Everything Video Games!

I'm at about 80 hours in Hades and I think nearly completed: there's an epilogue and a couple storylines to tie up. 80 hours for $20 is a great deal.

My start was the same. Meg was a huge challenge and I don't think I got past her for a good 5-10 runs. At some point, it'll start to get easier (especially as you build up mirror skills and weapon capabilities and get a grasp on what yo need to succeed), but even this far in they can still be challenging at spots which is really nice.

The game is just impeccable at building on itself too in every aspect. I'm still discovering boon combinations that really work for me this far in.

A couple early tips/thoughts with no spoilery items involved but I'll hide it anyway

• I found it really helpful to auto-choose the +20% Darkness weapon just to build darkness/purple stuff. It's super useful in the mirror upgrades
  • Mirror upgrade wise, a ton of them are useful. I would say focus on to start
    • Death Defiance (Continues): By the time you get to the end, they matter a little less, but I found it essential in the early game and there's also opportunities in the game later to replenish them mid-run which can save run). I've never used Stubborn Defiance, just seems weaker.
    • Boiling Blood (Enhanced Damage Against Foes With Casts in Them) -this will help you get used to using your casts and is HUGELY helpful against bosses where you are using your casts on them a lot more. Of note, some cast types don't have the bloodstones land in an opponent.
    • Infernal Soul (You want your full casting options pretty soon, having three bloodstones / casts at a time is basically free damage)
    • Thick Skin (50 HP is insanely low as a starting point, the full upgrade is functionally two hearts to start off)
    • Greater Reflexes (The extra dash is pretty much a necessity)
  • Early on, I get focusing on living and accumulating Boons, but don't sleep on the necessity of money (coin with !) and POM (big red ball) rooms. The POM upgrades are fairly substantial early on existing boons and having money just makes runs a ton easier with shops: buying health, buying a new boon, buying darkness which can be health, etc.
  • Personally, I would focus on accumulating resources in early runs to make future ones easier. My rankings are as follows in terms of resource collection from most desired to least in the early game
    • Chthonic Keys (unlocks weapons and mirror upgrade options) ->
    • Nectar (gifting nectar unlocks essential keepsakes and progresses the plot), ->
    • Darkness (purchase upgrades in the mirror) ->
    • Gemstones (purchasing house upgrades which can improve the landscape in the run and progress the plot.
      • Note: As the game progressed, I feel nectar becomes more important and gemstones may pass darkness, but you may also get upgrades to add side bonuses to each of these as well. Once you get enough keys for your weapons and mirror, they become a lot less useful except for trading up.
  • Boon Wise, in the beginning I'd just take whatever and try it out and see what you like playstyle wise. With that said, here is my favorite "newbie" boon for each of the available options from the opening of the game: not the best necessarily but those good for most builds and for people working their way around the game. I tried to choose ones that don't have pre-requisites - your late game success will likely rely on Duo Boons and those boons that require other boon to build off of it, but this is all stuff you could potentially find in the first world or two.
    • Athena: Divine Dash: The dash is borderline broken with reflect. It makes projectile opponents a joke most of the time which are some of the more obnoxious early game villains
    • Aphrodite: Aphrodite's Aid (Call): I love weak in general as a status effect as it just, well, let you take more hits and learn more about attack patterns and strategies,, but the call is great for other reasons. At one bar, you can charm an opponent and get out of a sticky situation. The full charge is a damage bomb that can end a phase of a boss battle quickly.
    • Ares: His best boons really depend on your playstyle and build - I'd generally use his on your wider spread/less used attack, but I really like Curse of Vengance for newer folks: inflicting straight damage in a radius when attacked can really get rid of those obnoxious hordes.
    • Artemis: True Shot - it's a no frills cast: more damage, higher crit chance, ignores shields, really darn nice to have.
    • Dionysus: Drunken Strike/Flourish (whichever hits more times for you): hangover is a great status condition that you want to inflict over and over again on many builds. Several of his "non-core" boons (Positive Outlook, Premium Vintage, Strong Drink, After Party) are all good too as support.
    • Poseidon: A bit like Zeus it's playstyle based, but Tidal Dash is a monster. Deals damage and knocked opponents away with a chance of stunning them. It can get amplified really quickly with other boons from Poseidon other sets.
    • Zeus: The thing about Zeus is that Zeus really benefits from more Zeus in many cases. With that said, a basic attack with jolted on a faster attacker is strong in its own right

This is awesome, many thanks! I'm definitely at the resource building stage, and I'm only really 5-6 hours in. Concentrating on getting darkness and the keys at the moment. Just got the spear, which along with the shield and the basic sword are my kind of play style: dash-smash-dash...

