Everything Video Games!

Also Sekiro is great and quite different again. Although, I made the mistake of stopping near the end and taking a break and now I'm too intimidated to pick it back up because I will not be as good at it.

For some reason I've played all of them except the ones with Dark in the title. I have the remastered Dark Souls but didn't get too far before getting side-tracked. Need to play it again some day.
Sekiro beat me. The combination of speed and precision was too much for this cat.

I'm having the same issue making a GOTY list that I did making an AOTY list. From the games I played that came out this year, I enjoyed every experience, yet no one game stood out so far above the rest I would put it at the top. I didn't get to play even half the games I wanted to this year, which is a huge shame. I did get to experience some of these through people I watch on youtube, but that only partially scratch the itch to experience the medium. On top of that, I only finished two of these games - The Outer Worlds and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. To be fair, another 3 on the list technically can't be finished, but that's still 2/9 complete.

Anyways, here's my unorganized list of games I played this year, that were released this year.

Luigi's Mansion 3
Outer Wilds
The Outer Worlds
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
My Friend Pedro
Borderlands 3
Untitled Goose Game
Afterparty
Apex Legends
Metro Exodus
Void Bastards
RAD
Coming late to the GOTY party but I actually have played more games this year than since I was 14 probably. I blame the winter and buying an Xbox.

List of games I've played in 2019 (I have not beaten all, but mostly enough to rank them)

*Bold = beaten

Really damn good (5 stars)
Red Dead Redemption 2
Skyrim (repeat play)
Oblivion (repeat play)
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Bioshock

Very Good (4 stars)
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Fable 3
Middle Earth: Shadow of War
Fallout 4
Assassin's Creed: Syndicate
FIFA 19

Good/Average (3 stars)
Grand Theft Auto 5
Fable 2 (repeat play)
Gears of War: Ultimate Edition

Gears 5
Rocket League
Borderlands 2

Eh, it's alright (2 stars)
The Outer Worlds
Life is Strange
Batman: Arkham Night

Bad (1 star)
Fable: Anniversary
Minecraft (I don't have the patience for it)
Ashen
Just Cause 3

My overall GOTY even though it came out last year would be RDR2. It might be my second favorite game of all time now behind Fallout 3.

Back on Monster Hunter World Icebourne. Killed and captured 20 monsters looking a god damn gem and it doesnt appear. The next day I kill one monster and boom, gem is their. This game......is still amazing.
is this game decent? I downloaded it on Xbox Game Pass and have been pushing off playing it yet

is this game decent? I downloaded it on Xbox Game Pass and have been pushing off playing it yet
If you have people to play it with I think its a great game. The game is grinding for better gear all the time. Their are many different weapon types which changes the play-style.

I'm on my second set of joycons, my OG gray left joycon caught a case of the drifts.

That was actually a question I had. Buying a new set of joy cons fixed your problem? I was afraid that it had something to do with the main console, but tbh I haven't done the research.

That was actually a question I had. Buying a new set of joy cons fixed your problem? I was afraid that it had something to do with the main console, but tbh I haven't done the research.
It's a known design flaw with the joystick contact that I believe Nintendo agreed to fix for free (but requires sending your Joy Cons in).

We've had some luck simply using a little electronic spray cleaner under the joystick and recalibrating the cons occasionally.

I don't want to speak on every scenario, but if you are experiencing the dreaded drift with your Joycon then yes, simply replacing the joycon should resolve the issue. there are other solutions out there which I tried with varying but ultimately temporary success, so when Amazon had Joycons for about $20 less than normal I decided to just buy another set.

Coming late to the GOTY party but I actually have played more games this year than since I was 14 probably. I blame the winter and buying an Xbox.

My overall GOTY even though it came out last year would be RDR2. It might be my second favorite game of all time now behind Fallout 3.

I'm always conflicted with GOTY because of the timing. A lot of good games come out in October/November, and I often do not have time to play them before the end of the year. I started RDR2 in 2018, but the majority of my time with the game was spent in 2019. I feel like every year I play at least a couple of games that came out a year or two back that I like more than what I played that released the same year.

I don't want to speak on every scenario, but if you are experiencing the dreaded drift with your Joycon then yes, simply replacing the joycon should resolve the issue. there are other solutions out there which I tried with varying but ultimately temporary success, so when Amazon had Joycons for about $20 less than normal I decided to just buy another set.

I think a lot of the problem has to do with the little cup shaped plastic at the bottom of the joystick. Xbox and Sony's controllers have a large "cup" whereas Nintendo's are small. This leads to at least part of the problem in that stuff collects underneath and physically blocks movement. The other issue seems to be that the sticks get a bit "loose" leading to visible drift in the joystick test. My left stick would dart around wildly while the joycon was sitting on a flat surface. I did have some luck replacing the joysticks, and it's a good cheap ($10-$15) alternative to replacing the whole joycon. It's pretty easy to do and there's video's out there to show you how. The kit I bough also came with some tweezers, which are essential for getting the cables back in place. I swapped one stick out last summer, and the other a couple months back. The drift has gone away, but the physical blockage is starting to come back with the one I replace first. To be fair though, my 6 year old uses the switch the most, so it probably just needs cleaning. The joystick tests aren't showing drift, just some loss of full range of motion.

