First Concert?

Russ I

I was listening to Traffic’s John Barleycorn Must Die and thinking back to my first concert experience, and thought it might be fun to hear from others about the first time you went to a live show.

I’ve looked this up to verify the date. My first concert was Traffic in 1972 at the Long Island Arena in Commack, New York. I would have been 15, in 10th grade, and as wild as it seems to me now, I went with my “girlfriend” at the time, who was a year or two younger than me. We must have gone with her older sibling or something, because I know we weren’t there with parents. To that point in my life I probably had been raised on British-invasion music (Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Herman’s Hermits) along with the likes of The Monkees, Tommy James & the Shondells, and whatever else would have been playing on local radio stations. In that context, Traffic’s music was a world unto itself and unlike anything I’d ever heard before. The horns were a big part of that, but I think it was more the somewhat jazzy/psychedelic nature of the music, because I was familiar with Chicago's sound, but that was much more mainstream. To be honest, I probably wasn’t very impressed at the time, but something definitely stuck because I love Traffic's sound and 2 or 3 of their records are all-time favorites of mine. What I could find online indicates that J.J .Cale would have opened the show; I definitely don’t remember that!

As I think back on this I feel like I can still connect to how new and different the experience was, but it would be only a matter of a couple of years before friends and I were frequenting shows at the Nassau Coliseum, ducking down in our cars in the parking lot to hide from security while we passed around our joints, and hoped the fucking Viet Nam war would end before we were old enough for our numbers to be called!

So what was your first concert and what do you remember about it?

I was 13 and my first concert was Iron Maiden on the 2012 world tour. There was a lot of weed and drunk people, but I didn’t care cause Maiden killed it on stage that night. Got all the hits out and I loved every minute of it. I don’t even remember who the opening acts were that night because Maiden was all I cared about.

Saw them with my dad and a few of his friends with their kids. Metal and rock concerts were always places where my dad and I would bond because I loved all the same stuff he did. I really miss metal concerts now :(

I was 13 and my first concert was Iron Maiden on the 2012 world tour. There was a lot of weed and drunk people, but I didn’t care cause Maiden killed it on stage that night. Got all the hits out and I loved every minute of it. I don’t even remember who the opening acts were that night because Maiden was all I cared about.

Saw them with my dad and a few of his friends with their kids. Metal and rock concerts were always places where my dad and I would bond because I loved all the same stuff he did. I really miss metal concerts now :(
Really awesome that your dad shared that with you. 🍻

When I was a teen I inherited my first record collection. All The Beatles and some of the more pop stuff came from my mom. All of the rock stuff came from her brother, my uncle, who was in a nursing home due to MS. Among those records was John Barleycorn Must Die - I was immediately caught by the fantastic opening of the album.

Anyhow, my first concert was Smashing Pumpkins on The Mellon Collie tour on Jan. 25, 1997 at the New Haven Coliseum in New Haven, CT. I was 13. The venue is no longer there.

Fountains of Wayne opened. I didn't know much about them back then, except the single Radiation Vibe had been receiving some play on alternative radio.

My dad took me. My parents had divorced a few years back and I vaguely remember my father coming over to the house earlier in the winter to surprise me with the tickets as a Chanukah gift.

I was so happy. They were the first band I really loved. Like being a 12/13 year old saving birthday and holiday money to go buy CD bootlegs of concerts at a local shop kind of love. Figuring out how to get my hands on Vieuphoria and stalking fan sites to learn as much as I could about Billy and the gang when sites all looked like they'd been designed for an elementary school project and I had to scrounge for AOL free minutes kind of love.

My dad wore earplugs the entire time. He was a champ. He did not care for the music (he was more of The Beach Boys, Frankie Valli, Neil Diamond kind of guy), but let us stay for the entire night through the encore.

I got a beautiful tour exclusive t-shirt that night. Over the years my interest in SP waned (after Adore there is no point) and the shirt was lost in the usual changes of life. However, a couple of years ago I tracked down the same shirt from the MCIS tour on eBay. It's one size too big (so a lounge around T-shirt, really) and I paid a little bit for it. But it's packed with nostalgia.

My first real show (not local bands, high school hacks, etc...) was Elton John, Charlotte Coliseum, Charlotte, NC 7-14-76.

