Fitness!

Bought my first pair of bluetooth in ear headphones for working out and mostly running with, but I'm not sure how I like them. Because they make that seal in my ear I hear every step of my run with a pounding thud that definitely affects how I hear the music. I never had that with the cheapo in ear wired headphones I have, or even when sharing airpods when running with my wife.

Do people just get used to that sound? Fellow runners, do you use sealing in ear headphones? Does it not bother you?
I’ve been using Bose SoundSport Free for over two years now and they work excellent without that pounding thud. I had that same issue with, probably half a dozen cheap headphones I’ve tried over the years. I saw someone recommend those for that issue and it hasn't happened. Sound quality is excellent too.

I am officially back in the gym on light duty. I pulled my left glute right before Mardi Gras and have been out of the gym for about 4 weeks. I felt like I needed to start going back to the gym, even if I don't push myself as much so I don't fall out of the practice of working out. I really shouldn't do any zumba for a couple more weeks which is killing me, but I've done a couple yoga classes. I've been pretty good, but have had to back out of some poses because of my left leg. I am thinking of going for a swim tomorrow--so I don't strain my leg too much but I still get cardio--and I am considering going back to zumba toning on Wednesday with the understanding that there will be no hoping or jumping for me. But most of this class is done with weights and most of it is for the upper body, so I think I might ease back into my routine this way.

Anyone else had to take a hiatus due to injury?

I am officially back in the gym on light duty. I pulled my left glute right before Mardi Gras and have been out of the gym for about 4 weeks. I felt like I needed to start going back to the gym, even if I don't push myself as much so I don't fall out of the practice of working out. I really shouldn't do any zumba for a couple more weeks which is killing me, but I've done a couple yoga classes. I've been pretty good, but have had to back out of some poses because of my left leg. I am thinking of going for a swim tomorrow--so I don't strain my leg too much but I still get cardio--and I am considering going back to zumba toning on Wednesday with the understanding that there will be no hoping or jumping for me. But most of this class is done with weights and most of it is for the upper body, so I think I might ease back into my routine this way.

I strained my lower back setting down a 510lb deadlift. I lifted it fine but just before it got to the floor I let tension go for that last 1/2". That was the Friday before DST and I still feel it. The week of DST is utter shite anyhow so I de loaded and focused on yoga and rowing. I think maybe next week I can be 100%.

i use bone conducting aftershokz
really like them for all my workouts !
Amazon product ASIN B07CSMRXLC

Wait, what? This is a thing?! haha I've never heard of bone conduction, but they work well? You can drown out exterior sounds with them?

I’ve been using Bose SoundSport Free for over two years now and they work excellent without that pounding thud. I had that same issue with, probably half a dozen cheap headphones I’ve tried over the years. I saw someone recommend those for that issue and it hasn't happened. Sound quality is excellent too.

These are actually nice headphones so I wasn't sure if it was just something that always happens with that style or if it could be avoided. I'll have to check out those SoundSport Frees, thanks!

Wait, what? This is a thing?! haha I've never heard of bone conduction, but they work well? You can drown out exterior sounds with them?

These are actually nice headphones so I wasn't sure if it was just something that always happens with that style or if it could be avoided. I'll have to check out those SoundSport Frees, thanks!
No you cannot drown out exterior sounds which is exactly the point. They really are a very safe means of listening while running around traffic and violent offenders hiding in the bushes. The bass response is extremely lacking but otherwise they sound really good these days. The first iterations not so much.

Yeah what @debianlinux said belwo really- Im totally happy with sound as is - Ive actually ditched my Airpod Pros and given to my daughter as I like to hang these around neck if not in use. The do come with Foamn earplugs which then does drown out outside noise and really ramp up the sound. I highly recommend them for workouts and everyday use tbh.
I was dubious about them being effective when talking on phone but when I tried them out on a normal day - They worked just fine also.

Only other recommendation - I tried the Titanium option also - I didnt like - I think the added firmness of metal in band cause a bit of tickly vibration in ear.

I strained my lower back setting down a 510lb deadlift. I lifted it fine but just before it got to the floor I let tension go for that last 1/2". That was the Friday before DST and I still feel it. The week of DST is utter shite anyhow so I de loaded and focused on yoga and rowing. I think maybe next week I can be 100%.