Gaming confession/new years resolution: I have resolved to complete a Souls game. I've started Demon Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne, but have not finished any of them. That changes this year!

I'm with you here. I've been playing Dark Souls for years and have enjoyed many hours of Bloodborne as well, but I've never actually completed one. I just started playing Code Vein recently and it reminded me how badly I want to get back into Dark Souls (and to get past my fear of being cursed so I can get to the next area already)

Shout out to Podcast 'How Did This Get Played?'. Two comedians (with special guests each episode) talking both very BAD and very WEIRD games. I love Heather and Nick Wiger is such an inhuman weirdo in the best way. Lots of good episodes but I like the 'Seaman' one with John Gabrus a lot because they get Seaman on the mic (um, uh, yeah I guess I'm phrasing it that way) and it's bizarre and great.

Eh, it's alright (2 stars)
The Outer Worlds
How? I heard this one is extremely similar to Fallout, and you say Fallout 3 is your second favorite game ever? What's holding you back?
Good/Average (3 stars)
Borderlands 2
Seeing Borderlands 2 ranked as just "good/average" is bringing a tear to my eye. It's probably in my top five favorite games of all time.
Very Good (4 stars)
FIFA 19
OK how the fuck even

* Means completed
1000G means I unlocked all achievements for the game

GAMES I PLAYED IN 2019:

5 STARS, AMAZING:
RDR2
The Walking Dead: Definitive Edition and The Final Season* 1000G (replay)
Minecraft (replay)
Cuphead
Firewatch* 1000G
GTA V on the Xbox One (I completed this on the 360 already, but have yet to complete on the One) (replay)
Borderlands 2 * 1000G (working on completion on the one) (replay)
Call of Duty Black Ops 1* 1000G (numerous zombies playthroughs) (replay)
Call of Duty Black Ops 2* (numerous zombies playthroughs) (replay)
Call Of Duty: WAW * 1000G (numerous zombies playthroughs) (replay)
Rock Band 2

4 STARS, PRETTY GREAT:
COD: MW 2019 * 1000G
Borderlands 3 * (working on all the achievements currently)
Rock Band 1
Rock Band 3
Rock Band 4
Inside * 1000G
ABZU * 1000G
Far Cry 5 * 1000G
GH: Warriors Of Rock
Halo: MCC

3 STARS, GOOD/AVERAGE:
Black Ops 3 * 1000G (numerous zombies playthroughs) (replay)
Black Ops 4 * 1000G
7 Days To Die
Child Of Light
Borderlands 1 GOTY
How To Survive: Storm Warning Edition
Rocket League

2 STARS, NOT GOOD:
COD: WWII * 1000G (numerous zombies playthroughs)
Fallout: Shelter * 1000G (I have every single achievement except for one that is basically pay to unlock, so I'm considering this game done)
Earthfall (L4D but aliens, and also very fricking hard)
COD: IW * 1000G (numerous zombies playthroughs)

1 STAR, HORRIBLE:
Fallout 76 * 1000G (yes, I actually got every single achievement in this dumpster fire)
One Leaves * 1000G

Last edited:
How? I heard this one is extremely similar to Fallout, and you say Fallout 3 is your second favorite game ever? What's holding you back?
  • Storyline is extremely boring, I don't care about any of the characters/factions.
  • Journey between worlds is boring, the fact you just fast travel everywhere doesn't make it very exciting. At least have some transition animation or something.
  • Most missions are just go get this thing, bring it back. After a while every mission is just the same.
  • The world is not very explorable like Fallout or Skyrim, there's few hidden nooks and things to discover.
  • The font of the game is still very small, even after they updated it. It's annoying to have to squint and read something.
  • Loading times are insanely bad. I don't know if it's because I'm playing it via GamePass or if with a disc it would be better.
  • Enemies are boring, not diverse like in Fallout/Skyrim, enemies having a bar of health is boring. because you end up just firing and looking at the health bar until you've killed them.
  • The menu layout in inventory in a grid is terrible to navigate.
  • All of the food, and other items that affect damage/health/companions that you pick up everywhere, I never end up using. it's pointless
  • Perk system is kinda boring, don't really need any of the enhancements/they don't really effect anything major if I end up adding any.
I'm 25~ hours into it and I don't know if I want to keep going tbh.

Seeing Borderlands 2 ranked as just "good/average" is bringing a tear to my eye. It's probably in my top five favorite games of all time.
tbf I've never played it before and only put in like 5 hours since it's unbolded. It could change.
OK how the fuck even
idk I don't utilize the FUT mode or play online that much. Gameplay is fine. You can turn off the moving bar that influences your shot direction which basically made it the same as older games. the story mode was pretty fun. my go-to is throw on a record and play career mode. It's fun.

