Everything Video Games!

I’m in the “let’s-find-all-the-Korok-seeds-in-BOTW” stage of the pandemic.

Two years ago I got super sick from a (non-corona) virus that gave me pericarditis and I was stuck at home for an entire month. I ended up playing A LOT of BOTW- every shrine, a ton of side quests, hunting for Korok seeds... and I think I only ever got like half of the seeds.

I’m close to finishing the game (I think) so now I’m just going around finding the seeds. I am using a map to cheat but it’s still really fun. I’ll pick a section of the map, and plot the points where they are. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to complete all 900 but at least 2/3’s probably.

It’s about the journey, not the destination!

I’m not using a map/guide yet (I did use it for the Hinoxes/Taluses). I am using the Korok mask and trying to identify places I haven’t been to on the map by using the Hero’s Path feature. I’m up to 789 Korok seeds!

Games done quick going on this week. Lots of weird/interesting categories this time around. Just about to start is Sonic 1 with Tails, on Android? Some other notable ones:

Mario 64 16 star blind race.
Mega Man - one hit KO/buster only
Mr. Bones - All Cutscenes - If you don't know this game it's a real treat!
Celeste - All C-sides with dance pads
Sekiro Race
Pokemon Blue - Catch 'em all?

No love for my favorite bear and bird duo yet again, but lots of great games, weird games, and Sonic 06!

Pokemon speed running has to be one of the most frustrating categories for people who do it. Ridiculous amount of RNG and luck involved in it, especially Pokemon Blue where even 100% accurate moves aren't 100% accurate and one miss can ruin an entire run.

Speedrunning is a super addictive watch though

Pokemon speed running has to be one of the most frustrating categories for people who do it. Ridiculous amount of RNG and luck involved in it, especially Pokemon Blue where even 100% accurate moves aren't 100% accurate and one miss can ruin an entire run.

Speedrunning is a super addictive watch though

i mean, this is the case for ALL rpgs. it’s why gdq will only put popular franchises like FF and pokemon for their events. theres a xenoblade speedrunner that i watch consistently, and all of his xc runs that are sub 4:30 that’s he’s submitted have gotten rejected by Gdq

Shadow of the Tomb Raider downloaded as part of PS Plus. Love a modern TM game, so going to play this for a bit...
Have you played either the 2013 reboot or Rise of the Tomb Raider?

I played SOTR when it came out and, while overall I liked it, I found it disappointing progression for the series.

I often compare it to the Batman Arkham trilogy (setting aside Origins). I found the best was City, followed by Asylum, then Knight. Knight took everything that was great about City and overstuffed it and then added some bad ideas (the car).

I found the same w/ the TR reboots. I most enjoyed Rise, then 2013, then Shadow. Rise took the mechanics and style of the '13 reboot, which was great, and built upon it very well. While in the '13 there weren't really side missions (although there were tombs and collectibles), Rise added side missions that weren't just chasing XP but were genuinely fun and added well to the overall story. Shadow did all that too, but made it overwhelming. There is just so much to do. TOO MUCH to do. I feel like they could've just focused on the story more and worried less about all the bloat. I will say Rise did very well - stealth options were greatly expanded (I mean, covering one's self in mud and popping from a wall....hell, yes; funny enough that's also something Arkham Knight did really well, upgrade stealth play) and swimming (that was fun).

Keep in mind, I still think it's a really good game (just like I still think Arkham Knight is a really good game).

Have you played either the 2013 reboot or Rise of the Tomb Raider?

I played SOTR when it came out and, while overall I liked it, I found it disappointing progression for the series.

I often compare it to the Batman Arkham trilogy (setting aside Origins). I found the best was City, followed by Asylum, then Knight. Knight took everything that was great about City and overstuffed it and then added some bad ideas (the car).

I found the same w/ the TR reboots. I most enjoyed Rise, then 2013, then Shadow. Rise took the mechanics and style of the '13 reboot, which was great, and built upon it very well. While in the '13 there weren't really side missions (although there were tombs and collectibles), Rise added side missions that weren't just chasing XP but were genuinely fun and added well to the overall story. Shadow did all that too, but made it overwhelming. There is just so much to do. TOO MUCH to do. I feel like they could've just focused on the story more and worried less about all the bloat. I will say Rise did very well - stealth options were greatly expanded (I mean, covering one's self in mud and popping from a wall....hell, yes; funny enough that's also something Arkham Knight did really well, upgrade stealth play) and swimming (that was fun).

Keep in mind, I still think it's a really good game (just like I still think Arkham Knight is a really good game).
Got halfway through 2013 on the PS3, and completed Rise last year. Enjoyed both. I’m not a completist gamer, so I’m not that fussed about getting all the collectables and the like. It’s the right level of stealth for me - I like to pick a few baddies off from the margins then dive into an all out attack.

Got halfway through 2013 on the PS3, and completed Rise last year. Enjoyed both. I’m not a completist gamer, so I’m not that fussed about getting all the collectables and the like. It’s the right level of stealth for me - I like to pick a few baddies off from the margins then dive into an all out attack.
Oh yea, like collectibles that only serve to provide badges/achievements I don't really care about them. I'll grab them if they're on my path but I won't scour the map for them. On most games, I usually get ~60-80% completion.