I'm at about 80 hours in Hades and I think nearly completed: there's an epilogue and a couple storylines to tie up. 80 hours for $20 is a great deal.

My start was the same. Meg was a huge challenge and I don't think I got past her for a good 5-10 runs. At some point, it'll start to get easier (especially as you build up mirror skills and weapon capabilities and get a grasp on what yo need to succeed), but even this far in they can still be challenging at spots which is really nice.

The game is just impeccable at building on itself too in every aspect. I'm still discovering boon combinations that really work for me this far in.
I feel like I take more damage from Meg's ads then I do her. I'll be focusing on dodging her attacks, and dash right into one of them that was offscreen when I dashed. I also found that her bullet hell attack is very similar to some of the later bosses in Binding of Isaac, so it felt natural for me. I think the one that hits me the most is the aoe slashes, the range is farther than a single dash if you're right next to her.

Just read that, solid article.
As an outsider (someone who wasn't looking forward to Cyberpunk and knew it as the dystopian Keanu game until like a week ago), this whole thing has been fascinating to watch unfold. Seeing clips of the PS4 footage was rough but I never imagined they'd take it off the store. It really sucks for all the employees that dedicated their time to this game for it to be bungled this badly on release. It makes the Fallout 76 fiasco look downright mundane in comparison.

Jim Sterling's videos about CP2077 have been very cathartic.

No offense if you like his stuff, and the criticisms of Cyberpunk are justified but I truly cannot stand this dude. Youtubers who make their entire persona off reveling in shitting on the thing their item of focus (zero punctuation, cinema sins, sterling) drive me absolutely crazy.

No offense if you like his stuff, and the criticisms of Cyberpunk are justified but I truly cannot stand this dude. Youtubers who make their entire persona off reveling in shitting on the thing their item of focus (zero punctuation, cinema sins, sterling) drive me absolutely crazy.
The unfortunate heritage of the Angry Video Game Nerd

Totally fair! I only got into Jim's stuff in the last year or so. I don't watch much by way of vg reviews, but I like his critiques of games media and the industry—for which he regularly recognizes as having contributed to the problem in his earlier career. His breakdowns of the unethical practices by dev companies (and their execs)—their disregard for sexual assault in the workplace, their exploitation of labor, and their money-grubbing tactics like microtransactions—have been a welcome reminder that no consumption is free of other responsibility.

EDIT: Also, Cinema Sins is terrible.

No spoiler alerts from me - talking about playing styles/tips isn't going to spoil anything. Also, for anyone who hasn't gotten to the end....the final boss is Hades. If you hadn't figured that out before even purchasing the game, you fail at life.

Really good tips. What I really like is that boons/upgrades are random so you're forced to explore playstyles. Yes, you can favor things when you have choices, but eventually you'll get a taste of everything with enough plays.

I've beat Hades six times now - once with each weapon; now I'm working on doing an 8-heat run in order to unlock the mystery weapons.

Early on, it was Theseus and Asterius that really tripped me up. I wasn't patient enough and I didn't use the space and environment well enough. Now that I've got it down, I can get through it well with most builds/weapons.

I think I also hurt myself by favoring the shield early on. I got too used to the ability to, well, shield myself. It's the first weapon I completed with and, honestly, I hardly play with it anymore. It's actually the least fun weapon, IMO.

Athena's Divine Dash is indispensable for me with every weapon that's not the shield. I try to get it early on; especially by Asphodel where you have projectiles and lava to avoid.

One thing I didn't do early on that I wished I had - I didn't prioritize Daedalus' Hammers enough. For example, if I got a heart or maybe even coins as a choice, I might take those. Not anymore - the weapon upgrades are prime choice. Some of them totally change the way you can run through chambers.