• Storyline is extremely boring, I don't care about any of the characters/factions.
  • Journey between worlds is boring, the fact you just fast travel everywhere doesn't make it very exciting. At least have some transition animation or something.
  • Most missions are just go get this thing, bring it back. After a while every mission is just the same.
  • The world is not very explorable like Fallout or Skyrim, there's few hidden nooks and things to discover.
  • The font of the game is still very small, even after they updated it. It's annoying to have to squint and read something.
  • Loading times are insanely bad. I don't know if it's because I'm playing it via GamePass or if with a disc it would be better.
  • Enemies are boring, not diverse like in Fallout/Skyrim, enemies having a bar of health is boring. because you end up just firing and looking at the health bar until you've killed them.
  • The menu layout in inventory in a grid is terrible to navigate.
  • All of the food, and other items that affect damage/health/companions that you pick up everywhere, I never end up using. it's pointless
  • Perk system is kinda boring, don't really need any of the enhancements/they don't really effect anything major if I end up adding any.
I'm 25~ hours into it and I don't know if I want to keep going tbh.
Wow. I have it and I was gonna go play this or Fallout: NV after completing Borderlands 3. I'll keep a level head because I've also heard a lot of good things about this one.

tbf I've never played it before and only put in like 5 hours since it's unbolded. It could change.
PLEASE PLAY MORE. It's one of the best RPG's I've ever played, and I've played my fair share of them. So many guns are genuinely unique and have so many interesting quirks about them. Red text weapons flip the game on it's head with their effects, and legendaries are so much fun to grind for and acquire. The story is great, I love all the characters, and Handsome Jack may just be one of the best villains in gaming.

idk I don't utilize the FUT mode or play online that much. Gameplay is fine. You can turn off the moving bar that influences your shot direction which basically made it the same as older games. the story mode was pretty fun. my go-to is throw on a record and play career mode. It's fun.
Maybe it's just me, but FIFA games are some of the most painfully boring games imaginable. Actually, pretty much 99% of the EA sports games are that way to me. They just feel too similar year after year with little noticeable difference. And I'm the kind of guy that says that COD can have pretty distinguishable things from the last entry

Wow. I have it and I was gonna go play this or Fallout: NV after completing Borderlands 3. I'll keep a level head because I've also heard a lot of good things about this one.

PLEASE PLAY MORE. It's one of the best RPG's I've ever played, and I've played my fair share of them. So many guns are genuinely unique and have so many interesting quirks about them. Red text weapons flip the game on it's head with their effects, and legendaries are so much fun to grind for and acquire. The story is great, I love all the characters, and Handsome Jack may just be one of the best villains in gaming.

Maybe it's just me, but FIFA games are some of the most painfully boring games imaginable. Actually, pretty much 99% of the EA sports games are that way to me. They just feel too similar year after year with little noticeable difference. And I'm the kind of guy that says that COD can have pretty distinguishable things from the last entry
Definitely keep an open mind. There’s loads of people who like it. You may too. It’s not terrible, just kinda boring.

I will!

I mean, I’m a huge fan of Soccer so it’s fun for me. If you had me play NBA or Madden I’d probably hate it. It’s fun to create a player as yourself to play for your favorite team. Idk, different stroke/different folks.

Definitely keep an open mind. There’s loads of people who like it. You may too. It’s not terrible, just kinda boring.

I will!

I mean, I’m a huge fan of Soccer so it’s fun for me. If you had me play NBA or Madden I’d probably hate it. It’s fun to create a player as yourself to play for your favorite team. Idk, different stroke/different folks.
I'll keep an open mind for the Outer Worlds, but I am still debating getting knee deep in that or New Vegas, as it's the only Fallout game I haven't played yet. As for BL2, I'd say if you enjoy the base game, ABSOLUTELY get the DLC. All of them are worth it and bring something unique to the table, with Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep being one of the best.

I'll keep an open mind for the Outer Worlds, but I am still debating getting knee deep in that or New Vegas, as it's the only Fallout game I haven't played yet. As for BL2, I'd say if you enjoy the base game, ABSOLUTELY get the DLC. All of them are worth it and bring something unique to the table, with Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep being one of the best.
Definitely play New Vegas first. It’s excellent. Hardcore RPGers say it’s their favorite Fallout game out of the lot. The only slight I have about it, is that the main story is kinda short. I strategically saved at certain points to go down a completed different path in the story with a new faction. Actually, the same thing I see people saying about Obsidian with TOW too. Other than that, great game.

With the announcement of the expansions coming for Pokemon Sword/Shield and 200+ missing previous gen mon included in that, I finally caved and picked up Sword. I haven't been able to play a non-Switch game in ages. I was working through RDR2 achievements but too busy in the last few months to sit and play. With the Switch I can at least play on the go.

Back