Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Since people were talking about subs, is there an ideal place to put a sub within a room?
My understanding, unless you are doing multiple is that you want to put it where there is a deficit in the bass. You want to send a pulsing bass beat to the sub and walk around the room. Whereever it sounds best (I think) is where the sub is supposed to go.

I am just talking about what I have read and heard as I am a loooooong way from being at a point where I want to broach the subject with the wife.

My understanding, unless you are doing multiple is that you want to put it where there is a deficit in the bass. You want to send a pulsing bass beat to the sub and walk around the room. Whereever it sounds best (I think) is where the sub is supposed to go.

I am just talking about what I have read and heard as I am a loooooong way from being at a point where I want to broach the subject with the wife.

Almost the same but I’d heard you put it where to sit to listen initially and then check. Also to get low down to the ground to judge, hence “the crawl”.

Almost the same but I’d heard you put it where to sit to listen initially and then check. Also to get low down to the ground to judge, hence “the crawl”.
Yeah, I’m not clear. You start with the sub near the mains. The idea is that when you place it that is where the dip in the room is and where it should be placed.

But if you can’t do this for whatever reason behind, or behind and outside, the main speaker definitely works very well too.
Yeah. I don’t think when I get there that I’ll be allowed to place it where it belongs. We’ll see though, especially if I go with something like the rel classic which would be my preferenceZ

Honestly that’s an after having cables sorted problem. My plan is phono next year (there is some difference in the dacs and I think the marantz is slightly better but not enough to want to compromise the set up or add a full on pre), then speakers (klipsch is in the front but am curious about the Leaks and possibly super dentons) then a turntable…. Then cables… then I may seek out a super transparent speaker for classical then a sub, maybe.

Yeah, I’m not clear. You start with the sub near the mains. The idea is that when you place it that is where the dip in the room is and where it should be placed.
You put the sub in the listening position (ie where you would sit) and then crawl around listening for the best sound. Then the sub goes in that spot.

I guess the sound waves bounce more or less the same way in reverse.

Yeah. I don’t think when I get there that I’ll be allowed to place it where it belongs. We’ll see though, especially if I go with something like the rel classic which would be my preferenceZ

Honestly that’s an after having cables sorted problem. My plan is phono next year (there is some difference in the dacs and I think the marantz is slightly better but not enough to want to compromise the set up or add a full on pre), then speakers (klipsch is in the front but am curious about the Leaks and possibly super dentons) then a turntable…. Then cables… then I may seek out a super transparent speaker for classical then a sub, maybe.

Yeah I can’t do that either because the TZero was as big as I was willing to risk in the apartment and it doesn’t work with REL wireless bridge. I also have no room either side of my speakers so it’s in the gap between the wall and my right speaker. Gotta say properly dialed it still sounds absolutely fantastic!

Yeah I can’t do that either because the TZero was as big as I was willing to risk in the apartment and it doesn’t work with REL wireless bridge. I also have no room either of my speakers so it’s in the gap between the wall and my right speaker. Gotta say properly dialed it still sounds absolutely fantastic!
Yeah, I figure it won’t matter too much because DIRAC

As someone with a completely analogue chain it’s also not that much of a deal. All that optimises things but I think it’s getting the crossover, volume and phase set perfectly that really makes or breaks how your sub sounds.
If I can convince the wife to go floorstanders when the time comes, I may bypass the Dirac for turntable listening. It really depends on how close to ideal she will allow me to get. I will fully engage her in that process though to hopefully convince her.

Just wanted to circle back to say I've been listening to vinyl with headphones a lot more as of late, and really enjoying it. Entirely different presentation - almost like yet another format if you listen to the same record on the same table headphones vs speakers/amp.

Also, the Magni is a hell of a headphone amp at its price.

I'm *super* happy with the bass extension on the Fortes, so right now I have them directly wired. But I have been eyeballing a REL T/9x since it has both speaker level and LFE inputs and separate volume controls for each, so it would work nicely in my dual-environment setup.
Don’t sleep on the REL Classic 98 either.. I would imagine it as a perfect match for the Fortes.

giphy.gif
Hey man I've had the same amp for EIGHT YEARS.

Every one of you that's had the same amp in your system since 2016 please put your hand up.

Hey man I've had the same amp for EIGHT YEARS.

Every one of you that's had the same amp in your system since 2016 please put your hand up.

The turntable is the only component still in my system since 2018 and I’ve not bought anything other than consumables for 18 months….

That was a mad 4 and a half years…

The turntable is the only component still in my system since 2018 and I’ve not bought anything other than consumables for 18 months….

That was a mad 4 and a half years…

Funnily enough that 4 and half years began approximately 3 months after I started foruming…

Damn bad influences the lot of you 😂

Back