Everything Video Games!

Finished a second game this week - Super mario Galaxy. I completed 120 stars with Mario, and 121 stars with Luigi, so now I have 100% completed all games in 3D All-Stars. I waited to discuss Galaxy to see if my opinions from when I originally played it on release have changed now. Here's my thoughts:

The Environment: the world still looks great, and has a lot of variety in the scenery. There's a mysticism around everything, and stuff like the star bits falling around the world, and travelling between planets from the star shooters is still highly satisfying. Walking around the hub and seeing all the rooms and the lumas everywhere makes things feel alive. Enemy variety is a little lacking, but that's pretty commonplace for mario.

The Controls: I typically compare controls to Mario 64 when it comes to 3D platformers, for both the good (quick fluid movement) and the bad (precision and quick turn arounds). I feel like for the most part, the fine movement is better here, but Mario feels slower in the quicker movements, even though the moveset is similar. Another issue I had was judging the hitbox for the spin move. Most of the time it wasn't an issue, but the Pokey's in the sand world gave me way more trouble than they should have. Then Luigi shows up and throws all that out the window. His take off is slower, but overall speed is faster, and he can jump higher, which is great for skipping some parts of levels, but his inability to stop quickly made some of the later levels a real chore, particularly in the purple coin auto scrollers. One thing that I did have a better experience with than I originally remember was the motion controls. I played on a switch lite with a grip case. Grabbing star bits was a simple finger wag on the screen, and the parts where you blow Mario around in a bubble were very easy due to precise finger tapping. The ball sections were fine too, and my only complaint was I had to sit up straight to use it, as it picked a fixed point for the "upright" position.

The Completion Journey: Like the first time I played though, I found a lot of the stars and areas to be highly forgettable. This has been consistent across all 3 games in the collection, but I feel the other two games had more highly memorable moments. I forgot some parts in short timeframe between my Mario and Luigi playthroughs. Comparing to Mario 64, in that game I may forget entire worlds between playthroughs, once I'm in there, the star descriptions have it all come flooding back in. Galaxy tries a similar setup, but I find the star descriptions not all that helpful. I think a lot of it is that the basic setup is the same for a lot of the stars: run to the star shooters, and go to each little planet to do the thing that gets you to the next area. Travelling around on the planets is fun, but everything moves so quickly and is often just a straight path to each star, so that sense of discovery isn't there that is present in 64. Sunshine had a similar issue, but I feel like the challenges to get each star had more variety.

The Difficulty: This one's the easiest by far. I flew through it without too much trouble. Some of the races you do as Luigi seem faster than the Mario version, which does add some challenge, but still only took a couple tries to get the movement down correctly. The only time I struggled was due to Luigi's movement, and even then taking it really carefully usually let to success.

Overall, the game is still fun, but I think I had more problems with this one than the other two in the collection. I really wish they'd add Galaxy 2, as I hear that one takes Galaxy's foundation and runs with it. Sadly, I never got to play it since I sold my Wii before it released.

After taking a light break to play through Mario Galaxy, I'm back on the Hades train. Getting real close to beating floor 3 for the first time. I'm getting to floor 3 consistently now. One thing that's changed is that I've realized the value of your cast, and use it much more often than I used to. I got real close to defeating the bosses last night. Is there a more optimal choice for which one to take out first?

After taking a light break to play through Mario Galaxy, I'm back on the Hades train. Getting real close to beating floor 3 for the first time. I'm getting to floor 3 consistently now. One thing that's changed is that I've realized the value of your cast, and use it much more often than I used to. I got real close to defeating the bosses last night. Is there a more optimal choice for which one to take out first?
I always took out the Bull first. He moves around too much.
Using your cast is important, especially if you're using the mirror to boost damage if they have your cast on them.

I prefer to take the minotaur out first, since he rushes in a lot; it's easier to inactively avoid the other guy's ranged attacks while focusing on the bull IMHO.

getting back into Cyberpunk...and even though it's buggy it is a fun game.
I got my refund a few weeks back. I'm shocked the ps5 update isn't scheduled till late summer now. Might have to wait till then to rebuy and play it...

