Everything Video Games!

When Cyberpunk 2077 launched its first teaser, it seemed right up my alley. It inspired me to be a better sci-fi fan and actually dive into the inspiration sources. I'm almost finished reading Hardwired, which the earlier Cyberpunk 2013 RPG was largely based around, and this new trailer leans heavily into the blackmarket courier dealings Hardwired depicts.

What I like about Hardwired is how it explores both male and female leads, their autonomy, and their vulnerabilities in a world and in lines of work that require them to be hardened professionals. Identity is such a huge part of the characters' motivations/struggles, even for the side characters, and sexuality plays a part in that for many. Masculinity is not without femininity, and sexuality doesn't define anyone.

I do hope CDPR draws even more heavily on this nuance in characterization. I mean, that trailer was somewhat homoerotic, but maybe that's just me looking for something I'd like to see. Either way, the purported romance-ability within the game and customizable characters gives me hope that they won't restrict players from pursuing a wider variety of choices in developing their playthroughs.
With W3 it wasn’t just the choices that were available to us, the main story constantly undercut Geralt as being a “big tough man”.

I think Keanu Reeves won E3. Can't think of anything beating that. Banjo being in smash maybe.

I get the criticism of Cyberpunk looking hyper masculine but at the end of the day all we've seen is trailers and limited gameplay. I don't think judging it before we get reviews or more gameplay is fair.

I thought Microsoft's presentation was really good. Sounds like they're furthering their ability to play between Xbox and PC. The game pass for PC announcement was awesome. Hopefully the stuff that's been going around about them also working with Nintendo pans out.

Tim Shafer (Double Fine) with MS money is both terrifying and exciting.

Ori 2 getting a release date was all I really wanted this year, so all the other awesome stuff has been absolute wins for me!

E3 Started with EA Play yesterday and boy does Jedi Fallen Order look good. This is the best/worst time of year for me as I begrudgingly look at all the games I am hype for and then see my budget laugh at the idea of getting even 1/2 of them.

I hear you there, I'm going to have to make some hard choices this year, and pick some up next year (on sale!). Doesn't help JFO and Pokemon both come out on the same day, which also happens to be my birthday.

lego forza won E3

project scarlette seems too good to be true (8K, 120FPS, and variable refresh rate by the end of 2020)...

that or i need a new computer

As an IT guy, the unique hardware they've been developing really grabbed my attention. My concern right now is the cost. They were also pretty quiet about backwards compatibility and the new streaming service.

When they first started the Forza presentation, my wife and I both said "Is that a car, again?" Then we saw it was a Lego car and were immediately impressed.

Just spent a few hours catching up on the Bethesda and Microsoft announcements (time I should have spent writing for work).

I'll probably be giving Fallout 76 a shot this week. Reason enough to finally also use the free PS Plus trial.

Overall, the Bethesda presentation hit the right apologetic tone given the past year's events, but it still kind of fell flat. Had hoped they'd really come out swinging. Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop are both intriguing at least.

Xbox's presentation was super impersonal, but had a lot more "huh" moments. Like, I might actually consider the Xbox PC Game Pass — especially for Metro Exodus right out the gate. Happy to see Dead Static Drive featured, and I hope there's a release on the horizon. Been following that development for a while. Cyberpunk 2077 is definitely on my list (probably on PS4, tbh), and Elden Ring is exciting in concept. Outer Worlds and Ori were noteworthy, and I really need to get my ass in gear on the earlier Borderlands games.

When Game Pass first came out, I wasn't interested because I already owned most of the games that I would have played on it. Now, all the Xbox studios games are on it day one, and there are a bunch of titles already on there that fell through the cracks for me. My gold expires in September, so I'm thinking I'll just subscribe to the Ultimate plan. Xbox, PC and Gold for $15 is half of what I was expecting it to cost.

I think Keanu Reeves won E3. Can't think of anything beating that. Banjo being in smash maybe.

I get the criticism of Cyberpunk looking hyper masculine but at the end of the day all we've seen is trailers and limited gameplay. I don't think judging it before we get reviews or more gameplay is fair.

I was really hoping that a new Banjo game would get teased. Oh well, the Battletoads announcement made up for it.

Totally fair. But we also shouldn’t assume it’s good before it comes out either. People now in culture have things they “like” be a core part of their identity and will defend it at all costs. This is especially true with nerd culture like the whole marvel vs dc thing or Star Wars movies.

Basically I just want to wait and see. Same thing with Death Stranding.

Totally fair. But we also shouldn’t assume it’s good before it comes out either. People now in culture have things they “like” be a core part of their identity and will defend it at all costs. This is especially true with nerd culture like the whole marvel vs dc thing or Star Wars movies.

Basically I just want to wait and see. Same thing with Death Stranding.
Totally understand and honestly the only thing I am excited for is the setting and Keanu. Game wise I am waiting to see how its gonna go. I didn't like The Witcher 3 so I am on the fence for this game.

As an IT guy, the unique hardware they've been developing really grabbed my attention. My concern right now is the cost. They were also pretty quiet about backwards compatibility and the new streaming service.
Since you are in IT I am wondering

Won't their whole virtual ram through the SSD thing just ruin the read write cycles and kill it faster?

Since you are in IT I am wondering

Won't their whole virtual ram through the SSD thing just ruin the read write cycles and kill it faster?
I'm not sure, but I don't think so. MS already has a similar thing on PC called readyboost, where you can use a flash drive as a sort of hybrid ram. Works pretty well with older hardware. Sounds like this could be a potentially faster version of readyboost. Hopefully they share more details, I too am curious how this works.

I'm not sure, but I don't think so. MS already has a similar thing on PC called readyboost, where you can use a flash drive as a sort of hybrid ram. Works pretty well with older hardware. Sounds like this could be a potentially faster version of readyboost. Hopefully they share more details, I too am curious how this works.
Would you know anything about the Orion thing they showed at Bethesdas conference? I am not entirely sure what it is they were describing.

First day of E3 was a bit of a letdown. I was really hoping Microsoft would pull out some cool stuff, and really it wasn't much to be excited about (for me, personally). I get why Sony backed out now too, given that they probably would have had similar topics to discuss. No point in talking about next gen if it's still all mumbo-jumbo tech-talk that means nothing.

I'm still super excited for Square tonight and Nintendo tomorrow. FF7 remake has me real interested, and I'm obviously super excited for whatever this Avengers game is. Although I'm not into the rumors of a Destiny-like set-up. Also have my fingers crossed for a FFXVI tease.

Would you know anything about the Orion thing they showed at Bethesdas conference? I am not entirely sure what it is they were describing.
I missed the Bethesda conference yesterday, and just watched the trailers they uploaded to their youtube. They were pretty vague about what it is exactly, but it sounds like it would be something built into the game's engine to make it work better for streaming. Hopefully they will give more details. If it is just an optimization thing, I wonder if they will sell it to other devs.

No Beyond Good and Evil 2 news, and no new Rayman. New Watch Dogs looked ok, but otherwise the Ubisoft presentation was super meh.
Can't say I'm paying super close attention but while I loved Watch Dogs 1, I though Watch Dogs 2 was hot garbage. Really hoping that the new one fixes a lot of what made 2 so terrible. (yeah, I know I'm in the minority with that opinion)

Back