February 2021 Challenge (& Raffle)

Thurs 11 – Do bass players get laid?
Double bass, electric bass, whatever – who’s your favourite player?

So many great choices. Gonna go with someone I feel no one else will choose - Matt Freeman.

Maybe lesser known but he's an absolute beast.

Listen to any Operation Ivy / Rancid record and you'll hear more than a few great runs from Matt.

Exhibit A...

Rancid - S/T

20210211_002829.jpg

Day 11 - bass

REM - Murmur

Could have gone for Macca or Mingus but instead I chose another M - Mike Mills. I love early REM and so much of that is down to him. He played the bass like a lead instrument (in part, I think, as Peter Buck wasn't that good at guitar at this time). Radio Free Europe, Catapult, pretty much everything is so good.

20210211_105957.jpg

Thurs 11 – Do bass players get laid?: Double bass, electric bass, whatever – who’s your favourite player?

Sly and the Family Stone - Fresh

I can't say that I really have a favorite bassist. I definitely love funky basslines but I'm not good at recognizing specific bassists outside of Willie Dixon, Paul McCartney and Mark Hoppus (hell of a trio, I know haha). I'm going to go with Larry Graham of Sly and the Family Stone and Graham Central Station. According to the George Clinton penned insert of this pressing, he was the first to use the slap technique. I'm pretty sure this dude got laid haha

The Mars Volta - Amputechture

To be honest, I really had to think for this one. I don't really have a go-to favourite bassist or bassists like I probably do for guitarists or even drummers. But I've always really enjoyed the groove of Juan Alderete de la Peña, mostly in the Mars Volta but also with his work with Racer X and the few solo Omar Rodriguez-Lopez albums I've heard. When I finally saw the Mars Volta in 2009, Juan had just broken his wrist (in a cycling accident, or something?) the day before but he still laid it down, cast and all.

Come to think of it, this album could have worked for my favourite drummer, too, as this was the last Volta album on which Jon Theodore played. IMO they were never the same after his departure.

PXL_20210211_142537777.jpg

Double bass, electric bass, whatever – who’s your favourite player?

So many great choices. Gonna go with someone I feel no one else will choose - Matt Freeman.

Maybe lesser known but he's an absolute beast.

Listen to any Operation Ivy / Rancid record and you'll hear more than a few great runs from Matt.

Exhibit A...

Rancid - S/T

View attachment 87637

This track instantly came to mind for the bass solo:

Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food

Tons of great bass players I could go with. But I’m going to shout out Tina Weymouth with the Talking Heads. Her bass lines are so bouncy and inventive. As a bass player myself, I always enjoy bassists who can pull off fun and melodic bass lines, while still holding down the low end.

E0AD8C9B-900F-4A95-923E-BA754257DE84.jpeg

Tons of great bass players I could go with. But I’m going to shout out Tina Weymouth with the Talking Heads. Her bass lines are so bouncy and inventive. As a bass player myself, I always enjoy bassists who can pull off fun and melodic bass lines, while still holding down the low end.

View attachment 87655
Uh oh @gafacaode someone beat ya to Tina.

View attachment 87655

Uh oh @gafacaode someone beat ya to Tina.

Back