Everything Video Games!

I downloaded this on game pass a while ago and it's just been sitting there. Is it actually a good game?
It's a short experience (probably 5 hrs max), but I'd say it's pretty fun and hilarious. You get to be a dastardly little goose sneaking around, causing chaos, stealing shit and honking at people.

There's some replayability with a to-do list (more things to collect, time challenges, etc.), but one playthrough is good for most people. For free on Game Pass, I'd say fire it up.

Last edited:
I finished my 6th (!) Fire Emblem: Three Houses playthrough two nights ago (my first one on “Maddening” difficulty)... 395 hours into that game and I’m already itching to start a new campaign. I’m here to ask for an intervention.

currently stuck on chapter 5 of my first maddening/classic run with black eagles. it doesnt help that i did everything on the game except do maddening mode on all three routes last year, so in a way, it's almost like playing the game for the first again for me.

but seriously, f*ck sylvain's brother lol

Well, a friend of mine returned a bunch of games that he'd been taking care of for the last few years. What to do with this treasure trove?

RmJMi68.jpg
Oh hell yeah.

You might be the only person on here besides me that might have had a Sega CD.

Oh hell yeah.

You might be the only person on here besides me that might have had a Sega CD.

I had a Genesis, but never had a 32X or Sega CD, and was a few years too young to be in the ‘bought it for myself’ camp. I was definitely obsessed with them when they were on the market.

It’s really incredible how badly Sega bungled the console wars.

I had a Genesis, but never had a 32X or Sega CD, and was a few years too young to be in the ‘bought it for myself’ camp. I was definitely obsessed with them when they were on the market.

It’s really incredible how badly Sega bungled the console wars.
I only had it because I had friends who got EVERY system and they gave me their Sega CD once they moved on from it. Loved those Lunar games.

currently stuck on chapter 5 of my first maddening/classic run with black eagles. it doesnt help that i did everything on the game except do maddening mode on all three routes last year, so in a way, it's almost like playing the game for the first again for me.

but seriously, f*ck sylvain's brother lol

Are you doing NG or NG+?

My last run was Blue Lions on maddening/classic but I took advantage of NG+ (had 50,000 renown points accumulated over my previous four Bylad campaigns). Naturally that means I maxed out my professor level right away, recruited Lysithea early, etc. It was still challenging, specially the first five chapters because that’s before you can really invest renown points (I like waiting until my units have trained a skill until at least C+ before I spend points on them). Chapter 5 specifically was the most time consuming (it stood out because it took me 33 turns to finish it, the highest number of turns in the entire campaign!).

After that the game was much more manageable up until Chapter 13 (on which I employed the Battalion Vantage/Battalion Wrath trick on my Dimitri), though again that’s probably because I started using renown points to buy skills and perk up my units. The final few levels and paralogues were difficult but manageable because I had not one but two dodge tanks (dancer Petra and falcon knight Ingrid) abusing Retribution and critical hits.

But if you’re doing a pure NG campaign, then I imagine it’ll be hell the whole way through!

I only had it because I had friends who got EVERY system and they gave me their Sega CD once they moved on from it. Loved those Lunar games.

I’m jealous. I’d have loved to play Lunar, Sonic CD, Shining Force CD.

Are you doing NG or NG+?

My last run was Blue Lions on maddening/classic but I took advantage of NG+ (had 50,000 renown points accumulated over my previous four Bylad campaigns). Naturally that means I maxed out my professor level right away, recruited Lysithea early, etc. It was still challenging, specially the first five chapters because that’s before you can really invest renown points (I like waiting until my units have trained a skill until at least C+ before I spend points on them). Chapter 5 specifically was the most time consuming (it stood out because it took me 33 turns to finish it, the highest number of turns in the entire campaign!).

After that the game was much more manageable up until Chapter 13 (on which I employed the Battalion Vantage/Battalion Wrath trick on my Dimitri), though again that’s probably because I started using renown points to buy skills and perk up my units. The final few levels and paralogues were difficult but manageable because I had not one but two dodge tanks (dancer Petra and falcon knight Ingrid) abusing Retribution and critical hits.

But if you’re doing a pure NG campaign, then I imagine it’ll be hell the whole way through!

i'm doing NG+ but im treating it as if it were a NG run, meaning no renown spending whatsover. obviously, there's still going to be the saint statues progress advantage in a NG+ run, but it's not much of a handicap to me rn anyways since im struggling in ch. 5 :LOL:

ch. 13 scares me. i dont have to worry about it in my current crimson flower maddening playthrough, but the thought of doing that chapter in verdant wind maddening makes me anxious bc Claude is the worst house leader unit out of the three.

and also YESS!!! i love ingrid, she is my favorite character in the whole game, and she is definitely an S-tier unit in this game. i used a similar tactic to yours when i did my first azure moon playthrough and will most likely do the same thing on maddening mode for azure moon as well. i also make it a point to recruit her in the other houses bc she is just as useful in every other house's final map as she is on the AM one and bc she is now my waifu 😜

I managed to get free closed beta access to Rogue Company, the new third-person competitive shooter from Hi-Rez Studios (Paladins, SMITE, etc). The game has a long way to go, but it's pretty fun to hop in for a bit. I use it as a warm up for Valorant, considering their main game modes are fairly similar search and destroy objectives. It's character based too, with different characters having different abilities, which I love in a game. It will be free on launch, with crossplay between PC, PS4, Xbox and even Switch, so give it a shot!

I started playing Star Wars The Old Republic again... I was a founder when it first started, but lost interest. I'm so bored all the time...

OH! Some friends of mine started a video game YouTube channel. They're just getting started so Kevin, the host, is still getting his video legs, but check it out.

