Fresh Grabs

Gilles Peterson Presents: MV4 (Brownswood Recordings, 2020 First Pressing)

A nice compilation of Londons finest musicians recorded live at the BBC Maida Vale studios in London. I believe this was originally going to be a RSD item but because of the delays etc they sold some on their bandcamp.

IMG_5037.jpg

Fresh Quarantined Grabs
9DF3A982-5092-48FC-ACF4-E6CB88DBFE3E.jpeg
Vincent Neil Emerson - Fried Chicken & Evil Women
Chapterhouse - Whirlpool
Tina Brooks - Minor Move
Harry Nilsson - Aerial Ballet
The Roots - Phrenology
Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
The Velvet Underground - The Verve/MGM Albums

Here were deliveries from the past week. Fried Chicken & Evil Women was one my favorite Country LPs of last year. Really happy it received a vinyl pressing. Whirlpool was an album I was unfamiliar with but thanks to a post by @eatdogs on the preorder thread I have since became a fan and decided I need to pick this on up too. The Tina Brooks I purchased mainly because I was on a bit of an Art Blakey kick recently and saw he was responsible for the drums on this session so I figured it was worth a go. The Harry Nilsson is a Sundazed Mono pressing that due to a terrible amazon shipping (they shipped it in a soft padded envelope FFS) the jacket had a nice crease on it. Thankfully, after some pestering of their Customer Service refunded the purchase and let me keep the damaged album. Then along with my VMP albums, I also received another Mono Sundazed release, the VU boxset contains the bands first 3 LPs plus the bonus “1969” comp and Nico’s Chelsea Girl. This should keep me busy during my upcoming work from home stretch.

Last edited:
Fresh Quarantined Grabs
View attachment 37589
Vincent Neil Emerson - Fried Chicken & Evil Women
Chapterhouse - Whirlpool
Tina Brooks - Minor Move
Harry Nilsson - Aerial Ballet
The Roots - Phrenology
Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
The Velvet Underground - The Verve/MGM Albums

Here were deliveries from the past week. Fried Chicken & Evil Women was one my favorite Country LPs of last year. Really happy it received a vinyl pressing. Whirlpool was an album I was unfamiliar with but thanks to a post by @eatdogs on the preorder thread I have since became a fan and decided I need to pick this on up too. The Tina Brooks I purchased mainly because I was on a bit of an Art Blakey kick recently and saw he was responsible for the drums on this session so I figured it was worth a go. The Harry Nilsson is a Sundazed Mono pressing that due to a terrible amazon shipping (they shipped it in a soft padded envelope FFS) the jacket had a nice crease on it. Thankfully, after some pestering of their Customer Service refunded the purchase and let me keep the damaged album. Then along with my VMP albums, I also received another Mono Sundazed release, the VU boxset contains the bands first 3 LPs plus the bonus “1969” comp and Nico’s Chelsea Girl. This should keep me busy during my upcoming work from home stretch.
I'm glad you like the Chapterhouse record. I'm still waiting for my copy to come from Bullmoose... They told me there was a delay. :/

Not sure if anyone has ordered from Funk Night Records in Detroit, but damn they made it happen. Packaged well and threw in some extras. Referred by RRGems, and would recommend both.

Muriel Grossman - Reverence
Estrada Orchestra - Zucker Tanzclub
Odd Jazz Vol 1 produced by The Blassics
Funk Night Records shirt

Freebies, which I know nothing about -

Diasonics - Delirium/Congolian 7"
Misha Panfilov + Shawn Lee - Paradise Cove

9135C04C-8056-4DB3-97FD-65C13D775572.jpeg

Buying records is about as normal as I’ve felt in the past week. I’m gonna have to find an alternative normal though because this lot cost me a fortune.

69505625-08DE-47C4-923B-5FB7FDEB0D03.jpeg
Shabaka and the Ancestors latest and BBNG’s Matthew Tavares & Leland Whitty

CD6088AC-5E64-4A7A-A375-46C574324AC5.jpeg
A pair of Pharoahs

8CBD0D69-BFDF-4A92-9A34-A0E9D9CB3022.jpeg
BBE's latest in their J-Jazz series and an oddity of a jazz reissue from Tidal Waves

CF65B873-CFA6-44D6-B890-88C1DFE4CCD6.jpeg
Smitten by these Sorcerers albums

7D90FA0B-6576-44A9-BE4C-153A71CD9409.jpeg
I have tickets to see Nat Birchall on 30th April but let's face it, that's not likely to happen so this live album may be as close as I get in the near future. And another excellent leftfield release from Jazzman Records.

2E32BB55-3077-4822-99B8-39601B5B404E.jpeg
And EPs and 12 inches aren't generally in my regular purchasing regime but every now and again there's some that just can't be missed. If you dig jazz and you haven't already, listen to this one from Simon Ratcliffe (half of Basement Jaxx) with Binker & Moses. It's truly something else.

Last edited:
A set of Discogs ordered second hand OGs arrived. Given their age the covers and records are really clean. I’m buzzing to get these, especially Goats Head Soup, cleaned and spinning!

View attachment 37975
Great selection.. goats head soup is a cracker ..some lovely druggy ballads ..winter , coming down again.. rockers like heartbreaker and my favourite deep cut “100 years ago”

Great selection.. goats head soup is a cracker ..some lovely druggy ballads ..winter , coming down again.. rockers like heartbreaker and my favourite deep cut “100 years ago”

Yeah! It’s a great trio. I do love goats head soup, that’s the best clash compilation I’ve ever come across, had them both on CD previously. That van is the only one of the three I wasn’t previously acquainted with but I’m trying to fill out most of his discography right now!

Back