I've come to heavily preference chill effects. I like Demeter's call, the cast (especially if you can then get chill add-on boon; or Ares rift cast and then get the Duo w/ Demeter that makes the rift also chill), and - with certain weapons - the chill attack or special (with how damn quick the spear is, chill effects do wonders).

I also didn't give enough weight to Artemis' boons early on. I always like her call and the boon that produces a seeking arrow anytime you attack, special, or cast (that's a no-brainer). I think because her boons add crit chance and some damage but don't have anything flashier (no lightning?! no knockaway?!) I kind of ignored them. That was folly. That crit chance is often worth it - heck, when you unlock the Aspect of Arthur for Stygius, Artemis' boons are sweet.

Lastly, later in the game (before getting to Hades) I like to get some of those health preservation boons. Stubborn Root (Demeter/Athena Duo) is by far my favorite to grab - auto-generates health when you're on your last stand at a rate of 1-health point/second (I believe). You can very well hang in there and defeat Hades if you have that but have been playing recklessly otherwise. As well, things like Positive Outlook (Dionysus) also are nice to have toward the end.

Note on weapons -

Adamant Rail & Gloves are probably my two favorites. They're just super fun. The rail gives you a fun run-n-gun and using the special while you dodge for your life is exhilarating. It also makes an already chaotically hectic screen even more chaotically hectic. The gloves are just satisfying - throat-punching baddies, ya know? Especially with the "get over here!" magnetic cutter perk of the second aspect's special.

The spear is the most fun if you want to play super fast. The ability to backstab and just race around the screen is unparalleled. With the Divine Dash, I've cleared screens faster than with any other weapon. (Inversely, the shield is the slowest)

For Stygius, I found (so far) the Aspect of Arthur to most change how the weapon operates. The fact that it becomes a heavy attack and so much slower is unlike its other aspects (I'm not saying it's a bad thing; I haven't done much with that aspect, but what I have I've enjoyed).

I thought the bow was going to be the most difficult for me. In fact, it's the last I used to beat Hades with and I thought I was going to be shit with it. Not at all. In fact, I handed Hades his most devastating defeat with the bow. I read someone on Reddit who said you can just create a version of the bow that cuts through baddies - and they were right. I used the second aspect, I believe, where the special volley tracks the last enemy you hit with attack. With some good Daedalus upgrades, by the time I got to Hades the bow was like butter through a hot knife - I was able to concentrate on evasion while effectively dealing damage on the back end.

I can't stop heaping praise on this game. I'm floored with how good it is. In some ways, it is so simple. But you start peering behind every corner and it is deceptively complex - in replayability through boons/upgrades/weapon choices, and in how it fills in the story time-after-time and little-by-little.

Last edited:
legitimately that is the exact same thoughts i have.. jim sterling makes me legitimately exhausted, i get many people like him and i understand it, but you get sick of hearing him talk about why microtransactions and season passes and preorders are bad every single week. especially when he doesn't have any call to direct action or blunt opinions, i actually with jim was more radical and said "ok here is what you do, protest by going to the EA offices and throwing eggs there"

the only one of the ones you mentioned i do like is zero punctuation, partially because his reviews are very short so the annoyance isn't as strong but also because he isn't always completely negative and has the ability to truly enjoy a game and discuss it without having to complain about everything else, i do like his retro reviews because its nice to see him honestly talk about why he loves games like half life and thief and others while still being able to criticize the obviously dated issues with the game.

(also cinemawins>cinemasins and second of the millennia)

The unfortunate heritage of the Angry Video Game Nerd
Yes, I can see it as being some direct line from AVGN. Perhaps a "mutation", if you will.

AVGN is not mean-spirited and I think is rooted in things that are 1) considered, more or less, universally bad; and 2) nostalgic

As well, AVGN, seldom doing anything contemporary, is never shitting on anything that effects anyone's livelihood or really on anything that most people are currently enjoying.

Plus, the production and theatrics of AVGN give it a light-heartedness that escapes contemporary cynicism.

