Everything Video Games!

2) You can expand the memory using a compatible microSD card, so the only reason to go with a cartridge is if you prefer physical I believe.

3) Depends. Sometimes there are sales on one and not the other. I like to follow Wario64 on Twitter to stay abreast of game deals but they are not limited to switch.

5) As far as Nintendo games in addition to what you listed I would say Super Mario Odyssey is a must have if 3D platforming sounds good to you. I think Rayman Legends is even better than the New Super Mario Bros if you like 2D platformers and sometimes is on sale for like $8. Lots of great indies, just depends on what you're into. Hades, Hollow Knight, Celeste, Slay the Spire are some of my favorites that come to mind. Haven't played them all on Switch though.
Oh yes, I forgot a lot of those indies have overlap. Hades is one of the tops. Hollow Knight is good too. Thanks for the input!

Tagging the wife here, so she can see answers and ask any follow up questions: @MsLoganHenney

I know we have some Nintendo Switch heads here, and she was just given a barely-used Nintendo Switch Lite (? - wife can confirm) for free from a co-worker. Looking for tips and basics...
3) Is there any price difference in getting phsyical vs cloud? As well, any tips on places to get deals on games?

4) Any MUST have accessories in your opinion? I believe the person gave it to her w/ a case and it looked like an SD card (? - wife can confirm if so and capacity).

5) Finally, I've always wanted to play BoTW. I know Witcher III is good, but I have that on Steam. The wife is interested in Animal Crossing. Any highly recommended titles from you lot?

Thanks and toodles!

Thanks, @BabiesAreWorthlessDiapers for this post! 🥰

Here's my contribution:

4) It comes with a softshell case that can also store game cartridges.

5) It comes with Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy and Crash Bandicoot 4 It’s About Time. I’ve read some of you guys talking about Breath of the Wild, Animal Crossing (I really want to play this one), and some version of a Super Mario game. I also have a Steam account.

Any guidance y’all can provide is appreciated! ☺️

Tagging the wife here, so she can see answers and ask any follow up questions: @MsLoganHenney

I know we have some Nintendo Switch heads here, and she was just given a barely-used Nintendo Switch Lite (? - wife can confirm) for free from a co-worker. Looking for tips and basics...

1) What type of battery life can she expect playing from a full to empty charge?

2) I was researching getting a Switch a couple years ago and read a big limiting factor is internal memory (not sure what it is)....are the two ways to get/play games either downloading from the Nintendo store/cloud (a la Steam-like) or buying the physical games? If so, is one less expensive, pros/cons of the two formats, etc? I did read that the biggest con of cloud download is that limited memory but that could be mitigated by using an SD card. Accurate? If using the physical cartridge I imagine that memory is saved because the game itself is on the cartridge, but would some memory still be utilized for save files? Finally, if using the cloud and removing a game you're no longer playing from the internal memory, would save files/game progress be gone the next time you chose to retrieve it from the cloud?

3) Is there any price difference in getting phsyical vs cloud? As well, any tips on places to get deals on games?

4) Any MUST have accessories in your opinion? I believe the person gave it to her w/ a case and it looked like an SD card (? - wife can confirm if so and capacity).

5) Finally, I've always wanted to play BoTW. I know Witcher III is good, but I have that on Steam. The wife is interested in Animal Crossing. Any highly recommended titles from you lot?

Thanks and toodles!
If you like BotW, try hyrule legends…it servers as a prequel to it (story wise)

It’s addicting as fuck when you get into it

1) What type of battery life can she expect playing from a full to empty charge?

2) I was researching getting a Switch a couple years ago and read a big limiting factor is internal memory (not sure what it is)....are the two ways to get/play games either downloading from the Nintendo store/cloud (a la Steam-like) or buying the physical games? If so, is one less expensive, pros/cons of the two formats, etc? I did read that the biggest con of cloud download is that limited memory but that could be mitigated by using an SD card. Accurate? If using the physical cartridge I imagine that memory is saved because the game itself is on the cartridge, but would some memory still be utilized for save files? Finally, if using the cloud and removing a game you're no longer playing from the internal memory, would save files/game progress be gone the next time you chose to retrieve it from the cloud?

