardell Gray, Howard McGhee, Trummy Young, Barney Kessell, Hampton Hawes, Ken Kennedy & LeRoy Gray. The Zoot Sims has another great line-up (although the title is misleading as he's the only tenor saxophonist playing) including Art Blakey & John Lewis. These 2 books come from the Jazz Record Center in New York and I've been after both for a while. The Blue Note guide is written by Fred Cohen, owner of the Jazz Record Center, and its seen as the essential guide for Blue Note records. I have been wanting it for years but the price and shipping always seemed high until now. I also bought a second book from Fred, one which I was interested in since I first watched the Lee Morgan documentary. For those who have seen the doc, Larry Reni Thomas was the person that interviewed Lee Morgan's wife (just before she passed away) years after she killed Lee. This book was written before the documentary using the interview tapes. Unexpectedly this copy is signed by Larry.
IMG_6951.JPG

Last edited:
4th delivered 2 more in progress of Missy Elliot studio albums. Crazy the way missy put Eminem on back in 98 when he wasn't really anybody. Practically gave him 2 full tracks but in the one track. 🔥
20200515_185418.jpg

Also some Welsh craft beer I ordered to try and which I am now addicted to 😭 because it taste phenomenal. Jam Doughnut flavour and Tropical Mango Pineapple flavour IPA 5.5 ABV so goood 😋😋😋
20200515_180932.jpg

Jam Doughnut flavour and Tropical Mango Pineapple flavour IPA
LOL, I am glad ya like that beer and I would be more than willing to try one but I am not gonna lie the description make it sound awful. I am open minded and would certainly defer to you but without someone vouching for it I don’t think it would make it into my fridge.

Also, I have been known to enjoy Miller High Life so who am I to judge.

LOL, I am glad ya like that beer and I would be more than willing to try one but I am not gonna lie the description make it sound awful. I am open minded and would certainly defer to you but without someone vouching for it I don’t think it would make it into my fridge.
Lol 😂😂 do you generally like craft beers? How about blue moon?

Lol 😂😂 do you generally like craft beers? How about blue moon?
I like pretty much everything beerwise I start to get a little squeamish when they start being described using fruit or in this case pastries. Like I said, I am willing to try about anything. There is a brewery out here that made a beer using a yeast culture that was growing in the brewmasters beard (Rogue) and that was pretty good. It would just need a bit of a push to jump on the Jelly Donut beer.

Last edited:
I like pretty much everything beerwise I stat to get a little squeamish when they start being described using fruit or in this case pastries. Like I said, I am willing to try about anything. There is a brewery out here that made a beer using a yeast culture that was growing in the brewmasters beard (Rogue) and that was pretty good. It would just need a bit of a push to jump on the Jelly Donut beer.
I can definitely see how the description isn't exactly selling the product well but trust me its just like blue moon but with unique flavours, not overpowering, so smooth and easy to drink. Smells gorgeous too. I highly recommend it

4th delivered 2 more in progress of Missy Elliot studio albums. Crazy the way missy put Eminem on back in 98 when he wasn't really anybody. Practically gave him 2 full tracks but in the one track. 🔥
View attachment 47048

Also some Welsh craft beer I ordered to try and which I am now addicted to 😭 because it taste phenomenal. Jam Doughnut flavour and Tropical Mango Pineapple flavour IPA 5.5 ABV so goood 😋😋😋
View attachment 47049
Wasn't a fan of the jam one to be honest. Like a lot of the other Tiny Rebel stuff though...

I like their bog standard Cwtch to be honest. I used to be a member of Beer52, and i'm sure I got the jam one as part of that. Liking Drygate up here in Glasgow at the moment - they deliver!
I ordered that red ale but they messed up my order on the bright side I actually ended up with that lot in the picture free lol. Drygate ill check em out thanks 😊

From Japan: Free Jazz, Electro-Jazz and Quadrophonic Big-Band Jazz. From the US: Tom Waits Rock. From UK: UK Jazz and Neo Classical. From Portugal: Rock à la Tom Waits and Nick Cave, Afro-Beat and Hip-Hop.

Yosuke Yamashita Trio - Sunayama
Various - Blue Note Street Part 1
Akira Ishikawa And Count Buffalo Orchestra - Rock Big Band
Akira Ishikawa And Count Buffalo Orchestra - Dynamic Big Band Plays Bacharach

1589615032062.png

Tom Waits - Mule Variations
Richard Spaven - Spaven's 5ive
Mão Morta - No Fim Era O Frio
Mão Morta - Vénus Em Chamas
Cacique'97 - Cacique'97
Fran & Flora - Unfurl
Nerve - 'Trabalho & Conhaque' ou 'A Vida Não Presta & Ninguém Merece A Tua Confiança' + 'A Água do Bongo'

1589615059643.png

Grail time ...never seen one of these in the wild or go online for a reasonable price ... I got very excited when I won this on eBay .

82E38582-B897-4F12-8A0A-90E1E564EEC4.jpegE11C5872-D9C1-44F6-80FC-D20A5ECE22A2.jpegfirst

Hessian bound embossed 1st pressing ...one new ribbon added and £30 including postage becomes closer to a £200 record ..

Joy Division “Still” 1st U.K. press 5000 only

Last edited:
Back