Fitness!

Thought id post some "magic bullet" lifestyle additions - Anyone else have some interesting ones.
Heres a few of mine ive introduced.

Cold Showers - See Wim Hoff.
Breathing techniques - read this Amazon product ASIN 0241289122 and also see Wim Hoff - The Nestor book in particular tuned me in to the importance of Nose breathing - Close your mouth people !
Beetroot shots or tart Cherry - only recently given beetroot shots a go
OPEP resiprators for lung capacity and mainly if you wanna quickly clear lungs.
Steam rm / sauna twice a week.

Thought id post some "magic bullet" lifestyle additions - Anyone else have some interesting ones.
Heres a few of mine ive introduced.

Cold Showers - See Wim Hoff.
Breathing techniques - read this Amazon product ASIN 0241289122 and also see Wim Hoff - The Nestor book in particular tuned me in to the importance of Nose breathing - Close your mouth people !
Beetroot shots or tart Cherry - only recently given beetroot shots a go
OPEP resiprators for lung capacity and mainly if you wanna quickly clear lungs.
Steam rm / sauna twice a week.
I'm curious about the benefits of nose breathing. When I was in ballet, we were constantly being told to breathe from our noses not our mouths because mouth breathing was inelegant and ruined the whole effect. So when I work out, I default to nose breathing. I just wonder how I stumbled my way into healthy.

I'm curious about the benefits of nose breathing. When I was in ballet, we were constantly being told to breathe from our noses not our mouths because mouth breathing was inelegant and ruined the whole effect. So when I work out, I default to nose breathing. I just wonder how I stumbled my way into healthy.
Theres a lot of interesting info in that book - but a really short conclusion
Nose breathing - both in and out appears to be massively better for you than mouth breathing - The books author and a fellow beleiver in Nose breathing carried out a study in which for 2 weeks they literally blocked Nasal passages and forced mouth only breathing, the effects were pretty horrific.
Blood pressure all sorts of measurements went off the scale. They all quickly returned to normal after resuming to Nose breathing.

Although he recommended all sorts of techniques a short conclusion was - there is a perfect breath in and out - Which if you only practiced for 5 mins a day would still be worth it. Im fairly sure it was 5.5 seconds in and out - Yeah thats a bit precise but you can get pretty close.

The books author and a fellow beleiver in Nose breathing carried out a study in which for 2 weeks they literally blocked Nasal passages and forced mouth only breathing, the effects were pretty horrific.
Blood pressure all sorts of measurements went off the scale. They all quickly returned to normal after resuming to Nose breathing.

Breathing through your mouth is still quite different from breathing through your mouth with your nose blocked, though. Did they address that at all? Not being a hater, to be clear, just curious! Because when my nose is stuffed, any breathing feels like work, and that's not the case when my nose is sharing airflow with my mouth.

For me, my biggest magic bullet was finally realizing that operating on a calorie deficit was actually sabotaging a lot of my efforts instead of making me lose weight.

Breathing through your mouth is still quite different from breathing through your mouth with your nose blocked, though. Did they address that at all? Not being a hater, to be clear, just curious! Because when my nose is stuffed, any breathing feels like work, and that's not the case when my nose is sharing airflow with my mouth.

For me, my biggest magic bullet was finally realizing that operating on a calorie deficit was actually sabotaging a lot of my efforts instead of making me lose weight.

Yes it was very much a study of two men and their findings and certainly not the best report cited in the book (they didnt address that issue no ) , but still interesting non the less.
Id have to browse back to quote some good examples (my brain does not often store the details) But my take away from the book which im confident in, is breathing in an out through your nose is definitely beneficial.
Something else I do - I don't have sinus issues but I still occasionally "Neti Pot" And id recommend anyone struggling with sinuses to do this and practice getting used to nose breathing. Neti Pots also great for Hay fever if your a sufferer - I always feel really clear after ive had a wash out. really nice before a run for example.

I believe the health benefits are real.

Something else I do - I don't have sinus issues but I still occasionally "Neti Pot" And id recommend anyone struggling with sinuses to do this and practice getting used to nose breathing. Neti Pots also great for Hay fever if your a sufferer - I always feel really clear after ive had a wash out. really nice before a run for example.
I've heard so many praises for the neti pot but haven't been able to bring myself to do it. But since moving to the house I'm in now I've noticed an increase in my allergies, so it might be time to give it a go.

I've heard so many praises for the neti pot but haven't been able to bring myself to do it. But since moving to the house I'm in now I've noticed an increase in my allergies, so it might be time to give it a go.
it's essentially waterboarding one nostril at a time.

