First Concert?

My Dad is a guitarist who has played in bands his whole life. In 1988 he took me to see Joe Satriani at the Newport in Columbus, Oh. It was an awesome experience. His bassist was Stu Hamm who did the whole Peanuts solo which blew my mind. Who knew you could do stuff like that on a bass! Really had a great time that night.

My first Concert was Evanescence back in 2003 during my junior year of High School.

Growing up in Rural Western Massachusetts, going to a concert meant traveling 2 hours to Boston, or 90 minutes to Hartford CT so I didn't see my first real concert until was 17.

I remember it was the last night of the tour and I saw them at the Avalon which is now the House of Blues. Default open for Evanescence and this was the first tour of the Fallen Album.

Being the last night of the tour the bands were having fun and pulling all kinds of pranks. One I remember is particular was when the lights came back on for the encore they had sex dolls in a 69 on stage.

Red Hot Chili Peppers 1/20/07 at US Bank Arena, Cincinnati, OH. I was a freshman in high school.

My parents got me their Greatest Hits CD for Christmas and taped the ticket to the case. I didn't notice it and they had to point it out to me after about a minute of being confused as to why they were acting so excited about me opening a CD. Went with a few buddies and one of their dads. Two college girls behind us smoked weed the entire time and it was nice. It's also the only time I got to see them with John Frusciante. Was hoping to see them last year with John back in the band, but COVID.

Gnarls Barkley opened. I thought they were cool and Crazy was inescapable at the time.

Red Hot Chili Peppers 1/20/07 at US Bank Arena, Cincinnati, OH. I was a freshman in high school.

My parents got me their Greatest Hits CD for Christmas and taped the ticket to the case. I didn't notice it and they had to point it out to me after about a minute of being confused as to why they were acting so excited about me opening a CD. Went with a few buddies and one of their dads. Two college girls behind us smoked weed the entire time and it was nice. It's also the only time I got to see them with John Frusciante. Was hoping to see them last year with John back in the band, but COVID.

Gnarls Barkley opened. I thought they were cool and Crazy was inescapable at the time.

Haha! Your parents probably didn't anticipate turning you on to weed.......and college girls!

Haha! Your parents probably didn't anticipate turning you on to weed.......and college girls!
Haha, no kidding! I've never really had an affinity for using it personally, but I don't complain about a nice contact high when the mood is right. And the college girls....*swoon*! I went to an all guy high school so you can imagine.

I was told later that my aunt and uncle, who were in college as the whole alternative/grunge thing exploded in the late 80's early 90's and were participants the scene, advised my parents against getting me the ticket because RHCP were inappropriate for someone my age. I'm pretty sure they ended up taking their kids to see Ween as their first concert years later so lol.

Haha, no kidding! I've never really had an affinity for using it personally, but I don't complain about a nice contact high when the mood is right. And the college girls....*swoon*! I went to an all guy high school so you can imagine.

I was told later that my aunt and uncle, who were in college as the whole alternative/grunge thing exploded in the late 80's early 90's and were participants the scene, advised my parents against getting me the ticket because RHCP were inappropriate for someone my age. I'm pretty sure they ended up taking their kids to see Ween as their first concert years later so lol.
Clearly your aunt and uncle lost track of the Peps sometime in the 20th century.

My first concert ever was David Gilmour at the San Diego Open Air Amphitheater in 1984. My dad took me and a friend of mine.

My first big show was Rush at the San Diego Sports Arena on the Presto tour in 1990. Funny, all these years, I could have sworn that Faith No More opened for them, but nope, it was Mr Big. I know I saw FNM open for someone though...

Man, would loved to have seen Buckley live.
It was a slightly surreal one for me as it's the one and only concert I went to with my Mum. He was in quite a feisty mood, playing Kick Out The Jams and a thrash version of Eternal Life and it was a bit much for her. It has also started snowing and we live a fair distance from Wolverhampton so she stressed about driving home, and I'm not entirely sure if we stayed for the last song or not. I think Beastie Boys were playing in the Civic Hall itself and Buckley round the corner at Wulfrun Hall, and there was a snowball fight after. I loved it. I found a poorly recorded bootleg of it online - what a loss his death was.

Depeche Mode at Starplex in Fair Park with opener Nitzer Ebb during the 1990 World Violation Tour. Sat out on the lawn with a buddy and two girls we invited. I was a newly turned 14. I think I did right by my two daughters. Their first concert was Billie Eilish.

Depeche Mode at Starplex in Fair Park with opener Nitzer Ebb during the 1990 World Violation Tour. Sat out on the lawn with a buddy and two girls we invited. I was a newly turned 14. I think I did right by my two daughters. Their first concert was Billie Eilish.
My second concert was Depeche Mode with Book of Love on the Black Celebration tour. Such a great live band.

I have mentioned this a few times on the forum, but my first gig was Franz Ferdinand at the Manchester Arena.

I was a latecomer to concerts because I grew up in a very small town surrounded by small villages and fields, with no venue in sight. The closest one was more than an hour away with no real way of getting there. A few of us went to Manchester to see Franz Ferdinand and it was a fantastic night. I crowed surfed to the front and was pulled down by the bouncer, but landed on my arm. I didn't realise until the next day that I had actually broken it, I guess I was just so pumped with adrenaline.

Faith No More, September 26 1991!
Setlist (according to Setlist.fm):

1. From Out of Nowhere
  2. Surprise! You're Dead!
  3. Epic
  4. As the Worm Turns
  5. The Real Thing
  6. We Care a Lot
  7. Woodpecker From Mars
  8. War Pigs
  9. Death March
  10. Introduce Yourself
  11. Underwater Love
  12. The Crab Song
  13. Falling to Pieces
  14. Chinese Arithmetic
  15. As the Worm Turns
  16. Zombie Eaters
  17. Edge of the World
I went with a friend and we've been going to concerts together at least twice a year ever since (we live in different towns now).
Last one was on March 14 2020, The Toasters, right before lockdowns began here in Brazil.

Back