February 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread - Games People Play

ranbalam

Hello and welcome to the February Spin Challenge - Games People Play
Thanks to @avecigrec for running January and kicking off the year.
Also, thanks to @TenderLovingKiller® for running the sign-up for all of these monthly challenges.

This month's theme is games. I played a LOT of games growing up: Board games, card games, word games...I pretty much loved them all. So I decided to focus on that and work the daily categories around some of my favorite games. Also, I'll have two giveaways at the end of the month, more on that below.

For this challenge the typical parameters apply:
Define the daily topic in any way you see fit, and play a record that corresponds. It's not necessary but feel free to give us a story or reason for your choice
Try not to duplicate albums that have been chosen for the same topic
There is no elimination
You can catch up if you fall behind or skip days or jump in late. Whatever floats your boat.
There are a couple "OR" days in there, play one or the other or both.

For the giveaways...
Now that Bandcamp is waiving their revenue share again on the first Fridays of the next few months, I'm going to email two $20 Bandcamp gift cards; one each to separate winners of two random entries.
To be entered into Drawing One you need to post at least twice during this month. Once you post twice you get a single entry, and that's the max.
To be entered into Drawing Two you need to post a pic of one of these games on the day you post your record. It can be you and friends/family playing it, or the game laid out with your pet trampling on it, or even just the box of the specific game mentioned. Feel free to post game pics as often as you like throughout the month, but each person only gets a single entry into that drawing. And please, don't feel you need to participate in the game-pic-post portion of this challenge, I don't want that to be a reason that someone opts out entirely.
I'll track entries to both in the first two reserved spots below this first post and I'll 'at' each person as they qualify.

The drawing for both will likely be on March 2nd.

Ok, here we go. I hope you all enjoy this take on the monthly challenge. Have fun!

Day One - Uno - Play an artist or band's first album
Day Two - Risk - Play something you bought without listening to first/went in blind.
Day Three - The Game of Life - Play a record that deals with or has a song that deals with mortality
Day Four - Connect Four - Think of an artist that had a great four record run. Play any (or all!) of the four
Day Five - Five Card Draw - Play something with a drawing on the cover or play something related to poker
Day Six - Mastermind - Play a record by an artist that strikes you as being very intelligent
Day Seven - Scattergories - Play an artist or album that starts with the letter I roll on the big die. Edit: The letter is M
Day Eight - Crazy Eights - Play a record by an artist you are crazy about. .
Day Nine - Backgammon - Play something complex
Day 10 - Candyland - Play something sweet
Day 11 - Go Fish - Play a record you got from someone else OR play an album related to fish or fishing
Day 12 - Perfection - Play a record that is all killer, no filler
Day 13 - Euchre - Play something from the midwest
Day 14 - Hungry Hungry Hippos - Playing something about eating, hippos, marbles or an endless urge.
Day 15 - Pay Day - Play an expensive record OR one that you bought during a record buying spree
Day 16 - Operation - Play something smooth and steady
Day 17 - Battleship - Play something aquatic
Day 18 - Aggravation - Play an angry record or a record with an angry song
Day 19 - Checkers - Play something with some jump to it
Day 20 - Jenga - Pull an album randomly from the middle of your stack, bin, or shelf and play it
Day 21 - Solitaire - Play an album that features only one performer OR play something you like to listen to when you're alone
Day 22 - Trouble - Play something related to trouble; whether it be a song, the artist, the album itself
Day 23 - Scrabble - NEW - Play something related to a word you see on the Scrabble board shown on Page 29 of this thread
Day 24 - Chess - Play something royal
Day 25 - Trivial Pursuit - Play anything from your collection, and give us a little trivia about it
Day 26 - Clue - Play a mysterious artist or record OR one that deals with murder/weaponry
Day 27 - Sorry - Don't apologize! Play something that you like that isn't well liked/known by others
Day 28 - Monopoly - Play a record by a band or artist that you think is the very best of their genre
Day 28 1/2 - Free Parking - Play anything from your collection, tell us why you chose it

Last edited:

Today is Mike Campbell's birthday. Thought about playing the first Tom Petty record but going with Mike's own band instead. This is their first record released a couple years ago. It's good.

Kinda crazy how much Mike's vocal sounds like Tom. Kinda comforting too...

The Dirty Knobs - Wreckless Abandon

20220201_000213.jpg

Aerosmith - Aerosmith

Screenshot_20220201-091106.jpg

First, I love the theme for this month. It's gonna be fun.
Second, I just noticed these Aerosmith reissues are starting to climb up on discogs.
Third, I picked this because I have had my Aerosmith albums in my to play stack for a bit. And I have my annual review this morning with a boss who we all had a lot of conflict with last year, so I need to be pumped for this.

Courtney Barnett – Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit .... and sometimes I sit and play games.

View attachment 127087

My buddy Knox sitting and thinking.
View attachment 127088
Okay, I'm going to try to play this month. Last month was too much.

I thought that perhaps my cat was cheating on me, but the white patch confirms that this is not my kitty boy. (but I still think he's a cute guy)

Okay, I'm going to try to play this month. Last month was too much.

I thought that perhaps my cat was cheating on me, but the white patch confirms that this is not my kitty boy. (but I still think he's a cute guy)
Ha Ha. He's a sweetie. If you notice, he's sitting on a heating pad, which is very popular this winter! My cats aren't spoiled at all :p

Excellent theme. We played a lot of Uno around here at the beginning of the pandemic, really Uno flip because it's more evil. Our kids run from 14-24, but it's one that everyone would come together on.

Today's pick is a one and only release.

The La's ~ Self Titled

1643736119130.png

Bonus pic of part of our game collection. Like @Turbo my daughter has a bunch as well. But Carcassone is here!

1643736328257.png

Back