Everything Video Games!

I loved it and had a lot of fun. One of the best games I have played since getting my PS5.

I haven't looked up reviews until I just read your post and was shocked to see how much hate the game was getting in reviews.

View attachment 165526

The game play overall has been smooth and very enjoyable. The main issue from reviews appear to be people hate the games protagonist and are saying Square didn't do enough character development.

When I first got my PS5 in October of 2021 and looked up games, Forspoken was the game I was most waiting for to be released. And it wasn't a let down for me.
Nice! I'm glad it isn't all bad. I'm someone who enjoyed Cyberpunk from day 1, so I don't take any reviews at face value.

Nice! I'm glad it isn't all bad. I'm someone who enjoyed Cyberpunk from day 1, so I don't take any reviews at face value.

Exactly.

The best review I read about the game essentially explained all the review bombing. People had high hopes for Square Enix's first true next gen PS5 game. And it wasn't the mind blowing game they were looking for. The game isn't bad, but it's not great. It's in the purgatory hell somewhere in between.

The open world and game play mechanics are not what people are giving the game bad reviews for. Nor is it bugs or performance issue.

In addition to not liking the protagonist and thinking the game could have used more character development / writing, graphics are another hard hitter. People were expecting to be blown away. But found the graphics just average. One of the issues here is most people play the game in "prefers performance" mode to maintain the 60 fps. And the graphics are really scaled back here. Nothing special about them. The "prefers ray tracing"mode does look quite nice. And would have been mind blowing if the game came out back when it was originally supposed to, around the time of the PS5 launch. But it got delayed several time. And the graphics aren't standout anymore. There are a handful of other games with similar graphics capabilities now. The graphics are still amazing, but not stand out. The only game I can say for certain that has better graphics than Forspoken that I have played is A Plague Tale Requiem.

The review said we should check back in 6 months and see where the average reviews land. The early reviews are being overly critical / negative.

My recommendation, go for this Spirit Ash if you can. It made some end game boss fights unbelievably easy

Or, if you don’t have enough FP, Mimic Tear uses HP instead

Tiche is particularly helpful with Malenia, as is anything with bleed damage.

Anyone here play the new FF Crisis core? I'm thinking about picking it up for my next game while it's a featured game of the month for the PS Stars loyalty program. Purchasing it should give me enough points to redeem for a $20 gift card I can use on the next game I buy after Crisis Core. Is it worth buying or should I save my money for another game?

I'm thinking about only getting the standard edition and not the Digital Deluxe. I don't need the remaster of the original that's included as part of the deluxe or soundtrack.

One of the things about Forspoken I discovered was that after completing the main story and several side quests, I had only revealed about 20% of the world map. The open world is much larger than I expected and the main story does not bring you to most of it. There are towers, ruins, battle grounds, mutants, monuments and what not all over the place. And a lot of of the trophies have to do with finding them all.

Also Placidusax isn't a mandatory boss, so you can really skip if you want (though you seem close to breaking through). After that, there is one more mandatory boss in that area, and then a new area with 2 more mandatory bosses in a linear row and that's the game. You can do as much optional stuff you want before wrapping up.

I will say Malenia is a super cool boss worth checking out and attempting. The path to her kind of blows though.
oh man, so yes the path to Malenia sucked... did lots of running through at spots, but finally got to her.

so, this would not even be a possibility for me to consider without using a summon (Tiche), with the summon it's still very annoying. yes we can gang up on her, yes she stuns pretty easy, hell I'll even get to the second phase with both of us in pretty good shape... but her aggression causes me to block a lot (I have Fingerprint Stone Shield) which causes her to keep getting her health back, but if I try to dodge she usually decimates me...

we'll see how long I'll stick with this fight because quite frankly I'm very ready to be done with this game and I don't want to burn out on this game trying to get through this fight.

oh man, so yes the path to Malenia sucked... did lots of running through at spots, but finally got to her.

so, this would not even be a possibility for me to consider without using a summon (Tiche), with the summon it's still very annoying. yes we can gang up on her, yes she stuns pretty easy, hell I'll even get to the second phase with both of us in pretty good shape... but her aggression causes me to block a lot (I have Fingerprint Stone Shield) which causes her to keep getting her health back, but if I try to dodge she usually decimates me...

we'll see how long I'll stick with this fight because quite frankly I'm very ready to be done with this game and I don't want to burn out on this game trying to get through this fight.
I fought her for about any hour and a half and was like yeah I've had enough of this. Summoned a player named "Let me solo her" which they did. Very impressive.

