Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Imperial gallons are 20% larger than US gallons, fwiw. And I'm guessing @MikeH drives a pickup?
He called it a car and that’s a sin according to every truck owner I know. Plus, a truck should be able to handle a pothole fairly easily.

I do not have a pickup hah. I have a 2012 BMW X3 that I bought off my brother for next to nothing. I think it typically gets between 19 and 26mpg depending on city vs highway driving. The tank is something like 17-18 gallons, and I spend $50ish to top it up every 3-4 weeks... So it's not too bad. Will definitely get a more fuel efficient car/a hybrid when we need a new one.

Called a tow truck today since we live in a really hilly area and my car could barely make it up the hill to our house in limp mode Saturday night. Didn't think I'd make it to the repair shop. Had the same alerts yesterday when i went to get in the car to test it. Went to drive it down our driveway to get to the street since a tow truck probably wouldn't fit down our street.....and all the error messages went away. BMW said that it's likely that the pot hole caused the sensors to be bumped and they reset after awhile so no need to bring it in unless the alerts pop back up. Car seemed to drive fine when I took it around the block today.

Some of the roads around us have atrocious pot holes and it's a bureaucratic mess to get it fixed. The main road between towns is a state road so the towns on either side of us don't want to fix them because they say it's the state's responsibility. And some of the potholes are really bad. A buddy hit one in his subaru the other week and it bent his rims. Fun times!

I do not have a pickup hah. I have a 2012 BMW X3 that I bought off my brother for next to nothing. I think it typically gets between 19 and 26mpg depending on city vs highway driving. The tank is something like 17-18 gallons, and I spend $50ish to top it up every 3-4 weeks... So it's not too bad. Will definitely get a more fuel efficient car/a hybrid when we need a new one.

Called a tow truck today since we live in a really hilly area and my car could barely make it up the hill to our house in limp mode Saturday night. Didn't think I'd make it to the repair shop. Had the same alerts yesterday when i went to get in the car to test it. Went to drive it down our driveway to get to the street since a tow truck probably wouldn't fit down our street.....and all the error messages went away. BMW said that it's likely that the pot hole caused the sensors to be bumped and they reset after awhile so no need to bring it in unless the alerts pop back up. Car seemed to drive fine when I took it around the block today.

Some of the roads around us have atrocious pot holes and it's a bureaucratic mess to get it fixed. The main road between towns is a state road so the towns on either side of us don't want to fix them because they say it's the state's responsibility. And some of the potholes are really bad. A buddy hit one in his subaru the other week and it bent his rims. Fun times!
To be clear, I wasn't trying to car-shame at all. It's just always funny to see the huge gulf between American and European automotive habits.

We have a lot of roads in the middle of the city that the city claims are private and they won't touch, even though they now get heavy traffic. These things are craters and I've twice seen a car hit one and break their axle.

I drove my wife to the hospital when she was in labor and tried my best to avoid all potholes but it was like running through a minefield hah.

Kev isn't allowed outside of the house.

Well you’ll feel at home next time you’re in Notts. Since the council have been going, and finally went, bust the roads have been let go to hell. It was like being a passenger in a car driven over washboard last time I was home.

Well you’ll feel at home next time you’re in Notts. Since the council have been going, and finally went, bust the roads have been let go to hell. It was like being a passenger in a car driven over washboard last time I was home.
I'll probably be back there this summer so that'll be fun!

I drove my wife to the hospital when she was in labor and tried my best to avoid all potholes but it was like running through a minefield hah.

Kev isn't allowed outside of the house.
Have you heard of “catios”? You could do something like that for Kev. Or maybe an enclosed prison yard type thing. He’s doing yeoman’s work. A breath of fresh air might be in order.

Back