Everything Video Games!

I've never played it before either. I had a ton of fun (300+ hours) with Skyrim on the Switch, so spotty graphics won't bother me much as long as the gameplay is not affected. Also, the Switch is my first system since the N64, so early 2010s graphics look amazing to me.

I've never played Fallout (again, N64 was my last system) but this game looks interesting. I don't think it has a Switch release date yet though.
Dude, the graphics on the Witcher are incredible even on the switch. One of the best looking console games out there. You will be floored.

three houses got updated just now

jeritza got added as a free unit for the crimson flower route. it was p obvious this was going to happen, but kind of mad at myself for finishing that route a while ago. probably will pick it up later after the next (and final?) update

Started The Outer Worlds last week. Already in love. Without spoiling anything here, I looked up whether my handling of the first area was the "right" decision. Turns out I could have handled it a lot better. So much nuance built into the decision trees!

Funnily enough, I subbed to PS Plus and paid for Fallout 76 right as the free month trial was coming to an end, and I think I haven't touched the damn thing since. TOW is the Fallout 4 successor I truly needed in my life.

Also, I'm at the end of the original Luigi's Mansion, but the final boss fight has such a frustrating camera angle, I had to put it down. My, how far we've come with game dev.

1109192253_HDR.jpg

I swore to myself I'd never buy these Funko things, but then they made Apex ones, so I bit my tongue and grabbed these. These little guys sit on top of my right speaker now (a Bohrok already occupies the left one). Wraith is my main, and the mask of the Bloodhound one is so detailed, so these are the two I went with. I grabbed my sister a Lifeline one, since that's her main. So cute!

Started The Outer Worlds last week. Already in love. Without spoiling anything here, I looked up whether my handling of the first area was the "right" decision. Turns out I could have handled it a lot better. So much nuance built into the decision trees!

Funnily enough, I subbed to PS Plus and paid for Fallout 76 right as the free month trial was coming to an end, and I think I haven't touched the damn thing since. TOW is the Fallout 4 successor I truly needed in my life.

Also, I'm at the end of the original Luigi's Mansion, but the final boss fight has such a frustrating camera angle, I had to put it down. My, how far we've come with game dev.
Trying to line up the spike ball shots in that fight is a pain. It's hard to tell if you're aimed where you want to be.

Exactly. And then trying to aim at King Boo. I'm swinging around sucking up nothing but sky because of that darn skewed depth.
Agreed, both those make that fight way harder than it needs to be.

I just got off the first planet in The Outer Worlds, just curious, what route did you go?

I went into the mission thinking that I was going to side completely with the Deserters. Then, just as I'm about to route the power to them, I get an impassioned speech from Parvati to spare the town and convince the Deserters to come back. I saved and walked away for a bit, but ultimately took her advice and tried to work things out. Fortunately, I had enough points in my speech skills, and was able to convince Reed to step down. Now I wonder if you come back later, will you see a garden starting in the cannery?

Agreed, both those make that fight way harder than it needs to be.

I just got off the first planet in The Outer Worlds, just curious, what route did you go?

I went into the mission thinking that I was going to side completely with the Deserters. Then, just as I'm about to route the power to them, I get an impassioned speech from Parvati to spare the town and convince the Deserters to come back. I saved and walked away for a bit, but ultimately took her advice and tried to work things out. Fortunately, I had enough points in my speech skills, and was able to convince Reed to step down. Now I wonder if you come back later, will you see a garden starting in the cannery?
I went the deserter route. Turns out that tends to be the more chaotic route which some consider the "bad" ending. Flipping to deserters has only one end result, while flipping to Edgewater can go like 3 different ways depending on how you handle things. I should've listened to Pavarti. Went back to Amelia to ask what happens next and she was like, we'll take whoever wants to come but fuck the rest. She's better off replacing Reed in town.

Absolutely no way in hell I can buy this new Pokemon with all the leak info that's come out. Honestly embarassing.
What are people saying? I've only seen complaints about the pokedex cut, which is unfortunate but not a dealbreaker for me.

I'm on the fence; I want a main-series pokemon game for my switch, but I'm in a finicky space where I don't want them to stray too wildly from the formula but also don't want the exact formula.

Absolutely no way in hell I can buy this new Pokemon with all the leak info that's come out. Honestly embarassing.
Seriously, I'm disgusted at all the info that's come out. I saw a video last night of a CUTSCENE, in which one of the legendary Pokemon turned around to walk away. The tank control turning in the original Resident Evil looked better. On top of that, if the leaked list of Pokemon is true, there is no communication in their marketing at all. Supposedly Blastoise and Dragonite were cut, yet I get emails from the Pokemon Company about their merch, and they have new items for both Pokemon. You'd think they would want to show off some new Pokemon, or ones that are in the game at least.

The Pokemon games have been really joyless for me for a long time, I think the Black / White 2 ones were the last ones I really enjoyed, if I don't count the Ruby / Sapphire remakes. That said I'll still buy this one, but getting dangeriously close to the "fool me 3 times" breaking point. Pokédex is least of my worries, my main objections are over the horrible art style they adopted when it switched to 3D, lack of strong visual concepts and the general lack of exploration.

I honestly was shocked with how much the press lapped up that last 3DS game which I found horrible. I have a feeling these are going to be slammed now that they’re competing with the best of their first party titles. I was certainly hoping for better visual but the trailers don’t leave me with much hope

The Pokemon games have been really joyless for me for a long time, I think the Black / White 2 ones were the last ones I really enjoyed, if I don't count the Ruby / Sapphire remakes. That said I'll still buy this one, but getting dangeriously close to the "fool me 3 times" breaking point. Pokédex is least of my worries, my main objections are over the horrible art style they adopted when it switched to 3D, lack of strong visual concepts and the general lack of exploration.

I honestly was shocked with how much the press lapped up that last 3DS game which I found horrible. I have a feeling these are going to be slammed now that they’re competing with the best of their first party titles. I was certainly hoping for better visual but the trailers don’t leave me with much hope
Black and White were definitely the last ones I truly enjoyed.

What are people saying? I've only seen complaints about the pokedex cut, which is unfortunate but not a dealbreaker for me.

I'm on the fence; I want a main-series pokemon game for my switch, but I'm in a finicky space where I don't want them to stray too wildly from the formula but also don't want the exact formula.
There's a running post on the Pokemon subreddit that's detailing the major issues:

A few of the known problems

1. 60% of all Pokemon have been cut from the game. There are 400 Pokemon in it. That's 2 more than were in Ruby and Sapphire and a couppe hundred LESS than were in Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon thst released a couple years ago for 50% of the price.

2. Not only are Pokemon being cut, but 100+ moves have been cut. So if you transfer a Pokemon to Se/Sh that has a cut move, it won't be able to use it.

3. Their excuse for cutting Pokemon was to focus on the quality of animations, which, as you can tell from this clip, among others, is not good.

4. It's apparently extremely easy. Streamers are beating it in 12-14 hours, and, even with passing most trainers, are one-hitting late stage Pokemon.

5. Even more forced cutscenes than sun and Moon.

6. No endgame. 2 hours of postgame content and that's it.

And that's me skimming over the massive scaling problems and poor graphics. I remember being so excited for a full console Pokemon game as a kid, but they have cut SO many corners here, it just looks sad.

Wow, seems like a lot of their problems are rooted in a messy transition from top-down to 3d and handheld to console. Seems they could’ve avoided this by sticking with the class 2D format and taken a page out of the Link’s Awakening remake to give it pizzaz.

So it sounds like Death Stranding is the AAA title I’ll allow myself to splurge on this month. :p

Back