But side missions or other items that will give me quicker upgrades - I'm all about that.

You and I have similar tactics then. There are def areas - esp in Rise that pushes the stealth more - that you want to stealth throughout the section if you can; but in the '13 I loved thwacking a couple guys with bow n arrow headshots and then come out w/ firepower and maybe some close-quarter climbing axe digs.

Scott Pilgrim on PS4 from Limited Run

Switch version too

Played quite a bit of Jedi: Fallen Order this weekend. Got through (some?) of the meaty stuff on my second visit to Dathomir. Wont reveal anything cuz spoilers, but man I'm invested heavily at this point. Also, I don't think this is too much of a spoiler, but the climbing upgrade is the best unlock in the whole game. Second is the purple/neon green skin for BD-1.

anybody want a pre-order for the Anamanguchi Scott Pilgrim Vs The World Game soundtrack?

anybody want a pre-order for the Anamanguchi Scott Pilgrim Vs The World Game soundtrack?

That's awesome. I was fortunate enough to find an RSD version of this several years ago, but I'm very pleased they are doing this. I will most definitely be pre-ordering the game, now I just have to figure out if it will be on Switch or PS4........

Been awhile since I've checked in. Long while really. Puppy had me paused on games for awhile. Then the NBA playoffs. Think I was last here after beating LoU2... which I really enjoyed and thought was pretty damn bold in it's approach to bending the relationship between player and protagonist (and antagonist).

Stopping by to say:

I Beat: Red Dead Redemption 2 (only took half of 2020), What Remains of Edith Finch, Until Dawn and Gaucamelee. Enjoyed all of them.

Red Dead Redemption had the most interesting world to explore of any open world I can recall. And even if the gunplay grew a touch repetitive, I really enjoyed the story and found it both moving and relevant. I'd say it's one of my five favorite games of its generation.

Edith Finch was brief and imperfect but also imaginative, memorable and poetic. Oh and stylish too. Until Dawn was solid fluff entertainment with a story that kept me hooked even if its dated graphics somewhat hampered it-- because those style of adventure games are so dependent on immersion instead of gameplay. And to whoever here recommended Guacamelee-- thank you. Game was an utter blast. It's mix of platforming, metroidvania and beat em up were blended perfectly. It was also the ideal difficulty (I died but, when I did, it felt fair), had graphics that are still gorgeous 6 years after its initial release and had a sense of humor that mostly hit.

And then I'm currently playing: Mario Odyssey and 13 Sentinnels: Agis Rim. I'm sure most of you are familiar with the former, but for those of you that haven't heard of 13 Sentinels... it's a truly unique treasure. The gameplay is half 2D side scrolling adventure game / half RTS. That might sound odd- but the RTS sections are fun and well executed-- meanwhile, the story (I'm about 1/3 of the way through) has been called one of the best sci-fi stories ever told within the medium-- and I've got to attest that I am completely and utterly hooked. Oh, and the hand painted, 2D graphics are stunningly beautiful.

Lastly, the Tony Hawk remaster is the best remaster I've ever experienced. All 3 members of my apartment were addicted for the duration of the summer-- including the guy who never games.

Last edited:
I borrowed The Witcher III for the Switch from my local library last week and after playing it for a bit over the past week... Once I realized I want to keep playing it, I decided to bite the bullet and order my own copy!

I’m quite excited, as it’s been a while since I purchased a big-ticket game (the only one I bought last year was Super Mario 3D All-Stars, and that was only so I could replay Mario 64 and play through Galaxy for the first time).

I know Witcher III is not a new game, but because I didn’t own any systems between the N64 and my Switch it feels quite modern to me. As someone who’s sank around 400 hours each on Skyrim, BOTW, and Fire Emblem: Three Houses, so I’m excited (if a bit scared) to dive deep into another immersive RPG.

(Please tell my wife I’ll see her this summer.)

Going to let my gamers club ultimate lapse for a bit so I can hop back into FFXIV, but I've been playing through Control before it expires. Not bad! Idk if I think it's Goty material like a lot of people seemed to (the enemies are pretty boring and the explorable world is pretty bland), but the combat is fun and the world-building and lore are neat!

Played Obra Dinn with the wife. Easily the best mystery/puzzle game I've played in recent memory. It's especially good to play with someone else.

Only had to look up a few things (some of the fates are unclear, was that person decapitated or speared?) but overall A+ experience.
My Wife and I played The Vanishing of Ethan Carter together. It sounds like a similar experience. I may have to look into this one.

Going to let my gamers club ultimate lapse for a bit so I can hop back into FFXIV, but I've been playing through Control before it expires. Not bad! Idk if I think it's Goty material like a lot of people seemed to (the enemies are pretty boring and the explorable world is pretty bland), but the combat is fun and the world-building and lore are neat!
Agree with this. It's fun and spooky in the right ways, but I found the combat to eventually be a chore (they ramp up the difficulty in the DLC and it just becomes too cumbersome). It also performed like absolute shit on my PS4.

Back