This is what makes me scared to keep increasing my deadlifts. I'm nowhere near 510, but I can already see how easy it can be to mess something up.

True, but there are plenty that give me more than 1/2" of leeway.
To be fair, unless you are competing, 500lb territory is nonsensical (esp for a 165lb person). I'd say 315lb is upper limit for very strong strength building for reps with lots and lots of leeway.

Anyone else having issues with MMR not counting workouts? I’ve been stuck at the same time for about 3 days now.

Anyone else having issues with MMR not counting workouts? I’ve been stuck at the same time for about 3 days now.
No idea - I dont really log in to MMR. Once I got my Garmin Watch - Garmin Connect was all i needed which is connected to MMR and logs everything for the monthly challenges.

Just assumed It does what it should....... Have you tried updating your app and then refreshing ?

No idea - I dont really log in to MMR. Once I got my Garmin Watch - Garmin Connect was all i needed which is connected to MMR and logs everything for the monthly challenges.

Just assumed It does what it should....... Have you tried updating your app and then refreshing ?

Normally I will get a notification that the app needs to be updated and that hasn’t happened. I just checked and I’m still stuck at 34:23 while my Apple Watch reflects 38:02. With exception of my walks, my other workouts I manually enter into MMR.

Normally I will get a notification that the app needs to be updated and that hasn’t happened. I just checked and I’m still stuck at 34:23 while my Apple Watch reflects 38:02. With exception of my walks, my other workouts I manually enter into MMR.

I noticed the same thing over the weekend but it seems to be good now.

On that note I've decided to take a break from these challenges. It seems interest has really died down, as we used to have 10+ participants each month and are down to only 5 this month. If someone else wants to take over setting these up each month that'd be great. But for now, I'm not going to.

yeah, me with my twice broken rib (December and January) and then subsequently strained lower back (February) from trying to avoid my rib :LOL:
finally feeling strong and back at it the past few weeks after being super dedicated about healing and strengthening.

I've been participating in MMR but I get if the logging doesn't work for everyone, I have gone back and forth over time.

My work had a fitness challenge over the last two months, prompting me to dust off my Fitbit. I quickly learned my exerbike-and-yoga regimen wasn’t really pushing my heart rate enough to count as “exercise,” and started running again (a torn meniscus kept me from pushing myself, though ironically it’s been a lot less angry since I’ve been running).

I started at barely being able to do 2 steady miles in late February to breaking 6 miles yesterday, the longest I’ve run since college, and that was once for a half marathon.

Trying to keep the momentum up; the social aspect of the work wellness challenge kept me motivated so now I’m pivoting to over here!

I noticed the same thing over the weekend but it seems to be good now.

On that note I've decided to take a break from these challenges. It seems interest has really died down, as we used to have 10+ participants each month and are down to only 5 this month. If someone else wants to take over setting these up each month that'd be great. But for now, I'm not going to.

Yeah fair point.,

I think monthly challenges are good motivators in the right circumstances, but can also be demotivating.

I'm training for a few challenges and so my Garmin watch is logging a lot of activity. Which Is probably 40% up on a standard month for me. And will continue thru April and into May.
Id happily carry on and even set up if interest. But up to everyone else. Think Id need to befriend a number of people on MMR to make that work too.

And beleive me I have many days of "i can not be assed" many many. Those stupid logged numbers do not tell the whole story :) Did I tell u i mostly hate running.......

It was a big month for the top two again as @ByersVinyl picked up his 2nd trophy by edging out @Manzig to end his string of 4 victories. Congrats @ByersVinyl!

1. @ByersVinyl - 46:54:00 🏆 🏆
2. @Manzig - 42:19:19 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
3. @bfly - 21:08:00
4. @RowBearToe - 8:30:40
5. @trickyseven - 2:46:01

Great work again this month everyone!

These have been a lot of fun and definitely motivating over the past couple years, thank you all for participating!

If someone else does decide they want to keep running these, just be aware that MMR won't let you start challenges retroactively (but you can start them in advance). So if you want it to include all of April you would need to start it today. While I won't be organizing them anymore, I may hop back into the challenges in a month of two if they continue on.

Back