Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Anyone have opinions on Nagaoka MP-110 or other Nagaoka carts vs the Grado Opus 3?
I have the MP-300 but have not used a Grado Opus 3. The MP-300 will stay in my permanent rotation, perhaps with the MP-500 stylus upgrade. It’s best MM cartridge I’ve heard (although they technically say it’s a MI).

Any suggestions on the best way to clean an Ortofon Blue needle? My apt is EXTREMELY dusty and it seems like most of that dust ends up on my stylus.

I have this and it works ok but it's not great - Stylus Cleaning Brush

TIA​

I know Ortofon says to not use solvents on their styli, but I find that simple distilled water on a stylus brush like yours cleans the stylus as well as anything. It has not harmed my 2M Blue, but YMMV.

Soundsmith recommends lowering the stylus into Blu-Tack, but I have not tried it. Some use little squares of magic eraser. I’m wary of the ZeroDust after WallyTools’ reports of microscopic residue that can accumulate.

So I think I might have figured out my humming speakers in my office situation….changed the dimmer switch that’s in my kitchen for recessed lighting and when I turned the power off, all my office power went off. Seems that whoever wired the house decided to put the kitchen lighting on the same circuit as the office above it. I’d assume that this might have something to do with the noise coming through my office speakers. We may get a new circuit breaker box soonish and I’ll see if the electricians can put my office on a different circuit…

So I think I might have figured out my humming speakers in my office situation….changed the dimmer switch that’s in my kitchen for recessed lighting and when I turned the power off, all my office power went off. Seems that whoever wired the house decided to put the kitchen lighting on the same circuit as the office above it. I’d assume that this might have something to do with the noise coming through my office speakers. We may get a new circuit breaker box soonish and I’ll see if the electricians can put my office on a different circuit…
That should be easy enough, especially if you are doing the box any how, worst case scenario is they have to run a new line.

Should you not get the box/decide not to do a new circuit or just want to make the noise go away in the meantime, the dimmer switch itself may be the source of the noise.

I have the MP-300 but have not used a Grado Opus 3. The MP-300 will stay in my permanent rotation, perhaps with the MP-500 stylus upgrade. It’s best MM cartridge I’ve heard (although they technically say it’s a MI).

Yeah, I've just decided to move up the Nagaoka model line, probably to the 150 which can use the 200's stylus. I was looking around a bit since the 110's inner groove tracking has been bothering me, but it seems the 150 tracks fine and for my taste you just can't beat Nagaoka's tonality.

Any suggestions on the best way to clean an Ortofon Blue needle? My apt is EXTREMELY dusty and it seems like most of that dust ends up on my stylus.

I have this and it works ok but it's not great - Stylus Cleaning Brush

TIA​

Go to the local music supply store and get Moongel blue sticky drum-damping pads. It's apparently basically the same as an ONZOW ZeroDust but is only like $10. I've been using it and it works beautifully. Magic Erasers do not work very well in my experience.

I know Ortofon says to not use solvents on their styli, but I find that simple distilled water on a stylus brush like yours cleans the stylus as well as anything. It has not harmed my 2M Blue, but YMMV.

Soundsmith recommends lowering the stylus into Blu-Tack, but I have not tried it. Some use little squares of magic eraser. I’m wary of the ZeroDust after WallyTools’ reports of microscopic residue that can accumulate.
ZeroDust controversy update:

In short, don’t use a ZeroDust more than 3 years old.

This stuff? Do you just keep a ball of it by the table?
Blu-Tack Reusable Adhesive 75g Amazon.com
Do you store it in anything? Someone show me what y’all are doing.
I have a little pad of Blu-Tack that I've flattened to the backside of a CD-R. I just set the whole thing on a platter and then dip the stylus like you would with a ZeroDust.

Back