Unfortunately, a lot of modern criticism (video games, movies, music, etc) relies heavily on cynicism and polarized viewpoints. Nuance is often abandoned. It seems that a lot of criticism I see is usually "here's why x is shit" or "here's why x is the best thing ever" and less and less "here are the things x did well and here are the things where x missed the mark".

No spoiler alerts from me - talking about playing styles/tips isn't going to spoil anything. Also, for anyone who hasn't gotten to the end....the final boss is Hades. If you hadn't figured that out before even purchasing the game, you fail at life.

Really good tips. What I really like is that boons/upgrades are random so you're forced to explore playstyles. Yes, you can favor things when you have choices, but eventually you'll get a taste of everything with enough plays.

I've beat Hades six times now - once with each weapon; now I'm working on doing an 8-heat run in order to unlock the mystery weapons.

Early on, it was Theseus and Asterius that really tripped me up. I wasn't patient enough and I didn't use the space and environment well enough. Now that I've got it down, I can get through it well with most builds/weapons.

I think I also hurt myself by favoring the shield early on. I got too used to the ability to, well, shield myself. It's the first weapon I completed with and, honestly, I hardly play with it anymore. It's actually the least fun weapon, IMO.

Athena's Divine Dash is indispensable for me with every weapon that's not the shield. I try to get it early on; especially by Asphodel where you have projectiles and lava to avoid.

One thing I didn't do early on that I wished I had - I didn't prioritize Daedalus' Hammers enough. For example, if I got a heart or maybe even coins as a choice, I might take those. Not anymore - the weapon upgrades are prime choice. Some of them totally change the way you can run through chambers.

I've come to heavily preference chill effects. I like Demeter's call, the cast (especially if you can then get chill add-on boon; or Ares rift cast and then get the Duo w/ Demeter that makes the rift also chill), and - with certain weapons - the chill attack or special (with how damn quick the spear is, chill effects do wonders).

I also didn't give enough weight to Artemis' boons early on. I always like her call and the boon that produces a seeking arrow anytime you attack, special, or cast (that's a no-brainer). I think because her boons add crit chance and some damage but don't have anything flashier (no lightning?! no knockaway?!) I kind of ignored them. That was folly. That crit chance is often worth it - heck, when you unlock the Aspect of Arthur for Stygius, Artemis' boons are sweet.

Lastly, later in the game (before getting to Hades) I like to get some of those health preservation boons. Stubborn Root (Demeter/Athena Duo) is by far my favorite to grab - auto-generates health when you're on your last stand at a rate of 1-health point/second (I believe). You can very well hang in there and defeat Hades if you have that but have been playing recklessly otherwise. As well, things like Positive Outlook (Dionysus) also are nice to have toward the end.

Note on weapons -

Adamant Rail & Gloves are probably my two favorites. They're just super fun. The rail gives you a fun run-n-gun and using the special while you dodge for your life is exhilarating. It also makes an already chaotically hectic screen even more chaotically hectic. The gloves are just satisfying - throat-punching baddies, ya know? Especially with the "get over here!" magnetic cutter perk of the second aspect's special.

The spear is the most fun if you want to play super fast. The ability to backstab and just race around the screen is unparalleled. With the Divine Dash, I've cleared screens faster than with any other weapon. (Inversely, the shield is the slowest)

For Stygius, I found (so far) the Aspect of Arthur to most change how the weapon operates. The fact that it becomes a heavy attack and so much slower is unlike its other aspects (I'm not saying it's a bad thing; I haven't done much with that aspect, but what I have I've enjoyed).

I thought the bow was going to be the most difficult for me. In fact, it's the last I used to beat Hades with and I thought I was going to be shit with it. Not at all. In fact, I handed Hades his most devastating defeat with the bow. I read someone on Reddit who said you can just create a version of the bow that cuts through baddies - and they were right. I used the second aspect, I believe, where the special volley tracks the last enemy you hit with attack. With some good Daedalus upgrades, by the time I got to Hades the bow was like butter through a hot knife - I was able to concentrate on evasion while effectively dealing damage on the back end.

I can't stop heaping praise on this game. I'm floored with how good it is. In some ways, it is so simple. But you start peering behind every corner and it is deceptively complex - in replayability through boons/upgrades/weapon choices, and in how it fills in the story time-after-time and little-by-little.

