Favorite Album Covers

Some more. One of the things I just love about vinyl is the artwork. Back in the 80’s and 90’s, before being able to sample tracks, I’d buy records just for the cover alone, one of which Thin White Rope cover below.

Others I love match the music contained within. The blurriness of Loveless matches the music perfectly. Hejira encapsulates the mystic, meandering feel of the record.

D671F1CA-C7A6-41BC-8EE8-0E4C20C6F90E.jpeg

1D1AF88F-9DF6-4959-BEF4-3A90BB99203E.jpeg

E26B155B-37FB-4D42-B15D-29CD4D7D2A99.jpeg

94C411C4-CD82-4069-BA6A-FF65394ED947.jpeg

446E346F-BEA8-450A-885E-4F03B33F0A70.jpeg

0EBE8762-E906-42B9-A1F9-F6FFB3A2238A.jpeg

ED013B1C-8A2C-4973-9A94-012ED3AFC870.jpeg

Last edited:
Some more. One of the things I just love about vinyl is the artwork. Back in the 80’s and 90’s, before being able to sample tracks, I’d buy records just for the cover alone, one of which Thin White Rope cover below.

Others I love match the music contained within. The blurriness of Loveless matches the music perfectly. Hejira encapsulates the mystic, meandering feel of the record.

View attachment 3620

View attachment 3622

View attachment 3621

View attachment 3631

View attachment 3623

View attachment 3624
The album covers for Pinkerton and Hejira are so good!

I've always loved that Glenn Branca album cover, too. I just looked it up and it was done by a guy named Robert Longo. I guess it's part of a series he did in the same vein, during that time. Fancy dressed folks contorting and writhing in black and white. THanks for posting it. I'm probably going down that rabbit hole.

I've always loved that Glenn Branca album cover, too. I just looked it up and it was done by a guy named Robert Longo. I guess it's part of a series he did in the same vein, during that time. Fancy dressed folks contorting and writhing in black and white. THanks for posting it. I'm probably going down that rabbit hole.
It’s another I bought just for the cover, although I am a big SY and Lee Ranaldo fan. I had heard of Branca before due to the No Wave scene, but had never heard any of his material. It’s not one I revisit often, but I do really like the album.

If how much I love the album art dictated how much I love the album, this would probably be one of my favorite albums of all time:

Efterklang - Parades

Ironically, at least in my opinion the music itself is actually sorta just okay? Decent dream pop with some artsy baroque influence, that doesn't quite live up to how cool that description sounds. But I've always been in love with just how vibrant and lively and colorful the artwork is!

My neighbor at my previous house gave me this book a few years ago...it's pretty good.

View attachment 3618

Nice. I've actually picked up a couple of books on album art recently. I don't believe I have that one yet, but I should get it. I have this other Roger Dean book, though. I've always liked his YES artwork. It has a forward by Richard Branson, because he did the Virgin logo.

SmartSelect_20190530-200912_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

That Congratulations art sticks with me to this day. A young high school me was experimenting quite a bit and that album soundtracked a ton. My buddy still has the coin that came with the cd on a necklace and I still have my scratched off LP copy (had never seen that before or after). Thanks for that and this thread in general!

That Congratulations art sticks with me to this day. A young high school me was experimenting quite a bit and that album soundtracked a ton. My buddy still has the coin that came with the cd on a necklace and I still have my scratched off LP copy (had never seen that before or after). Thanks for that and this thread in general!
Congratulations is hands down one of my favorite album covers (and favorite albums) ever made. It fits the album so well and it's just something I could look at for hours. And no problem, I love album art and this thread has already given me quite a few albums to check out just based on the covers alone!

Back