Thanks and toodles!

Here's my contribution:

5) It comes with Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy and Crash Bandicoot 4 It’s About Time. I’ve read some of you guys talking about Breath of the Wild, Animal Crossing (I really want to play this one), and some version of a Super Mario game. I also have a Steam account.

We have both versions of Switch, and my partner primarily uses his Switch Lite. I got him the Satsifye ZenGrip Go (as recommended by Wood aka BeatEmUps on Youtube) and travel case a while back. It's been a permanent fixture on his Lite ever since! It's worth the added comfort for adult-sized hands. (I use the classic Switch almost always docked to the TV aside from Animal Crossing.)

As @dhodo mentioned, the pricing is usually the same across digital/physical, so it's really a matter of preference and if you want to have something for your entertainment center shelves. We've switched to mostly digital. Def recommend a microSD storage upgrade, but it's also pretty easy to just archive games and re-download from the cloud when you're switching game gears.

Totally echo the Super Mario Odyssey recommendation. It's a Switch essential.
My other big Nintendo fave is Splatoon, so I'll be back in on the Switch action when Splatoon 3 releases this year. Splatoon 2 is great and offers a much larger solo campaign than the first game, though I'm not sure how it would play handheld. It's competitive but addicting!

Indies are really where Switch is at, in my mind. I like puzzlers, platformers and Metroidvanias.
GRIS, Gorogoa, Carrion (if you want some horror fun a la The Thing), Katana Zero, Hollow Knight, the SteamWorlds. My partner and roommate would probably both recommend Undertale and Deltarune as well.

We have both versions of Switch, and my partner primarily uses his Switch Lite. I got him the Satsifye ZenGrip Go (as recommended by Wood aka BeatEmUps on Youtube) and travel case a while back. It's been a permanent fixture on his Lite ever since! It's worth the added comfort for adult-sized hands. (I use the classic Switch almost always docked to the TV aside from Animal Crossing.)

As @dhodo mentioned, the pricing is usually the same across digital/physical, so it's really a matter of preference and if you want to have something for your entertainment center shelves. We've switched to mostly digital. Def recommend a microSD storage upgrade, but it's also pretty easy to just archive games and re-download from the cloud when you're switching game gears.

My other big Nintendo fave is Splatoon, so I'll be back in on the Switch action when Splatoon 3 releases this year. Splatoon 2 is great and offers a much larger solo campaign than the first game, though I'm not sure how it would play handheld. It's competitive but addicting!

Indies are really where Switch is at, in my mind. I like puzzlers, platformers and Metroidvanias.
GRIS, Gorogoa, Carrion (if you want some horror fun a la The Thing), Katana Zero, Hollow Knight, the SteamWorlds. My partner and roommate would probably both recommend Undertale and Deltarune as well.
That Zen Grip looks cool. What's it doing for you - basically giving you more space for the palms, better/more natural holding?

Thanks and toodles!
can't comment on the Lite in terms of accessories and such. I normally buy games I really want on physical when available, but I highly recommend getting a decent size Micro SD card.. say 256gb, which shouldn't cost too much, and check the eShop for sales.. they're constantly happening and you can find some great games for great prices, though the games published by Nintendo themselves don't go on sale nearly as often. but most games aren't all that big, at least 85-90% of my digital games are under 6gb, so 256gb can really go a long way in alleviating concerns of the internal memory. Animal Crossing is just under 7gb, so running out of memory shouldn't be a major concern.

Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8, and BotW are the obligatory must haves. for sure get Animal Crossing since you're interested. other games I really enjoyed playing this year are Tetris Effect Connected, Monster Hunter Rise, Metroid Dread, and Golf Story (which is a couple years old but I hadn't played before 2021)

Last edited:
can't comment on the Lite in terms of accessories and such. I normally buy games I really want on physical when available, but I highly recommend getting a decent size Micro SD card.. say 256gb, which shouldn't cost too much, and check the eShop for sales.. they're constantly happening and you can find some great games for great prices, though the games published by Nintendo themselves don't go on sale nearly as often. but most games aren't all that big, at least 85-90% of my digital games are under 6gb, so 256gb can really go a long way in alleviating concerns of the internal memory. Animal Crossing is just under 7gb, so running out of memory shouldn't be a major concern.

Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8, and BotW are the obligatory must haves. for sure get Animal Crossing since you're interested. other games I really enjoyed playing this year are Tetris Effect Connected, Monster Hunter Rise, Metroid Dread, and Golf Story (which is a couple years old but I hadn't played before 2021)
Yes, I remember y'all going gaga over that new Metroid. It sounds good.

Here's my contribution:

hope you enjoy your new Switch!

unfortunately I don't think Steam works with the Switch (outside of modding maybe?) but I have heard nothing but great things about the Crash games on Switch, so that's a great start!

definitely get Animal Crossing if you have the slightest interest, I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

hope you enjoy your new Switch!

unfortunately I don't think Steam works with the Switch (outside of modding maybe?) but I have heard nothing but great things about the Crash games on Switch, so that's a great start!

definitely get Animal Crossing if you have the slightest interest, I'm sure you won't be disappointed!
Yea when she told me they came w that I thought that sounded like a good start!

We have an N64 I nabbed at a flea market a few years back (not currently hooked up) and I got the first Crash game. Fun as heck.

First game I played through was Ocarina of Time and it was such a beautifully fantastic game. Incredibly immersive and inspiring, given its depth of narrative and how attached I felt by the end.

I never had an N64 growing up and only really played the group games (Mario Kart 64, Golden Eye - both of which I got copies of) at friends' houses.

Yea when she told me they came w that I thought that sounded like a good start!

We have an N64 I nabbed at a flea market a few years back (not currently hooked up) and I got the first Crash game. Fun as heck.

First game I played through was Ocarina of Time and it was such a beautifully fantastic game. Incredibly immersive and inspiring, given its depth of narrative and how attached I felt by the end.

I never had an N64 growing up and only really played the group games (Mario Kart 64, Golden Eye - both of which I got copies of) at friends' houses.
1642173058320.png

2) You can expand the memory using a compatible microSD card, so the only reason to go with a cartridge is if you prefer physical I believe.

3) Depends. Sometimes there are sales on one and not the other. I like to follow Wario64 on Twitter to stay abreast of game deals but they are not limited to switch.

5) As far as Nintendo games in addition to what you listed I would say Super Mario Odyssey is a must have if 3D platforming sounds good to you. I think Rayman Legends is even better than the New Super Mario Bros if you like 2D platformers and sometimes is on sale for like $8. Lots of great indies, just depends on what you're into. Hades, Hollow Knight, Celeste, Slay the Spire are some of my favorites that come to mind. Haven't played them all on Switch though.
I second these game recommendations, especially Rayman Legends. One of the greatest 2D platformers ever made. Also, the switch version of Hollow Night saved me from having a negative opinion of the game. Originally bought on Steam, but had input lag issues on my computer to the point of being unplayable. Rebought when Switch version came out, and fell in love.

Adding a couple more games to the list, I recently started A Hat In Time, which is another 3D platformer that draws a lot of inspiration from Mario and Banjo-Kazooie. Iconoclasts is a highly overlooked Metroidvania. Bug Fables is a charming RPG that pays massive homage to Paper Mario. Crypt of the Necrodancer is also great, it's a rhythm based dungeon crawler, and there's a LoZ themed spin off game that I still need to play.

Seconding the Satisfye recommendation here. I have one for my Switch Lite, and it is an absolute hand saver. They also sent some thumbstick grips, and they work on other controllers as well. Ended up using them on a couple Xbox controllers that my daughter got a hold of during her chew everything phase.

EPIC Games had a sale over the holidays and I picked up some stuff to play. Been playing thru Borderlands 3 which I haven't had the chance to play before (I loved the first 2) - I've come to realize I love games with 1. Loot 2. Gambling lol.

Been playing the Final Fantasy VII remake the last week and a half and loving it.

Currently at chapter 18.

I heard some rumors that there is a Final Fantasy VII Remake Part II in the works. That will be a no brainer for me to pick up if that is the case.

Back