Everything Video Games!

The Souls games are already incredibly convoluted when it comes to story. It's weird-ass stuff. Which is fine, most people I know play them for the challenge and the game play, not the story. Now add in George RR Martin, in my opinion the most overrated author of our time, expand to an open world and put a focus on the story instead of having it as a vehicle for the game play. I just expect it to be utter nonsense and I look forward to watching someone else play it.
Same.

The Souls games are already incredibly convoluted when it comes to story. It's weird-ass stuff. Which is fine, most people I know play them for the challenge and the game play, not the story. Now add in George RR Martin, in my opinion the most overrated author of our time, expand to an open world and put a focus on the story instead of having it as a vehicle for the game play. I just expect it to be utter nonsense and I look forward to watching someone else play it.
Yeah, I'm right there with you. I really think Martin's just writing whatever equivalent Elden Ring will have for descriptions of items during loading screens in the other Souls games, which leaves me unconcerned and underwhelmed. But then I'm pretty used to Martin basically pasting his name on fiddle-faddle to generate interest. But seeing as it's the last thing I come to these games for, I'm not very concerned. About a year after release someone will put a 47-minute video on youtube explaining it all to me.

I'm a bit leery on the open world of it all, but I also think Miyazaki excels at environmental storytelling and design. I even had to ask myself whether Dark Souls (especially 1) is an open-world game or not, considering there's a lot you can access from the game's start, and the interconnectedness of areas makes the entire map feel fluid and accessible. I imagine we'll see a lot of progression-related changes to the environment, kind of like Bloodborne.

Overall, I'm stoked. Souls games (I know this isn't a Dark Souls game, but c'mon) are pretty much the only ones I have any anticipation for.

Is the focus on the story instead of the gameplay? I hear GRRm is writing the background lore and such (which IMO is the kind of stuff he's best at), but I haven't heard anything about it being story-focused. It's FROM, all of their games so far have put gameplay front and center and story second. Don't see why this would be any different.

Is the focus on the story instead of the gameplay? I hear GRRm is writing the background lore and such (which IMO is the kind of stuff he's best at), but I haven't heard anything about it being story-focused. It's FROM, all of their games so far have put gameplay front and center and story second. Don't see why this would be any different.
You may be right, though I thought the point of this was to lean the other way, otherwise it is just another Souls game.

Who else is watching 👀 the Xbox and Bethesa Games Showcase? What games 🎮 are you the most excited for?

I'll start first...Farcry 6, Battlefield 2042, Halo Infinite ♾, Stalker 2, Elder Scroll VI and Diablo II: Resurrected!

Last edited:
Starfield... And it means I'm gunna have to buy a XBox at some point...

Oh also, got the new Ratchet and Clank for the PS5 and sweet jesus, it looks as good if not better than a Pixar movie, it's bonkers.

Starfield... And it means I'm gunna have to buy a XBox at some point...

Oh also, got the new Ratchet and Clank for the PS5 and sweet jesus, it looks as good if not better than a Pixar movie, it's bonkers.
Oh yes I forgot about Starfield, but that one doesn't come out until November 2022 if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
The only thing that makes me leery of Elden Ring is that some of those bosses moved a hell of a lot like Sekiro bosses. I hate the combat in Sekiro. And I don't mean 'it's not my favorite, but I deal with it' I mean I fucking 'hate' the combat and gameplay loop of that game. I've played through and loved all the Soulsborne titles. I started Sekiro about 10 times and set it down within hours each time. I can't imagine this game sticking you to one style of combat, though, like Sekiro. I saw the main character shooting magic at one point so I'm hopeful that the character system works like the Soulsborne series where I can fight how I want (which is mostly as big a sword as I can carry).

I'm excited for Battlefield 2042, but I'm not excited for paying $70 for a game with monetized Season Operators, cosmetics, and (more than likely) post release content. I feel like it's going the Rainbow Six: Siege route where they charge you the same as if the game was a Free-to-Play. It looks like we're gonna get back to the Battlefield 4 style of play, so I'm in for that. The grappling hook is a HUGE addition! No more sniper nests that you have to climb and jank your way up to, so snipers should be a lot easier to deal with. Also, if that grappling hook will attach to vehicles look out. I'll be running C4 all day and ziplining to helicopters, instead of seeing one, pissing myself, and hiding under rubble or in a building till it's gone to some other part of the map.

