February 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread - Games People Play

Day 27 - Sorry
Don't apologize! Play something that you like that isn't well liked/known by others

Circuit Des Yeux - -io

16460449799751056686496438401147.jpg

Haley Fohr of Circuit Des Yeux has been releasing music for over a decade, but she didn't garner much of a scintilla of acclaim/attention until her fifth album In Plain Speech in 2015. At the time of this post, she has less than 10k followers on IG. Her seventh full-length album which was released last year, -io, sparked my interest in Haley's music and prompted me to wade through her back catalogue. Her vocal style, with her distinct and pronounced baritone register, is as captivating as it is challenging.
On this newest venture, she takes the dark classical/darkwave elements that she had experimented with on past records and ups the ante tenfold. A song like "Stranger" feels like an exorcism.
This one is freshly signed as I just saw Haley in concert last night, a very apropos venue at a dimly lit small capacity church.

Day 27 - Sorry
Don't apologize! Play something that you like that isn't well liked/known by others

Circuit Des Yeux - -io

View attachment 130578

Haley Fohr of Circuit Des Yeux has been releasing music for over a decade, but she didn't garner much of a scintilla of acclaim/attention until her fifth album In Plain Speech in 2015. At the time of this post, she has less than 10k followers on IG. Her seventh full-length album which was released last year, -io, sparked my interest in Haley's music and prompted me to wade through her back catalogue. Her vocal style, with her distinct and pronounced baritone register, is as captivating as it is challenging.
On this newest venture, she takes the dark classical/darkwave elements that she had experimented with on past records and ups the ante tenfold. A song like "Stranger" feels like an exorcism.
This one is freshly signed as I just saw Haley in concert last night, a very apropos venue at a dimly lit small capacity church.
I'm glad you posted this. I wasn't familiar with them but her voice is excellent! Been streaming the album and I love it. Great stuff.

Day 27 - Sorry - Don't apologize! Play something that you like that isn't well liked/known by others

I really dig The Cult and I really dig this record. For the bulk of their fanbase, this was considered a subpar release. The sound had evolved from Love to Electric to Sonic Temple to Ceremony - four very different albums that were well received. This was the next stage of that evolution and took a confident step into the mid 90s.. Apparently, the buck stopped with this one.

Ian's vocals are really nice on this entire record...

The Cult - S/T

20220228_103318.jpg

Day 27 - Sorry - Don't apologize! Play something that you like that isn't well liked/known by others

I really dig The Cult and I really dig this record. For the bulk of their fanbase, this was considered a subpar release. The sound had evolved from Love to Electric to Sonic Temple to Ceremony - four very different albums that were well received. This was the next stage of that evolution and took a confident step into the mid 90s.. Apparently, the buck stopped with this one.

Ian's vocals are really nice on this entire record...

This prompt really makes me wish I had a copy of Blue Öyster Cult's Club Ninja on wax.

I mean, I often wish that anyhow, but especially right now!

Day 28 - Monopoly - Play a record by a band or artist that you think is the very best of their genre

Genres tend to become very blurred when it comes to music. Gram's vision of Cosmic American Music was a groundbreaker so I'll go with that one...

The Flying Burrito Bros - The Gilded Palace Of Sin

20210513_020807.jpg

Day 26 - Clue - Play a mysterious artist or record OR one that deals with murder/weaponry

SAULT - 5

View attachment 130481

Though its almost an open secret in online circles, the band has never confirmed their identities. No press. No promo. No interviews. No photos. No videos. No live performances. Just a string of 5 albums released in a 2 year span.
Finally got around to checking some of this out, thanks for this, totally digging it at first listen.

Day 28 1/2 - Free Parking - Play anything from your collection, tell us why you chose it

I can't let this challenge end without playing it's namesake song. Embarrassingly, I don't have the Joe South original on vinyl. A cover will have to do.

Good times, @ranbalam.

The Georgia Satellites - In The Land Of Salvation And Sin

20220228_110406.jpg

Last edited:
Day 28 - Monopoly - Play a record by a band or artist that you think is the very best of their genre
many consider this to be the greatest Library record released who am I to argue
50984702248_1d68c2da88_k.jpg

Jay Richford & Gary Stevan – Feelings​

Label:Be With Records – BEWITH094LP
Format:Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, Remastered
Released:19 Feb 2021
Genre:Jazz, Funk / Soul
Style:Jazz-Funk, Easy Listening, Soul-Jazz, Psychedelic
"Feelings is considered an absolute cult inside the library music panorama. As the same Torossi recently said, the album was played only by studio musicians…; the best we could find at the time, and the results show.

The album sees the participation of Sandro Brugnolini, Giancarlo Gazzani, Puccio Roelens and Stefano Torossi, famous songwriters in the field of soundtracks and library music.

Feelings had been released for the first time in Italy by Carosello Records, under the pseudonyms of Jay Richford and Gary Stevan, a necessary choice dictated by contractual restrictions which prevented the two real authors, Brugnolini and Torossi, to appear on other releases. This reissue, published by Schema Records, is a faithful reproduction of the original first edition.

It still isn’t clear why, in its subsequent publications, with particular reference to Musica per commenti sonori (1986, cat. no. CO8605), this album has been released only on behalf of Torossi Stefano, who recently said: We all worked together, including Brugnolini, and consequently, we all signed together the deposit document of each selection, dividing the royalties in equal parts…; That’s the story."

Going on a different direction here. I really enjoy the trend of alternates/demos being released and don't see them referenced often here. I find the process of songwriting / evolution fascinating. Sometimes they just get a single listen for curiosity sake, but sometimes the outtakes are just fantastic. Like this album. The version of Almost Cut My Hair on it is a burner!

Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young ~ Deja Vu Alternates

1646068314109.png

I feel like I post this album too often, but I used the criteria of "If my house was on fire, and I had to grab one record, which would it be?".

Not only were the Grateful Dead the best at what they did, out of all the concerts I've seen over the years, Jerry Garcia was the best at what he did. His playing was just effortless, and it shines on this live album that shows a little more discipline than most of their other live releases.

Grateful Dead ~ One From the Vault

1646074647469.png

Day 28 1/2 - Free Parking
Play anything from your collection, tell us why you chose it

Julia Holter - Loud City Song

16460805463413123989493602839225.jpg

It's my favorite album of the 2010s. That simple.
First record of the three Holter records I handed over to have her sign, I was trembling so much just from getting it out of my shoulder strap bag that I nearly dropped it 😓
Thank you for leading this month's challenge, @ranbalam!

Back