I always took out the Bull first. He moves around too much.
Using your cast is important, especially if you're using the mirror to boost damage if they have your cast on them.
Have to take out the bull first. Also helps if you do the “challenge rooms” and get lucky and get him on his own to knock down some of his health

Later in the game and with certain set ups it may make sense to take out Theseus first but usually Asterius and his chaos should be your first priority. With that said it's not the worst idea to send some passive/area damage in Theseus direction occasionally too.

With that said, I agree to not underrate the cast. In the right builds the cast can be enough to outright win huge battles, especially when you get duo boons with the cast.

I had a decent guide here but I lost it so trying again: this is assuming no special weapon aspects or any battle difficulty enhancements.

• Take the time to learn the bull's attack patterns. He only has four or five attacks and knowing what they are makes this fight way easier.
  • The only time you really want them together is if you have some large area of effect damage you can do. Early in the game, that's basically just some of your calls (Ares, Zeus, Poseidon, Athena, Dionysus), and Dionysus' cast. Other than that, keep 'em separated
  • The dash is your best friend in this battle as you'll do a ton of it. I personally found that an offensive dash makes this battle easier. Tidal Dash is always welcome (especially if you get Rupture on it), but Ares' Dash is really effective with Asterius' movement chasing you. Even Dionysus and Aphrodite's dashes, sticking a status on the bull, have big dividends in the long run. Athena's Divine Dash, a godsend in most other early levels, begins to lose its luster here.
  • Your call is your other big weapon in this battle. It'll almost certainly last long enough to get one fully powered call out, and possibly two. Early on, I'd aim to save up your call until it's full and blast Asterius after he's below half health. Use the rest of the time to build up the gauge again to use the second Theseus goes into his "god mode" and is no longer impervious. It'll bring him from 50% down a ton. I like Aphrodite's call in this battle as charm gives you a breather (single gauge) and the flat 2.5k damage is beautiful.
  • By weapon
    • Sword: Toughest one for me. I'd generally rely on cast, attack when he's stunned and special when you're dodging. Ideally you have some passive damage on your boons (standard hangover or doom, or lightning/jolted ; water/rupture) that you can use.
    • Spear: Pot shots with the special from a distance are generally safe until he closes the gap. Other than that rely on cast and distance attacking.
    • Shield: Easiest weapon for this battle IMO. Make sure you're positioned where Theseus can't really hit you and then hold your shield up. Nothing Asterius does alone really does anything to the shield and then you can bull rush for damage, and repeat. This is also the one weapon where it may be justifiable to take out Theseus first but I found it easier to just take out the bull first as Theseus has more to hit you so more focus is needed.
    • Bow: This one is trickier than it seems until you unlock other forms of the bow. It may seem like you want to hit at a distance but I found the bow was really too slow to deal damage normally from a far distance. My thought is that you want to treat it like the sword oddly enough: if you can get in close and safely special to nail it with a ton of arrows. If not, use your power spot and cast to do much of the work.
    • Fists: Go in with a ton of health, stay super close, and just pound away. I'd probably stay away until you know the pattern he's going to use (so if it's his swing you stay back, but anything else you can stay close and just wallop on him).
    • Rail: Use your special liberally since you can generally know where he'll be, dash a ton to avoid his stuff, and then use your attack when it's safe to.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips everyone, looks I was doing the fight backwards, trying to kill Theseus first. I played a bit more last night, and realized I wasn't fully understanding the calls either. I thought the bar filled and stayed filled, I didn't realize it was per room until I saw one of the shop items that fills 15% at the start of every room. I started using the calls more often in the runs following.

Thanks for all the tips everyone, looks I was doing the fight backwards, trying to kill Theseus first. I played a bit more last night, and realized I wasn't fully understanding the calls either. I thought the bar filled and stayed filled, I didn't realize it was per room until I saw one of the shop items that fills 15% at the start of every room. I started using the calls more often in the runs following.
Calls were confusing as heck before I got my first one; worst part was I thought the boons which gave the calls instead augmented those calls; I thought I needed to unlock some ability to use calls in order for those boons to be useful, so I never picked them. So I basically withheld calls from myself for a long, long time.

