Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Have you looked at Ryhtmik subs? More musical than SVS and their 12” isn’t much larger than your cylinder.

I like SVS, knew one of the founders, but music is a weak point with them.
I have, but sadly they’re too large for my space. Also, when I emailed asking about simultaneous speaker level and LFE input they ghosted me. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I just spent almost 30 minutes watching a factory video for the SME Model 60 turntable. It’s one of the highest performing turntables available in the market and it sells for about US$80,000. It is a mechanical engineer’s dream in 110 lbs of machined metal.

Still, for 80K, I’m good with what I’ve got!

I just spent almost 30 minutes watching a factory video for the SME Model 60 turntable. It’s one of the highest performing turntables available in the market and it sells for about US$80,000. It is a mechanical engineer’s dream in 110 lbs of machined metal.

Still, for 80K, I’m good with what I’ve got!
Arrrrrre youuuuUUUU?

In unrelated news I'm heading over to a new high end local I didn't know existed until two weeks ago that have both a Levinson 5805 and a Luxman 509x set up in their listening rooms.

DRUMS.... DRUMS IN THE DEEP

Arrrrrre youuuuUUUU?

In unrelated news I'm heading over to a new high end local I didn't know existed until two weeks ago that have both a Levinson 5805 and a Luxman 509x set up in their listening rooms.

I mean, if I won the lottery, it might show up in my new listening room. But in the version of reality where $80K could go to a kid’s college fund instead, yeah I’m good!

What was surprising was that in the measurements, it is not dramatically better for more than 10X the price.

But, honestly I have not seen any other turntable with more meticulous build quality. It is built like a mission-critical aerospace component. Frankly, much more expensive turntables look shoddy in comparison.

Arrrrrre youuuuUUUU?

giphy.gif

Since people were talking about subs, is there an ideal place to put a sub within a room?
Acoustically, the best approach is a sub crawl, which is absurd but works.

You set up your sub in the listening position and then, while playing a test tone, move around the room with your head a couple feet off the ground and determine where it sounds most well-integrated. That is where the sub should go for best performance at the listening position.

Or, like me, you shove it in a corner because that's the only place you've got.

Back