Fresh Grabs

šŸ¤£

Its very much another rabbit hole! I'm not quite there yet but still find some artists really fantastic (I also have the Verocai release and love it) but Maia is the one I keep gravitating back to. His story is insane as well, I thoroughly recommend reading up on his time with the Racional cult.....its insane (google it and if your intrigued the 33 1/3 book series has a fantastic volume on his 2 Racional album - written by Allen Thayer). Im also in the fantastic position where my brothers girlfriend is from SĆ£o Paulo and I usually managed to persuade them to pick up a few records for me when they visit.
I've read a bit about him and he sounds a real character. I see Juno has a listing for Racional Vol 3 as impending and I checked it out on Spotify and it's pure šŸ”„

A somewhat eclectic mix.

This Sonny Rollins is an OJC reissue, but uses the DCC plates and was mastered by Steve Hoffman and used an "all vacuum-tube cutting system." It sounds excellent for $16. Highly recommended!

The Bill Evans is also an OJC reissue, though this one is pressed like shit with abundant surface noise and non-fill on Side B. Excellent music though.

WZ and Fear and Loathing are both MOV pressings. I gotta say, every record I've purchased from MOV has been pressed extremely well. I also appreciate the Fear and Loathing deadwax quotes.

0121200912~2.jpg0121200916_HDR~2.jpg

One perk of my job is sometimes people leave stuff to the free bin and I can snag them. Got this box of records for free tonight. Only got to glance through it but some stuff I want and some others may just be art others will go to my son so he can start leaning to spin. Came from 2nd @Jake! @EmeryRK you gonna come flip through these??

18B5667D-5967-4FE0-AEF5-D2E9078BFDF0.jpeg

One perk of my job is sometimes people leave stuff to the free bin and I can snag them. Got this box of records for free tonight. Only got to glance through it but some stuff I want and some others may just be art others will go to my son so he can start leaning to spin. Came from 2nd @Jake! @EmeryRK you gonna come flip through these??

View attachment 30206
Whatchu doing tomorrow night? ;)

Holy cow, I just picked up "Bizarre Tribe" which is essentially a bootleg, and this thing has the biggest crater in it I've ever seen... I want to play it, but I'm fairly certain this would rip my stylus off.

20200123_000533.jpg

God that's huge, why can't I make this picture smaller. THERE SHOULD BE A WAY TO MAKE SMALLER PICTURES

Whaddya think guys? Should I try it?

Last edited:
Holy cow, I just picked up "Bizarre Tribe" which is essentially a bootleg, and this thing has the biggest crater in it I've ever seen... I want to play it, but I'm fairly certain this would rip my stylus off.

View attachment 30216

God that's huge, why can't I make this picture smaller. THERE SHOULD BE A WAY TO MAKE SMALLER PICTURES

Thats awful, looks like something pressed into it while it was setting.

On a side note I LOVE Amerigo Gazaway, his stuff is so clever. Whilst they are bootlegs, I have seen a few cases of the original groups praising him, so its not all bad. I thoroughly recommend 'Fela Kuti Vs De La Soul - Fela Soul' and 'Yasiin Gaye: The Departure' if you haven't already heard them? The BB King / Underground Kingz is good as well but I wasnt as familiar with the original music so it had less of an impact on me compared with the others.

View attachment 30216

1579785083109.gif

Winter Fresh Grabs
65F8F089-15FF-42DE-BB44-754FEE8C0142.jpeg
Nirvana - In Utero
The Band - The Band

I picked up some 45 RPM goodness. Both of these are anniversary editions In Utero I s the 3XLP 20th and The Band is the 2XLP 50th respectively both are 45 RPM. For some reason when I started collecting I purchased an unofficial pressing of In Utero because I thought it would be cool to own it on clear wax and while it sounds fine I have been eyeing the 45 RPM pressing for a while now and finally pulled the trigger. I pre-ordered The Band 50th Anniversary back in September along with the colored represss of Nirvanaā€™s Unplugged LP from UDiscover Music so I would be eligible for free shipping. Unfortunately they had issues getting copies of The Band and my order was delayed for months. They finally notified me that they were not going to be getting any copies in the foreseeable future so I decided to cancel my order with them (fingers-crossed that I still receive the colored Unplugged since it is now sold out everywhere). The funny thing is I was immediately able purchased a copy that off Amazon for less than the what I paid for UDiscover Pre-order and had the album in hand one day later. Oh well.

Last edited:
Thats awful, looks like something pressed into it while it was setting.

On a side note I LOVE Amerigo Gazaway, his stuff is so clever. Whilst they are bootlegs, I have seen a few cases of the original groups praising him, so its not all bad. I thoroughly recommend 'Fela Kuti Vs De La Soul - Fela Soul' and 'Yasiin Gaye: The Departure' if you haven't already heard them? The BB King / Underground Kingz is good as well but I wasnt as familiar with the original music so it had less of an impact on me compared with the others.
I have Fela Soul and it's fantastic, so I grabbed this one and also The Miseducation Of Eunice Waymon, they're both fantastic. I haven't heard any of the other mixes yet but I'll definitely go through them. I did drop a needle on this just to see and actually I only got about four hits of light right channel crackle. Nothing violent at all so while it's not ideal I don't think it's causing any great distress. I'm going to check back at my local today to see if the other copy has the same issue but when I checked them yesterday I think they both had this same crater in the same spot, which is odd. Unless I somehow mixed up the copies after I looked at them...

View attachment 30206

Is that All Things Must Pass?

Back