So, I have kind of decided I want to try to start running. It’s a big change for me. I worked out pre pandemic on a treadmill but didn’t run so much as jog or fast walk. Then I tried yoga during the pandemic. But I’ve done nothing for a long time. So I was looking into beginning running. I’ve found the None To Run app which seems decently priced and manageable. Anyone have any experience with it? Also, anyone have any advice for a true beginner to running. I’ll be doing it outside around my block, maybe through the city once I feel comfortable doing so.

So, I have kind of decided I want to try to start running. It’s a big change for me. I worked out pre pandemic on a treadmill but didn’t run so much as jog or fast walk. Then I tried yoga during the pandemic. But I’ve done nothing for a long time. So I was looking into beginning running. I’ve found the None To Run app which seems decently priced and manageable. Anyone have any experience with it? Also, anyone have any advice for a true beginner to running. I’ll be doing it outside around my block, maybe through the city once I feel comfortable doing so.
When I was a kid, I did dancing and swimming but never running. I tried out running in my mid20’s and just downloaded one of those couch to 5K training program. It’s usually a 6-8 week training and despite never running before, after doing the training program, I was able to do a 5K run, though I definitely didn’t come in first.

One of the biggest things is to get proper running shoes. I suggest that you go to a running store and get fit with the right shoes for your feet and the way you run and walk. They should do a gait evaluation to get the right fit. This will be more expensive but once you are fitted, you can usually just buy the next set of shoes from the same brand.

When I was a kid, I did dancing and swimming but never running. I tried out running in my mid20’s and just downloaded one of those couch to 5K training program. It’s usually a 6-8 week training and despite never running before, after doing the training program, I was able to do a 5K run, though I definitely didn’t come in first.

One of the biggest things is to get proper running shoes. I suggest that you go to a running store and get fit with the right shoes for your feet and the way you run and walk. They should do a gait evaluation to get the right fit. This will be more expensive but once you are fitted, you can usually just buy the next set of shoes from the same brand.
I have read having the right running shoes is important, but part of me wonders if I should wait a bit on that. Cause I definitely have a habit of quitting things…

But I don’t want to quit this once I start.

I have read having the right running shoes is important, but part of me wonders if I should wait a bit on that. Cause I definitely have a habit of quitting things…

Getting injured using improper equipment practically ensures failure. Running shoes still make perfectly good everyday shoes.

I 100% back what everyone else is saying. Proper running shoes are a must for a beginner, well, for everyone haha. If you have a running store locally, swing in and have them help fit you for shoes with the type of support you need. If you don't have a store locally, Brooks has a pretty good at home test you can do to determine what type of support you need and then recommends some shoes that will provide it. (Full disclosure: Brooks is all I run in haha)

Also, decent running shoes cost a lot less than a month of physical therapy.

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u3.jpg

I 100% back what everyone else is saying. Proper running shoes are a must for a beginner, well, for everyone haha. If you have a running store locally, swing in and have them help fit you for shoes with the type of support you need. If you don't have a store locally, Brooks has a pretty good at home test you can do to determine what type of support you need and then recommends some shoes that will provide it. (Full disclosure: Brooks is all I run in haha)
If I do this app course thing, I am going to see how it feels to run (in very small doses) in some running shoes I already own. Then I will decide where to go from there. There's a place close by that I'm sure will be able to get me what I need. But I also did check out the Brooks site per your recommendation. That seems like a nice option to have.

If I do this app course thing, I am going to see how it feels to run (in very small doses) in some running shoes I already own. Then I will decide where to go from there. There's a place close by that I'm sure will be able to get me what I need. But I also did check out the Brooks site per your recommendation. That seems like a nice option to have.

I did a 8-week beginning running program on the Peloton app a few months back after trying so many times to start running and failing every time. The goal of the program was to be able to run (or, in my case, quickly jog) for half an hour straight at the end of the 8 weeks. Before I started, I couldn't make it a mile without taking a walk break, but I found the program super helpful for me, and I think it's because it didn't focus as much on "do x minutes of running, then walk for x minutes" interval work, and more on "this week we're working on form, next week cadence, then breathing" etc. And those smaller foundational steps worked very well for me.

Now, like 6 months after I ran a mile for the first time, I'm training for a 10-K, and yesterday I ran for 4.5 miles and felt like I could've kept going. A lot of it is pushing past that wall where you just hate every second you spend running...once I got past that, the improvements starting coming a lot faster and help build up the encouragement to keep improving. But at first, I definitely needed something with structure, and the determination to push through, finish the program, and then take it from there to see if I wanted to keep going (rather than giving up after 2 weeks because I just didn't wanna).

