Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

This is coming a bit out of left field for me, but I've found myself routinely coming back to look at the Planar 3 Anniversary edition. I think what's partially brought this on is the fact that I came close to pulling the trigger on a (semi) local VPI Classic, but ultimately its size is just too damn big for the space I'm working with. It's got to be a lower profile deck, and further up the VPI line, well, that's just not what they do.

There's something about the Rega being (effectively) fully maxed out, having the PSU, and I've always been drawn to the fact that their carts on their arms effectively have no room for error with setup - 3 screws! I know the downside is having to trade the cart in when the stylus is up, not the most cost effective route. It also looks-wise would be perfect for my living room setup. I also realize in US dollars, it's not the best bang for your buck.

And when bang for your buck enters the conversation, there's that Orbit Theory in the back of my head...

And then, it's like, anything wrong with my current setup?? 😜

My new Darlington pair came in yesterday for the MP-7/SU-7 and got it setup quickly before a show last night. Right out of the box with the new Songbird cart and it's already like hearing new things for the first time - super expansive and soundstage is just unlike something I've had at home before.

Now, the only real downside is I do have to send the MP-7 back since they forgot to include the mono switch so just getting a little taste of things at the moment and eager to dive into the new setup some more.

I received my cover for my P8 from J Display Case. They do custom jobs, so I sized it to fit around the acrylic stand I used. Super clear acrylic, no hazing, fits great. First time I had a cover like this. His lead times are about 6-7 months, but I’m very happy with the work.

View attachment 179363View attachment 179364
Make sure you have the right cleaning fluid for it. Some cleaners, like Windex, can haze or craze the acrylic over time.

One of the best tips I got with covers is similar to car paint. Mild haze and scratching can be improved by applying a small amount toothpaste with a mildly damp cloth, let it sit for 10 and then polish it off with a microfibre cloth.
Yeah this is the stuff I use for the arcade machines. Toothpaste is a mild abrasive, same idea.

Amazon product ASIN B002UD0GIG

So I brought my NAD375BEE to a local shop, no avail, only option left is to ship it to a NAD service center. Shipping with insurance looks like it will be around $60 each way at the cheapest, plus I'll have to buy a box for this big thing with packaging, plus the $80 deposit just to get someone to look at it...so even if they end up saying it's dead I'll still be out $200 at the very least and have to wait 6-8 weeks anyway.

Part of me wants to just say fuck it, buy a new amp and throw this guy in storage to maybe send to NAD down the line. Obviously something around the $300-$350 area wont sound as good, but I'm starting to lean towards going that route. What would I be looking for around that price point? I know theres an Onkyo people like.

Last edited:
Used… you have a few more options like this Marantz PM6006.

So I brought my NAD375BEE to a local shop, no avail, only option left is to ship it to a NAD service center. Shipping with insurance looks like it will be around $60 each way at the cheapest, plus I'll have to buy a box for this big thing and packaging, plus the $80 deposit just to get someone to look at it...even if they end up saying it's dead I'll still be out $200 at least and have to wait 6-8 weeks.

Part of me wants to just say fuck it, buy a new amp and throw this guy in storage to maybe send to NAD down the line. Obviously something around the $300-$350 area wont sound as good, but I'm starting to lean towards going that route. What would I be looking for around that price point? I know theres an Onkyo people like.
Have you tried pulling out the jumpers that connect the preamp to the power amp? If the unit powers on with the halves disconnected, it may point to a problem in just the power amp section. Of course, try this with no speakers connected.

Alright guys.. Help. If you're me and you've got the VPI Classic (detailed) and JC3+ (super super detailed) and you want a complimentary cart, something detailed but warm, what do you do? Let's say under $3000 assuming there's some sort of MC rebuild plan or MM stylus replacement. I have an idea what I'm going to do but I'd love any thoughts or suggestions.

Have you tried pulling out the jumpers that connect the preamp to the power amp? If the unit powers on with the halves disconnected, it may point to a problem in just the power amp section. Of course, try this with no speakers connected.
Yeah I did all sorts of cable related troubleshooting and the shop guy told me all the things he checked (which went over my head). At this point it's either the NAD service guys fix it or it's kaputt.

Alright guys.. Help. If you're me and you've got the VPI Classic (detailed) and JC3+ (super super detailed) and you want a complimentary cart, something detailed but warm, what do you do? Let's say under $3000 assuming there's some sort of MC rebuild plan or MM stylus replacement. I have an idea what I'm going to do but I'd love any thoughts or suggestions.

Im guessing CAN$?

I’d be very tempted by the Hana Umami blue at around there. Also the Ortofon Black MCs. The Quintet is definitely below that, the Cadenza is around there but might be a tad more. Also the soundsmiths have to be in contention. As an outsider I’ve heard interesting things about the van den Hul frog, plus it’s bright green….

Micro Benz all the way. I know a guy that can save you $$$

Back