February 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread - Games People Play

Day 24 - Chess - Play something royal

Just realized I forgot to post this yesterday. I only got through the first three sides last night, but finished it this afternoon. Another great set from 👑 Gizzard.

View attachment 130387

I've seen many headless guitars but this is my first headless guitarist.

Last edited:
Day 25 - Trivial Pursuit - Play anything from your collection, and give us a little trivia about it

Edgar Winter Group - They Only Come Out At Night

The sound engineer for this album, and for the band on tour for the surrounding years was my dad. His name, George, is listed in the thanks on this album. I'm only not putting the last name here because it's not very common and I don't need any of my students finding me online 😅

But during the 70s my dad got to travel the world with the band and did a lot of shows with Johnny too. He was mostly friends with Rick Derringer from what my mom told me. My dad died in the 80s so I was never able to talk to him about this like I wish I could have. But in a small world kinda way I was in Brazil working and one night while having dinner with my boss at the time and the owner of a local company, he mentioned that he had seen Edgar Winter the week before. Turns out that he and my boss had seen Edgar dozens of times since the 70s and were both likely at shows that my dad was at too. Music makes the world small and I love that.

Screenshot_20220225-213624.jpg
Also I love Trivia Pursuit but it's a game rarely anyone wants to play with me, especially this one that only one friend could ever play with me (both English majors and big book nerd collectors) but I've hung on to it for years any way!

IMG_20220225_213502__01.jpg

Last edited:
Day 25 - Trivial Pursuit - Play anything from your collection, and give us a little trivia about it

Blu & Exile - Below The Heavens

20220225_220043.jpg

This album, hailed an underground hip hop classic, was originally released in 2007 by a label, Sound In Color that folded shortly after its release. The album though steadily gained traction and the fact that only 3000 cds (and nothing else) were pressed (of which I have one) meant that the secondary market went crazy. Cds were going for hundreds. It would be 4 years before the album was reissued on cd and 5 before its first vinyl pressing. Below The Heavens also contains early features from Miguel from years before he blew up and became an R&B superstar.

The first use of the name "Puscifer" was on the first Mr. Show epidode in 1995...w/ Maynard and Adam Jones.

Puscifer – "V" Is For Vagina
Puscifer Entertainment – 10842, 2007/2016

Cut by Chris Bellman
Pressed at Rainbo

ThAd2p.jpg

kgjUIq.jpg

Day 26 - Clue - Play a mysterious artist or record OR one that deals with murder/weaponry

This release has many mentions of weapons - even the variant is "weapon" themed.

Eut5mf.jpg

The releases also came with a random player card...

0gkRtl.jpg

John Morris – Clue: The Movie (Music From The Paramount Motion Picture)
Enjoy The Ride Records – ETR132, 2011/2022

Limited to 500
Gold/Silver Split With Red Splatter - "Weapons Split With Blood Splatter"

Pressed at GZ

90kXsx.jpg

tyxVKY.jpg

Day 25: Trivial Pursuit

Bob Dylan & The Band - The Basement Tapes

This first official release of any basement material came in 1975, after several years of various songs circulating in bootleg form. Dylan himself wasn't too involved in the selection process, whittling down 100+ recordings onto this double-album set. Instead Robbie Robertson took the lead (big surprise). Controversially, it includes several Band recordings not made in Woodstock or with Bob, and likely "roughed up" a bit to blend in better, recorded in the several ensuing years. I didn't know this for a long time, but it doesn't matter much to me. I think the "album" (was never recorded with that in mind) flows beautifully and covers most of the highlights of the 2013 release of the Complete Basement Tapes.

Also, Big Pink is apparently available to rent as a vacation home on VRBO, though the basement doesn't seem to be included: Legendary Big Pink in Saugerties/Woodstock - Saugerties

PXL_20220226_160110715~2.jpg

Day 25 - Trivial Pursuit
Drive-By Truckers – Southern Rock Opera

20220226_145403.jpg

Relatively well-known trivia, but I wanted to finally spin this after picking it up a couple of weeks ago: In addition to being years in the making in order to hone such a lofty concept, this album was an early example of crowdfunding that preceded Kickstarter and Indiegogo by many years in order to manufacture and distribute the finished recordings. Utilizing their website in the early days of direct internet engagement, as well as word of mouth while playing shows, the band offered donors a 15% interest return on their investment in order to print copies of the album's initial release.

And thank goodness they did as Southern Rock Opera was a breakthrough and continues to be not just a brilliant piece of work, but an excellent example of "fakelore" - a term first shared with me by Canadian author and rock star Dave Bidini (of Rheostatics fame) and credited (by Dave at least) to Henry Adam Svec who himself worked on many projects that would blend fact, fiction, history and storytelling like this album does, telling the story of growing up in The South through a fictional band who shares details with DBT intertwined with the history, both real and imagined, of Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Personally, I think DBT's best album was still ahead of them from this point, but Southern Rock Opera will likely remain their most impressive album forevermore.

Last edited:
Day 26 - Clue - Play a mysterious artist or record OR one that deals with murder/weaponry

SAULT - 5

20220226_203510.jpg

Though its almost an open secret in online circles, the band has never confirmed their identities. No press. No promo. No interviews. No photos. No videos. No live performances. Just a string of 5 albums released in a 2 year span.

The Twilight Sad - Fourteen Autumns & Fifteen Winters

The band's name comes from a line in a poem by Wilfred Owen: "Sleep mothered them; and left the twilight sad." Owens' work was mostly published posthumously, as he died in World War I, killed in combat at the age of 25 just a week before Armistice Day. His death is all the more tragic considering that at that point the armistice was a forgone conclusion, but both sides kept going through the motions of war up to, and throughout, the day of the armistice. His mother received the notice of her son's death just as the bells celebrating the war's end were ringing in her town.

IMG_20220226_185713022.jpg

Day 25 - Trivial Pursuit
Drive-By Truckers – Southern Rock Opera

View attachment 130461

Relatively well-known trivia, but I wanted to finally spin this after picking it up a couple of weeks ago: In addition to being years in the making in order to hone such a lofty concept, this album was an early example of crowdfunding that preceded Kickstarter and Indiegogo by many years in order to manufacture and distribute the finished recordings. Utilizing their website in the early days of direct internet engagement, as well as word of mouth while playing shows, the band offered donors a 15% interest return on their investment in order to print copies of the album's initial release.

And thank goodness they did as Southern Rock Opera was a breakthrough and continues to be not just a brilliant piece of work, but an excellent example of "fakelore" - a term first shared with me by Canadian author and rock star Dave Bidini (of Rheostatics fame) and credited (by Dave at least) to Adam Henry Svec who himself worked on many projects that would blend fact, fiction, history and storytelling like this album does, telling the story of growing up in The South through a fictional band who shares details with DBT intertwined with the history, both real and imagined, of Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Personally, I think DBT's best album was still ahead of them from this point, but Southern Rock Opera will likely remain their most impressive album forevermore.
Henry Adam Svec! Holy shit I didn't think I'd ever encounter a reference to him on this forum. Have you heard his Livingston records?

Back