Everything Video Games!

Soooooo..........Co-Op Mode in Untitled Goose Game is a helluva lot of fun.

2UG43L_0Wh22kwg00

Carry on.

Should be coming tomorrow, I think. Can't wait.

Of course, now the rest of my system is a bottleneck.

More progress on Dark Souls this weekend. Made it through Duke Archives and the Crystal area. Seath the Scaleless has been slain. First round was rough, ended up finding out the hard way how to make it vulnerable. Initial attacks kept healing, so I started looking around for a healing device, and watching him for a tell to break the spell. By the time I realized how to break the spell, I had been cursed. Fortunately the clams right before him dropped the cure. Second attempt, sprinted straight to the boss, and then straight to the spell breaker. I also equipped curse resistant gear prior. Once I could damage the dragon, the fight went down pretty smooth. I was hit with a couple of crystal attacks, but nothing too damaging, and the curse resist worked. I sadly didn't get the tail break, but I'm happy with my main weapons (currently +10 mace, +5 ghost blade, and +5 lightning spear) so missing the sword wasn't a huge deal. Decided to continue my dragon dealings and went back to Undead Burg, and confronted the dragon on the bridge. Took a few deaths from the one-shot fire attack, and after getting tired of the constant fire, decided to try luring the dragon out, and made a run for the area below the perch. This worked, and I found a bonfire, and everyone's favorite sunny boy, Solaire. I joined the covenant, finally getting one of the lightning miracles my character was partially built for. To get the other, I need 7 more sunlight medals. Tried hanging out around Ornstein and Smough, but nobody joined. Oh well, maybe another time. I haven't tried out the new spell, so maybe that's all I'll need? Not sure where to go next, I expected the next area to be past the dragon but that just opens a shortcut.

Still plodding along with Horizon Zero Dawn. Up to level 14 now, and I'm enjoying it. I have a feeling its going to take me ages, but I'm having fun with it.

Zero Dawn might be my favorite big budget title of this generation from a pure JOY standpoint. It takes a moment to get rolling but the gameplay mechanics are just so much fun and the story is low key excellent.

It took me a moment because I got a puppy right when it dropped, but I just finished The Last of Us 2 a couple nights ago. The first one is my favorite game of all time (with apologies to Conkers Bad Fur Day)— and while I do have a couple small issues (the early game pacing, a couple small things related to world building), the mid game twist was brilliant and I’m still lingering on the ending. And the way it manages to subvert your relationships with the characters and make you feel dirty for being behind the controller is not only powerful but a revelatory use of the medium.

I paused Red Dead halfway through to replay the Last of Us and then to take on the sequel, but if I were ranking my fav AAA titles of this era, it be something like:

1) God of War
2t) Last of Us 2
2t) Zero Dawn Horizon
4) Persona 5
5) RD2 or Nier Automata depending on how the second half of the former goes

Last edited:
I understand the frustration with roguelikes or roguelites. On the one hand, I really like Binding of Isaac and FTL, however there are games like Dead Cells, where every time you die it feels like you have to go through the chore of retracing your steps through a slightly-different version of the same few starting zones, and it can get really annoying to have to play 45 minutes of game just to get to those 10 minutes that typically kill you.

But the gameplay mechanics in Dead Cells are sooo rewarding. And as you progress you are basically racking up experience points (Dead Cells) that can be used on upgrades that make the game easier. I’ve died at the final boss multiple times but still occasionally pick up the game to see if I can finally beat it. As somebody who grew up on side scrollers I’d say it ranks alongside Turtles in Time as my favorite of the genre (though it has more in common with Castlevania: SotN).

I am *checks notes* three years late to the party, but What Remains of Edith Finch was magical.

Oh man, what a fantastic experience it was to play this game with my girlfriend. She's less of a gamer than I am, but we both are suckers for stories told in interesting ways. This one is special.

Lewis's story was one of the most unforgettable moments I've ever had in a game. Such an amazingly clever mechanic to lead you through his story that builds to an absolutely shattering climax. My jaw was seriously on the floor.

But the gameplay mechanics in Dead Cells are sooo rewarding. And as you progress you are basically racking up experience points (Dead Cells) that can be used on upgrades that make the game easier. I’ve died at the final boss multiple times but still occasionally pick up the game to see if I can finally beat it. As somebody who grew up on side scrollers I’d say it ranks alongside Turtles in Time as my favorite of the genre (though it has more in common with Castlevania: SotN).
I don't know what I've been doing wrong, but I hit a real wall with that game, where I didn't have any upgrades or new starter weapons to unlock, yet I was still getting hung up on the same zone(s), and it truly felt like there wasn't any way through. I might have to pick it up to see what fresh eyes may do to help, but overall, I found myself reliably dying at the same point and gave up on it.

Coincidentally, I've been playing Hades for the last week or so, and that game does a stunning job of balancing single-run progress with meta progress; you feel stronger as you progress within a single run, and the permanent upgrades give you a sense of progression without eventually nerfing everything you run into.

Coincidentally, I've been playing Hades for the last week or so, and that game does a stunning job of balancing single-run progress with meta progress; you feel stronger as you progress within a single run, and the permanent upgrades give you a sense of progression without eventually nerfing everything you run into.

Yeah, I’m looking forward to that one after hearing comps to Blood Cells and people raving about it in general.

Unless you are dying very early in Blood Cells you should always be able to get new weapons. The cells you find during a run become spendable at the end of every level (on weapons, powers, the # of health potions you get for each run). And then if you die you are back at level one— which means you can grind through those early levels again for more experience points (with your new weapons and powers making it both easier and different in its play style).

Unsure where to go in Dark Souls, I consulted the walkthrough I check after an area to see if I missed anything. Completely forgot about New Londo Ruins. Last time I went there I was fairly low level and only went there to get the compact bow. Went back last night with an upgraded jagged ghost blade, and had an easier, but still sucky time with the ghosts. Managed to unlock the next area, but died from a foolish fall. Also forgot about Valley of the Drakes, I'll go there after I finish with New Londo. Fortunately I unlocked the shortcut, so hopefully I don't have to deal with too many more ghosts. Picked up a large ember while I was down there, I'm hoping this lets me upgrade my mace further, as I'm now at a point where the strength scaling is going to be reeeeal nice.

I'm hearing reports the that pre-sale for both the PS5 and Xbox Series X/S was disastrous and have left thousands of very angry gamers.

Bots were able to complete pre-orders faster than any humans could, with the majority of all pre-order sales going to bots.

Pre-order confirmations scored by bots are going up on eBay for bid and going for anywhere from 2 to 6 times MSRP. For most gamers, the only way to get one of these new systems this year will be to buy them from scalpers paying hundreds if not thousands of dollars more if they are to get the console this holiday season.

That Minecraft announcement for Smash is wild. This buddy buddy relationship between Nintendo and Microsoft make me wonder what's next?

Replaying through Little Nightmares - anticipating the follow-up early '21. Great game, really well put together. Nothing particularly difficult outside of some light platforming, puzzles. And not super scary. But the atmosphere and the shades of storytelling make it come together and execute really well.

Last edited:
20201003_130346.jpg
So I've wanted an arcade cab for like my entire lifetime and I finally ordered one and I got it today and it has 12500 games on it and that includes all the old PC games like Kings Quest and Leisure Suit Larry and then like every arcade game you can possibly imagine and I haven't left my basement all day and I am freaking the fuck out okay gotta go byeeeeeee

Last edited:
Back