Pick Up and Play

Time for some rambling about my gaming habits lately:

I continue to bounce from game to game wildly, though I have been making progress.

Finished Ori and the Will of the Wisps last weekend. Gorgeous game and a great sequel. I was a little off put at first because some of the changes they made to combat and controls, but they grew on me over time. Also had issues with bugs at the beginning, but most of those have been patched out. Only issue I found since starting back up is sometime the menu hangs up for a bit, but it's nothing major. As for the story, it was yet again heartfelt and a bit of a tearjerker at times. There's one side quest that is particularly heartbreaking. The ending was great, and worth all the build up. The boss fights were pretty fun, but also kind of easy. 100% completion was pretty easy to do, and follows typical metroidvania style of "if you can't get it, wait until later when you get the right move." I did feel like this one was a bit easier than the oringal, but I haven't played on the harder difficulty yet. I'll try this out eventually. Going to be a game of the year contender for me.

Continuing to play Binding of Isaac. Getting really close to the 1000 hour playtime milestone. I have completed all completion marks except for greedier mode with all characters up to The Lost, and the majority of marks with all other characters except The Keeper (that guy's IMPOSSIBLE). Working on Mega Satan with Lilith now. After playing a bajillion runs to finish the lost, it's hard to switch to other characters. I feel like I'm relearning a game I play almost daily.

Making steady progress on Pokemon Sword. I've beat 6 gym leaders, and my party is mid 40's. While I do have some issues with the game, overall I don't think it's as bad as some people made it out to be. I'm addicted to Surprise trade yet again. Seeing some odd trades here and there where someone will send me a lvl. 100 shiny holding a master ball. Had this happen 3 or 4 times. Not sure if they're hacked or just ads, because the name or trainer name is always a simple URL. Oh well, free master ball!

Playing Animal Crossing too. Paid off all my loans, and just slowly building out the island now. Really wish i could get more table options, but other than that I'm just doing daily tasks and hoping for new recipes.

To fill the platforming hole left by finishing Ori, I started playing Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair. Really fun love letter to Donkey Kong, and I can't recommend it enough. Controls are great, levels are fun and unique, and all the ideas from the first Y-L game have been expanded and fleshed out so much better here. The first game allowed you to expand each world to add more stuff to do, but here, you apply some kind of effect to each level to change it. For example, one level you freeze, which changes the whole layout. Another you accidntally add a ton of enemies to the game, changing it from a slower romp watching out for dropping enemies to a frantic dash to avoid getting overwhelmed by stuff chasing you. It's got a highly interactive hub world and collectibles that are used to unlock powerups and progression. Most of the power ups I've found are cosmetic, changing the look of how the game plays out (4:3 resolution, classic TV mode, video filters, etc). Finally, you start the game at the end, attempting the Impossible lair for the first time. While you can beat it here, Jirard the Completionist said this nearly broke him and took the majority of his total play time. Once you lose here, you then collect bees, that are basically extra hits you can take when you challenge the lair again. You can collect them all, or challenge the lair any time you see fit. Really cool concept in my opinion.

Finally, I started playing West of Dead this week. Picked it up on Game Pass, and I really like how this one works. It's an isometric twin stick shooter that has cover mechanics and a light mechanic that only allows you to shoot enemies that are in the light. It's a fresh take on Roguelites, taking some features of other games and twisting them a bit. It's got small rooms of enemies with safe hallways interconnecting them, kind of like Enter the Gungeon. Weapon and character upgrades work a bit like Dead Cells. Weapons and Special items can be found in chests or in hallways, as well as in a store on each floor. You get two weapons and two specials. You can also find shrines to enhance your abilities, and you get 3 choices to increase at each one - health, gun damage, and special damage. It doesn't have the green/red/purple thing Dead Cells does, but other than that it works the same (taking more in one category decreases the % of how much it increases). You also get a break between areas to redeem Sin for permanent unlocks, and refresh your health/healing items. The real twist is that this game is highly story driven, and as you progress, you complete chapters of the story that stay permanent as you figure out what is going on and how to stop the (un)death loop - basically you're in purgatory and no one can cross over. Very Western themed and the art style is great. If I had any complaints, it's that the camera sometimes does some goofy stuff, but it's never detracted from the gameplay. Also, this game might still be in beta? The version says .9.x.x.x.

That's it for now, gotta get back to work.

Also, I watched the Xbox Games Showcase last night. Gotta say, I'm pretty psyched for most of what they showed, but especially Halo. Gameplay wise, it reminded me a lot of Halo 3. Also, I didn't see any running, so I guess all the trolls will have to switch their complaining to the hookshot or one of the new weapons or the more open environment, because how dare anything modernize a bit.

I posted this over in the Pre Order thread, but for those who don't check there, Square Enix restocked several rare / out of print records at way cheaper than Discogs sellers are flipping for. Picked up Chrono Cross/Chrono Trigger finally at a (semi) reasonable price - $68 vs. $400+

I am really enjoying getting very high and playing this Paper Mario late at night when my wife and kids are asleep. Game is like diving into a world of joy
I'd started the 64 version last year once we dug that system up from my SO's parent's, but got distracted. My SO paid for Origami King on release day and started playing it, but I ended up commandeering it for 3 days straight and finished last Tuesday. :O

(They've still only just beat the first art boss.)

I am really enjoying getting very high and playing this Paper Mario late at night when my wife and kids are asleep. Game is like diving into a world of joy
Really excited to buy and dive in once I clear out a bit of my backlog. Skipped the last two games and even though it's not 100% RPG like the original and TTYD, I'm excited for some puzzle battles, bright colors and writing that'll make me chortle.

Back