Great post. Just to add on, going down the list

Theseus & Asterius: Like you said, spacing is super important. I've generally found the winning strategy is to separate the two and take care of Asterius first and try and battle him behind a pillar so Theseus can't pot shot you from a distance. This is actually a big reason I dig Aphrodite's call. At one bar, she can charm Asterius and get him off your back (and possibly even attack Theseus). If you get a full bar, it chunks Theseus a ton in the late battle (I think he's 6k HP or so and she does 2500). Once he does his God summon, Artemis/Aphrodite max call and it's almost over.

Shield: So, I couldn't stand the shield because in these game's I'm an impatient player and just wanted to hack and slash, so for me once I got access to the other weapon types it got a lot more interesting and fun for me. It is a great weapon for the disciplined player though for sure.

Hammers: Agreed. There's very rarely a time you want to take the option that's not the hammer. I think the scenario can exist (if you're fishing for a particular boon which is essential to the run maybe). The bonus effects are just too run defining and the "hail mary" in Styx of a 2 for 1 swap of hammers has won me a run or two. For newer folks: if you see a Hammer, get the Hammer.

Demeter: My most used boon early on was Athena's Dash...and now I think it's Demeter's Crystal Beam. So, for folks who haven't found the joy of the Crystal Beam cast, you plop the beam down and it just...inflicts damage for a period of time (base level of 40 damage a second for 5 seconds). You can get up to three of them from just mirror enhancements without any boon bonuses. It has some minor tracking elements. Nothing special but good base damage...until you get the enhancements. It can chill with the right upgrade which is just fantastic (big boss fights are a lot easier when chill is inflicted), duo boons can cause it to track a lot better (Artemis I think), and there's another boon that basically increases the damage you inflict when you have no bloodstones on you while reducing damage you take. It's not as good on high damage builds, but on more patient ones? It is absolutely monstrous. There's also mirror upgrades that stack damage when enemies have multiple status effects and this basically keeps freeze on big targets.

Man now you got me wanting to go in there and do a Demeter/Dionysus status bomb run. (Edit: Did it, it was so good, and that was without getting the boon that lets Festive Fog inflict hangover or even getting a real second status effect to go with it. I think it's the first time I really go into the final battle with no lives lost and full health)

Last edited:
It seems that a lot of criticism I see is usually "here's why x is shit" or "here's why x is the best thing ever" and less and less "here are the things x did well and here are the things where x missed the mark".

This is why I enjoy Fantano's videos to a certain degree and why I think he's been so successful in recent years. I get people find his persona annoying, and his opinions sometimes polarizing, but he backs it all up. He's good at giving nuanced criticism of the stuff he likes, dislikes and just thinks is okay.

Theseus & Asterius: Like you said, spacing is super important. I've generally found the winning strategy is to separate the two and take care of Asterius first and try and battle him behind a pillar so Theseus can't pot shot you from a distance. This is actually a big reason I dig Aphrodite's call. At one bar, she can charm Asterius and get him off your back (and possibly even attack Theseus). If you get a full bar, it chunks Theseus a ton in the late battle (I think he's 6k HP or so and she does 2500). Once he does his God summon, Artemis/Aphrodite max call and it's almost over.

One of the biggest mistakes I made on an early encounter with them was to treat them like targets of opportunity and to deal damage as the opportunity presented itself, indiscriminately. This led me to getting Theseus' life down to where he starts calling for a god's help AND Asterius was still in play. Worst, Move. EVER.

Always, always, always dispense with the man-bull first.

WTF?!! I finally made it out of Hades w/ an 8-heat to see what was under the veil...a statue of Skelly?!!! Ok, ok...it was actually kind of funny and in line with the humor of the game. I don't know if I even want to go for the next one that requires a 16-heat challenge.

SO I haven't been around in a bit but Hades is the best game in years.
I'm still in the middle of Cyberpunk, and before that I am near the very end of Super Mario Galaxy (from 3D All Stars), and then I have a ridiculous backlog but all this Hades swooning (on top of it's back down to $19.99 again) has me super tempted to get it and start it, which I intend to do, but just not at this time, but you're all not making that plan any easier.

Back