I fought her for about any hour and a half and was like yeah I've had enough of this. Summoned a player named "Let me solo her" which they did. Very impressive.
I never used the summon another player before and now I just never think to do it. I did join my friend's game to help him with an early boss though

Congrats! Tough fight, even with Tiche.
yeah I remembed having Tiche but still failing badly. What worked was going back for this sword

and this Incantation

I was at the point where I was cheating to farm runes in Mogwhyn's Palace (idk if that's since been patched), because my Arcane skill was very low. Both of those made it a super easy fight at that point.

yeah I remembed having Tiche but still failing badly. What worked was going back for this sword

and this Incantation

I was at the point where I was cheating to farm runes in Mogwhyn's Palace (idk if that's since been patched), because my Arcane skill was very low. Both of those made it a super easy fight at that point.
Yup, especially if you summon first phase. I kept having Tiche die during the bloom of phase 2, so I got good enough at the fight to beat phase 1 solo, then summoned right after the bloom in phase 2. Was running rusty anchor and Godricks Axe. Huge damage, but you really have to be on top of the dodging and pick your moments.

Yup, especially if you summon first phase. I kept having Tiche die during the bloom of phase 2, so I got good enough at the fight to beat phase 1 solo, then summoned right after the bloom in phase 2. Was running rusty anchor and Godricks Axe. Huge damage, but you really have to be on top of the dodging and pick your moments.
I was basically a battle mage. Incantations, Summons, and Magic from a sword, or the sword itself as last resort. I did not like to take damage if I had to.

WOW! what an incredible game! as tough as they were I'm glad the last few bosses were pushovers compared to some of the other late game bosses (though those were all pre-Tiche).

Screenshot_20230201-232421.png

that said after over a month with this game I'm ready to move onto Hi-Fi Rush on Xbox and Bayo 3 on Switch, which I got for Christmas but haven't played due to Elden Ring

After I was obsessed with Elden Ring last year, my oldest (15) is finally playing it.

1) He's way better at it than I am, playing as a melee character, not rune farming and just learning attack patterns of enemies
2) He finally got to a point the other day against 2 crucible knights when, after several hours of trying to beat them, he said "I hate this game!"
He defeated them not long after and moved toward the endgame.

So Dark Souls...

I loved Elden Ring. Cheated a little bit to level myself and also cheated in looking things up on items to get. But I still had a good time. It felt like a real challenge but not impossibly hard.

I bought the Dark Souls games back when they were on sale back in June. Started playing DS1. It's very linear, much more bare bones. I went with a magic build but I wish I hadn't since I hadn't found any good spells and I ended up using more of a hack and slash character. I believe I'm about halfway through the game. But I've been struggling trying to go to Sen's Fortress and die very easily to those enemies right at the beginning if I don't run right past them. I've been to Blighttown, Undead Parish, Darkroot Garden, Darkroot Basin, Quelaag's Domain. I think that Sen's is the next place to go. I took some time to do some soul farming in Darkroot Garden but I still feel underleveled even though I'm above the "recommended level" for most areas. Should I bother trying to slog my way through with this character or should I just move onto DS2 or DS3?
Update:

I gave up on Dark Souls 1 for now. I wanted to play as a magic character but I couldn't find any spells (or I didn't look in the right places), so I ended up doing more of a melee build with a character that had bad attributes. There is no Respecing anywhere in the game and I was too far in the game to give up and start over so I cheated to rune farm and get my character up a few levels. It still sucked. I accidentally killed the bonfire in the very first area and there are few bonfires in the rest of the game which makes getting through areas or bossed very annoying or cumbersome.

However, I started Dark Souls 2 and I kind of love it. Apparently that's not a popular opinion according to DS fans. Bosses are easier, leveling seems fair and balanced. Meaning, when I level up a few levels and come back to a boss or region I struggled with, I actually feel stronger. I'm going with a more pure melee build which I NEVER do in any kind of game similar to Dark Souls. The regions seem easier to clear, more thought out. The region design of Dark Souls was mostly terrible. Everything was so dark.

What does everyone think of Dark Souls 2?

Update:

I gave up on Dark Souls 1 for now. I wanted to play as a magic character but I couldn't find any spells (or I didn't look in the right places), so I ended up doing more of a melee build with a character that had bad attributes. There is no Respecing anywhere in the game and I was too far in the game to give up and start over so I cheated to rune farm and get my character up a few levels. It still sucked. I accidentally killed the bonfire in the very first area and there are few bonfires in the rest of the game which makes getting through areas or bossed very annoying or cumbersome.

However, I started Dark Souls 2 and I kind of love it. Apparently that's not a popular opinion according to DS fans. Bosses are easier, leveling seems fair and balanced. Meaning, when I level up a few levels and come back to a boss or region I struggled with, I actually feel stronger. I'm going with a more pure melee build which I NEVER do in any kind of game similar to Dark Souls. The regions seem easier to clear, more thought out. The region design of Dark Souls was mostly terrible. Everything was so dark.

What does everyone think of Dark Souls 2?
I actually really like Dark Souls 2 because it was my addiction entry into the series, but I think most people consider it the worst one. It's linear, repetitive, and not super difficult. It's still a good time, though.

All these posts have me debating whether or not I want to pick Elden Ring back up. I gave up on it last year because it was just too hard. I was just getting my ass handed to me over and over and didn't seem to be making any progress.

Back