And I get the hesitancy to immediately drop a bunch of money on shoes, but if you get far enough along in your program that you decide to keep up with running, definitely buy new shoes shortly after that (though personally I'm on team On as far as brands go). I switched from cross-training shoes to a pair that's specifically for running after I signed up for the 10-K, and it is crazy (1) how much my metrics started immediately improving, and (2) how much less soreness and pain I dealt with. And for me, there was also a psychological component of "well, I dropped all this money on shoes, I gotta at least get my money's worth" that helped me to motivate myself as I transitioned from the Peloton training to less structured runs.

And don't wear cotton socks! Investing in some quality running socks was another big improvement that I wasn't expecting.

I don't do any running anymore, but I have been wearing Brooks for Zumba for over a year and I also recommend them.

I did a 8-week beginning running program on the Peloton app a few months back after trying so many times to start running and failing every time. The goal of the program was to be able to run (or, in my case, quickly jog) for half an hour straight at the end of the 8 weeks. Before I started, I couldn't make it a mile without taking a walk break, but I found the program super helpful for me, and I think it's because it didn't focus as much on "do x minutes of running, then walk for x minutes" interval work, and more on "this week we're working on form, next week cadence, then breathing" etc. And those smaller foundational steps worked very well for me.

Now, like 6 months after I ran a mile for the first time, I'm training for a 10-K, and yesterday I ran for 4.5 miles and felt like I could've kept going. A lot of it is pushing past that wall where you just hate every second you spend running...once I got past that, the improvements starting coming a lot faster and help build up the encouragement to keep improving. But at first, I definitely needed something with structure, and the determination to push through, finish the program, and then take it from there to see if I wanted to keep going (rather than giving up after 2 weeks because I just didn't wanna).

And I get the hesitancy to immediately drop a bunch of money on shoes, but if you get far enough along in your program that you decide to keep up with running, definitely buy new shoes shortly after that (though personally I'm on team On as far as brands go). I switched from cross-training shoes to a pair that's specifically for running after I signed up for the 10-K, and it is crazy (1) how much my metrics started immediately improving, and (2) how much less soreness and pain I dealt with. And for me, there was also a psychological component of "well, I dropped all this money on shoes, I gotta at least get my money's worth" that helped me to motivate myself as I transitioned from the Peloton training to less structured runs.

And don't wear cotton socks! Investing in some quality running socks was another big improvement that I wasn't expecting.
This is all good to know. Thanks! Yeah the one program I am looking into is a number of weeks, several days a week and it does exactly the thing you're describing - interval running and walking. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know how well that will work for me, but it sounds manageable. I definitely am out of shape when it comes to running / jogging. I can walk around anywhere for a long time and feel fine mostly. But if I go beyond that, I can barely do it for much time at all. I want to get to the point I can easily do it for a 20 minute exercise. Just to use this as a primary way to feel in shape and better mostly. I have never run much except when I was much younger and played soccer. But high school onward, running was just never a thing I wanted to do. So...it's been a while...

This is all good to know. Thanks! Yeah the one program I am looking into is a number of weeks, several days a week and it does exactly the thing you're describing - interval running and walking. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know how well that will work for me, but it sounds manageable. I definitely am out of shape when it comes to running / jogging. I can walk around anywhere for a long time and feel fine mostly. But if I go beyond that, I can barely do it for much time at all. I want to get to the point I can easily do it for a 20 minute exercise. Just to use this as a primary way to feel in shape and better mostly. I have never run much except when I was much younger and played soccer. But high school onward, running was just never a thing I wanted to do. So...it's been a while...
Another big thing that was causing me issues with getting started was that I always tried to go too fast when I was running. Then I would get too worn out too quick, and get discouraged. It took lots of runs where the instructor was in my ear like "SLOW THE F DOWN JUST JOG" before I started listening, and that led to a lot of upside too. But I was 100% in the same boat...I could walk all day and be fine, but the second it went into a jog/run pace, I was a mess.

No experience with that particular app but it sounds cool. I've been running off and on for the past 20 years and I'm about to start back up again soon now that it's getting nicer out and my kids are older. When I start back up again, the biggest thing is consistency, not miles or steps or heart rate. It's always been better for me to do one mile over three days than one three mile day.

And I am 100% on team running shoes the earlier the better. Running is a repetitive motion activity and using shoes that don't support over hundreds or thousands of steps can mess you up. Also I really like running socks.

Finally, I'd suggest keeping one activity as cross training or strength building. You mentioned yoga, I'd maybe keep that up once a week if you can. Otherwise you can do some weight training or biking.

Last edited:
Back