Super stoked for Forza Horizon 5. That game looks beautiful. Love all the games coming to Gamepass. I usually bounce off of racing games within a few weeks or a month, so it's really nice to be able to just download this as part of Gamepass and get my fill of it.

Starfield seems interesting. We still don't know much about it, but if it's just the Elder Scrolls gameplay with Space and pretty visuals pasted on it, then count me in for that, as well.

Contraband was the game that piqued my interest the most. The creators of Just Cause, with an open world, co-op, Smuggler's Run style game? Yes please. The goofy shit you can get into in the Just Cause franchise is tailor made for fun co-op sessions.

Speaking of playing with friends, Party Animals is great. I played the demo on Steam last year and had a fucking blast! That's gonna be a hit with game groups and streamers. It's like Gang Beasts, except the controls are better, the netcode is better, the movement is better, the visuals are better, the maps are better, and there's weapons. Those are better. It's better.

Now, if Nintendo shows me more Breath of the Wild 2 I'll be a happy happy gamer.

Last edited:
I was disappointed in a lot of the announcements. Diablo II remake looks good I guess. I wanted to know more about Redfall and Starfield, but they just had cinematics that tell me nothing. At least Outer Worlds 2 owned their bullshit.

Atomic Heart looks interesting, like Bioshock mixed with Control. I'm not sure how I feel about Halo Infinite. Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes looks gorgeous, I think it's supposed to be the successor to Suikoden.

I was disappointed in a lot of the announcements. Diablo II remake looks good I guess. I wanted to know more about Redfall and Starfield, but they just had cinematics that tell me nothing. At least Outer Worlds 2 owned their bullshit.

Atomic Heart looks interesting, like Bioshock mixed with Control. I'm not sure how I feel about Halo Infinite. Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes looks gorgeous, I think it's supposed to be the successor to Suikoden.
There's plenty time for more info, trailers etc. on Redfall and Starfield, as the games are only slated for Summer and Fall 2022.

I really liked how Microsoft did their presentation this year. Very little talking and grandstanding, more game trailers with release dates. Tons of new stuff coming to Game Pass regularly, and honestly, most of what they showed is something I would at least try. Psychonauts 2 release date was all I really wanted, and we got it!

I did spend most of the presentation wondering if Phil Spencer had been kidnapped. I was missing those "Xbox has/is the most/best..." statements.

Funnily enough, I had the opposite reaction to Ubisoft. They don't usually have a ton I look forward to. Rocksmith and Mario Rabbids were great, and I'll probably play Far Cry 6 in a few years when it's on sale like I do all the others. I think their presentation was really lacking from being online. I don't know about anyone else, but I like to watch their presentations to see how cringey they can get. Also, I have no hope anymore for a new Rayman.

And Square Enix...*sigh. You go in to the corner and think about what you did. I'm still very excited for Legend of Mana, but not because of this presentation. Guardians of the Galaxy has promise I guess.

I really liked how Microsoft did their presentation this year. Very little talking and grandstanding, more game trailers with release dates. Tons of new stuff coming to Game Pass regularly, and honestly, most of what they showed is something I would at least try. Psychonauts 2 release date was all I really wanted, and we got it!

I did spend most of the presentation wondering if Phil Spencer had been kidnapped. I was missing those "Xbox has/is the most/best..." statements.

Funnily enough, I had the opposite reaction to Ubisoft. They don't usually have a ton I look forward to. Rocksmith and Mario Rabbids were great, and I'll probably play Far Cry 6 in a few years when it's on sale like I do all the others. I think their presentation was really lacking from being online. I don't know about anyone else, but I like to watch their presentations to see how cringey they can get. Also, I have no hope anymore for a new Rayman.

And Square Enix...*sigh. You go in to the corner and think about what you did. I'm still very excited for Legend of Mana, but not because of this presentation. Guardians of the Galaxy has promise I guess.
You're not excited for Devil May Final Fantasy Origins? /sarcasm

I only just saw the new Atomic Heart trailer this morning. That game's been a looong time coming and very slow on development news. I chipped in on a preorder campaign back in Nov. 2018, so I'll have a digital copy of the game on release.

This new trailer is way wackier than I anticipated, but I'm no less interested because of it! I'll gladly take something unexpected and unusual.

Back