Calls were confusing as heck before I got my first one; worst part was I thought the boons which gave the calls instead augmented those calls; I thought I needed to unlock some ability to use calls in order for those boons to be useful, so I never picked them. So I basically withheld calls from myself for a long, long time.
I had a similar issue the first few times I came across them, then I had one that was a fated choice while my other options were not, so I took it for the sake of checking it off, and discovered it gave me the call

Speaking of Hades and calls....

I love Artemis' call, followed closely Demeter's.

I hate Poseidon's. Being that impervious wave is unwieldy and I get hardly as much damage out of it.

I love Artemis' because it is position-independent. It doesn't matter where you are, it will seek out enemies. And if you wait till it's at full charge it unleashes destruction (it can wipe out a large chuck of a bosses' health bar). I like Demeter's second because while it's epicenter will be where you start it, it won't follow you so you can set it and forget it and get out of the area. And, again, if you wait till it's completely full it will take up most of the screen.

If you can pair those with Hermes' boon that charges it auto, Zeus' that fills it faster when you give or receive damage, or Athena's (? I think) that starts with it partially full each chamber then you're golden.

Also with Hades....I've mentioned here before I'm not a completionist with most games. Fuck if Hades broke that generality with me. I've now completed the epilogue and forged bonds with almost everyone, except Aphrodite, Demeter, Dusa, Nyx, and Chaos.

I'm not sure what I need for Demeter. I know you have to finish the epilogue, which I have, but I don't know what will trigger her last heart unlock.

For Aphrodite you have to finish all three relationships with Dusa, Megaera, and Thanatos (philia/eros/agape, respectively) to unlock. So, once I finish my bond w/ Dusa (I need to give her two more ambrosia), then Aphrodite should unlock.

For Nyx and Chaos, you have to unlock the Elder Sigil to complete the bridge between them. I've done that and Nyx has gone off on her vision quest or whatever but I still haven't had any advancement for that triggered.

I think once I finish those last five bonds then I'm going to put it down for a bit. Even, with a good amount of pacts of punishment, I'm now completing runs with some ease. Also, there was no bond I was more proud of forging than with Cerberus. I love that satyr-sack breathed motherfucker.

Last edited:
I feel like every time I finish an open world type game, I tend to machine gun through a bunch of titles after that before starting the next one. Since I completed Jedi Fallen Order last week, I decided to play through some of the quicker games in my backlog. Xbox giving out rewards points for achievements helped lead this decision as well, since I was going to start Control next. Anyways, I played through Little Nightmares fully, and then did chapter select to get the rest of the collectibles. I missed some really stupid ones, but they were easy enough to get back to. Has anyone played the DLC for this one? I'm guessing it's worth it, but just wanted to check. I'm also dreading attempting the speedrun achievement. The table near the end in particular (you know the one if you've played it) really scares me, since you can't die and seems like an easy place to do just that, and right before the end to boot.

I've also been playing River City Girls. This one's a lot of fun. It feels like ages since I last played a beat em up, and this one certainly scratches that itch. It's also got some modern tweaks that make things a little less frustrating. The best one is tied to dying. It's pretty forgiving, but when you die the screen resets and you lose money. No life system or starting the whole thing over. Combat is fun and bosses have some variety to them. You can also buy health items to keep with you for use on the fly, and you get two equippables that give small boosts to one area. You can also recruit the last enemy on the screen during the right conditions, and summon them in to do a special move. Reminds me of Marvel vs. Capcom a bit.

Also been playing beat saber regularly for some exercise when I can't go for walks. One of these days I'm going to cross the threshold and make the leap to Expert+. For now, it's just turn No Fail on and attempt it, which is still a good workout even if I can't pass the songs yet.

Any reason not to get Hades on Switch? Less convenient for me to play it on PC at the moment. I didn't realise it wasn't on Playstation.

Last edited:
Anyone getting excited for super Mario 3D world ? I know it’s a switch port but I loved every second of that game. Since time has passed I’m looking forward to playing it with my kids who weren’t around when this released or were too young.
I was sad and rolled credits on this game 100% by myself.
My daughter purchased a princess peach cat plush last year , before knowing the port was coming. She’s extra excited for it now.

Back