February 2021 Challenge (& Raffle)

Tues 9 – Duo
Spin your most cherished record made by just two people.

If not for Dexter Romweber and Flat Duo Jets, there'd be no Jack White and The White Stripes.

This. Shit. Rips.

Dex kept the duo thing going after The Jets flamed out with his sister, Sara on drums. RIP Sara. Thanks for everything.

Dex Romweber Duo - Ruins Of Berlin

20210209_004551.jpg

Mon 8 – You should have been there

Metallica - Ride the Lightning

I don’t think I can pick a favorite concert, but seeing Metallica a few years ago at Austin City Limits is definitely up there. One of the most exhilarating shows I’ve ever been to. They played a good number of their older songs and it was glorious.

8E099900-7FB2-46DC-B065-48328B297D72.jpeg

Murder by Death - Red of Tooth and Claw

Not sure if this was the best gig of my life, but it was probably the most memorable. I've told this story before but in my second year of university, a friend and I decided to visit another friend who was living in Kansas at the time during our February reading week. We spent two straight days on a greyhound bus, got reamed out by a customs officer in Detroit because my friend was an idiot who tried to bring Cuban cigars for us to smoke during the reunion, and then from Wichita drove another two days straight to get to Tucson, Arizona, in time to see our favourite band play this album, then their most recent, in full, as well as the album that got us into them a few years earlier, Who Will Survive and What Will Be Left of Them?. Looking back it was kind of bonkers that we decided to do this, spending hundreds of dollars we definitely didn't have at the time, but it was also one of the most fun and memorable things I've ever done and I'm so glad I got to do it with two of my best friends. MBD is also one of the best live bands I've ever seen and after this show, I've seen them about ten more times since, including in Colorado a couple years ago. Will never miss them.

PXL_20210209_211203805.jpg
PXL_20210209_211258954.jpg

Murder by Death - Red of Tooth and Claw

Not sure if this was the best gig of my life, but it was probably the most memorable. I've told this story before but in my second year of university, a friend and I decided to visit another friend who was living in Kansas at the time during our February reading week. We spent two straight days on a greyhound bus, got reamed out by a customs officer in Detroit because my friend was an idiot who tried to bring Cuban cigars for us to smoke during the reunion, and then from Wichita drove another two days straight to get to Tucson, Arizona, in time to see our favourite band play this album, then their most recent, in full, as well as the album that got us into them a few years earlier, Who Will Survive and What Will Be Left of Them?. Looking back it was kind of bonkers that we decided to do this, spending hundreds of dollars we definitely didn't have at the time, but it was also one of the most fun and memorable things I've ever done and I'm so glad I got to do it with two of my best friends. MBD is also one of the best live bands I've ever seen and after this show, I've seen them about ten more times since, including in Colorado a couple years ago. Will never miss them.

View attachment 87461
View attachment 87462
Oh and this show also introduced us to the Builders and the Butchers, who opened, and fucking ruled.

Back