My "babysitters", a couple high school age sisters that made sure I didn't burn the neighborhood down after school each day, took me along. They were very cool.

Somehow, this artifact, a tour program purchased at the show, has survived all these years...

20210118_005321.jpg

When I was a teen I inherited my first record collection. All The Beatles and some of the more pop stuff came from my mom. All of the rock stuff came from her brother, my uncle, who was in a nursing home due to MS. Among those records was John Barleycorn Must Die - I was immediately caught by the fantastic opening of the album.

Anyhow, my first concert was Smashing Pumpkins on The Mellon Collie tour on Jan. 25, 1997 at the New Haven Coliseum in New Haven, CT. I was 13. The venue is no longer there.

Fountains of Wayne opened. I didn't know much about them back then, except the single Radiation Vibe had been receiving some play on alternative radio.

My dad took me. My parents had divorced a few years back and I vaguely remember my father coming over to the house earlier in the winter to surprise me with the tickets as a Chanukah gift.

I was so happy. They were the first band I really loved. Like being a 12/13 year old saving birthday and holiday money to go buy CD bootlegs of concerts at a local shop kind of love. Figuring out how to get my hands on Vieuphoria and stalking fan sites to learn as much as I could about Billy and the gang when sites all looked like they'd been designed for an elementary school project and I had to scrounge for AOL free minutes kind of love.

My dad wore earplugs the entire time. He was a champ. He did not care for the music (he was more of The Beach Boys, Frankie Valli, Neil Diamond kind of guy), but let us stay for the entire night through the encore.

I got a beautiful tour exclusive t-shirt that night. Over the years my interest in SP waned (after Adore there is no point) and the shirt was lost in the usual changes of life. However, a couple of years ago I tracked down the same shirt from the MCIS tour on eBay. It's one size too big (so a lounge around T-shirt, really) and I paid a little bit for it. But it's packed with nostalgia.
Damn, that's a beautiful story! Sounds like a really special night (and an awesome record collection from your mom and uncle!) and another score for a dad! Thanks for sharing it.

My first real show (not local bands, high school hacks, etc...) was Elton John, Charlotte Coliseum, Charlotte, NC 7-14-76.

My "babysitters", a couple high school age sisters that made sure I didn't burn the neighborhood down after school each day, took me along. They were very cool.

Somehow, this artifact, a tour program purchased at the show, has survived all these years...

View attachment 84278
Unbelievable that you still have that program! I would have loved to see Elton John, but I'm pretty sure that never happened. :D Billy Joel, being a Long Islander, was the Piano Man who was always popping up for shows I had access to.

What an awesome photo of Elton John. Never seen that one before. Really tame since I'm pretty sure he'd been glitzing it up big-time by 1976.

I count 2 as my first gigs.

My first gig was Jethro Tull with my parents in 1993. My dad is a huge fan, and would go and see them every time they passed through Glasgow. It was a pretty sedate affair, all seated in a concert hall, but we were right behind the mixing desk, and it was exciting as a 15 year old to see all of that kind of stuff.

The first gig I went to see unsupervised was a year later - Soundgarden and Tad at the Barrowlands. An amazing gig. I do remember standing more to the back as I was to intimidated to go into the pit. Quickly got over that, but my default position is now always to the back of a venue.

Unfortunately, had everything run it's course the way it should have, Nirvana would have been my "second" first gig...

I was 15 and saw The Vienna Boys Choir at The Kennedy Center. I haven’t been to as swanky a show since.

My next show was Lock Up opening up for Sea Hags at the Thunderbird in Jacksonville NC. Me and a couple of friends had to get a marine to buy us tickets outside the bar. I was sixteen. So you know, it was down hill from there.

Aerosmith in 1998 at the now torn down Bradley Center on Milwaukee. It was the start of my freshman year of high school, so I was 14. I remember being so excited about it then it got postponed a couple months! I went with my sister and cousin, and it was the first time seeing them smoke a cigarette which took me by surprise. The show was great. A lot of Nine Lives songs that they rarely ever played at any later shows I've been to. Seven Mary Three was the opener. I still have my beat up concert tee, and ticket stub from it.
20210118_062959.jpg

Back