February 2021 Challenge (& Raffle)

Day 8 - You gotta be there

20210208_225806.jpg

Reba - Rumor Has It

Decided to go with the story of my first concert! I was probably about 7 and the local country music station was doing a birthday show with Reba as the headliner. Because of her TV show I was a Reba FANATIC so I begged my parents to take me. The day of the show it was non stop downpouring and we had lawn seats so we were soaking wet and muddy and surrounded by extremely drunk country fans but I did not care and I was feeling myself out there! Apparently someone from the venue noticed us and and found 4 seats in side the stadium for us! I remember it being like front row but it was probably like the midpoint of the floor of the stadium lol. So we were moved inside just in time for me to see my idol at the time!!!

Mon 8 – You should have been there
Reminisce about your best ever gig, and play a record by that band.

Nick Cave - Murder Ballads

Not the Murder Ballads tour, but the last one at the Schnitzer in Portland was fire. We might've went VIP on this one. Near the end, invited everyone on stage then he came out into the crowd about ten feet away from us and went nuts. The Bad Seeds are ridiculously great too! I've of my favorite artists, and didn't disappoint.

BE5ABE5A-1AEB-4A20-9EAA-1B062A43E7F2.jpegFDFB57ED-D2D5-4F99-8F14-3E612359406A.jpegF15F5E95-0141-4419-A95D-1579C252E53E.jpeg

Day 9 - Duo

20210209_214532.jpg

Twenty One Pilots - Vessel

I've been super nostalgic the past few days for early 2010s alt radio stuff that I used to listen to. Stuff like Cage the Elephant, paramore, imagine Dragons, AWOLNATION etc. Top may be one of the most important acts from that era for me. Tyler Joseph and Josh Dunn really struck a cord for me with this album and it always bring me back to my high school days

Sun 7 – Celebration
Kool & The Gang hit number 1 today in 1981. Play your ultimate party anthem.

Jessie Ware - What's Your Pleasure?

16129437898655782621401340427939.jpg

Gonna be forgoing the superlatives from now on because...really no need.
As for the pick, I'd say this is my COVID-19 party for one anthem of last year!

Day 8: You should have been there

Mar 27, 2000 - I gave myself a birthday present a day early and got tickets for RHCP/Foo Fighters/Muse.

I was really drunk and don't really remember much of the night.

Screenshot 2021-02-10 001203.jpg

Red Hot Chili Peppers ‎– Californication
Warner Bros. Records ‎– 47386-1, 1999/2012

Cut by Chris Bellman
Pressed at Pallas

p9dr6R.jpg

tC4AkO.jpg

Mon 8 – You should have been there

Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want

16129470911324816433356822264241.jpg

Caustic, abrasive, wretched, and relentless. That's how I'd describe Daughters' music best. Seeing them live with Lingua Ignota in December '19 was the best concert experience I've ever witnessed in my short time going to concerts alone. Surprised I didn't get my ear rung out afterwards.

Day 9: Duo

I was going to go with Trent Reznor And Atticus Ross, but changed to this as I have a headache at the moment.

Richard & Linda Thompson ‎– I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight
Island Records ‎– ILPS-9266, 1974

UK pressing

Cut at Sterling
Pressed at EMI

uquhCG.jpg

OJdmT8.jpg

PS For those chafing at all the favourites/ultimates in this month, just play any record you like. I quite like being put on the spot and trying to decide what I like best/one of the ones I like best, but I totally get that some of you don't want to do that so just interpret each theme however you want. Most of all, I just wanted to be introduced to a load of records you all love...

Day 10: Latin

I had something else planned because I didn't think I'd get to play this day now...but I called into work. I figured this one would be taken.

Madlib ‎– Flight to Brazil
Madlib Invazion ‎– MMS-002, 2010/2017

Vinyl Me, Please. Exclusive Pressing - numbered/limited to 1000, #0830

Cut by David Cheppa
Pressed at Rainbo

Ngp81y.jpg

VOM5xq.jpg

Day 10 - Latin
Os Novos Baianos - Acabou Chorare

View attachment 87529
Ah, scooped! Thankfully I have a few options.

Wed 10 – Latin

The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute

This album blew 16-year-old Bjorgen's mind. I was already taken in by mid-'00s "prog rock", as it were, through bands like Coheed and Cambria, but this took it to another entire level. With Omar Rodriguez-Lopez and Cedric Bixler-Zavala of At the Drive-In fame at the heart of the band, they leaned into their roots and melded proggy excess with spacey interludes, Latin grooves and vocals perfectly on this bizarre masterpiece (especially the track "L'Via L'Viaquez"). It is probably responsible for my growing interest in Latin and South American music in my late 20s continuing through today, and is one of the few jewels of my collection.

PXL_20210210_142746171.jpg

Day 10: Latin
Play the album you like the most with a Latin vibe, be it from La Paz or LA.
Pucho & The Latin Soul Brothers - Jungle Fire!
1FFB7FB2-ECB3-4082-9B36-4EDEC798788B.jpeg
What could be more Latin than the Latin Soul Brothers? (turns out a lot, if you actually look at the groups make up). Even still, Pucho brings the Latin vibes and as usual Bernard Purdie kills it on drums.

Last edited:
Back