Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Now. Informal poll. This thing inexplicably doesn't come with a dust cover because everything is stupid and money is meaningless.
So do I go with this style?

View attachment 173755

Or this style?

View attachment 173756
I vote option 2. I feel like option 1 is too finicky and leaves more room for accidentally hitting the tonearm assembly.

Now. Informal poll. This thing inexplicably doesn't come with a dust cover because everything is stupid and money is meaningless.
So do I go with this style?

View attachment 173755

Or this style?

View attachment 173756
The second one. I have an order in with a guy who does custom acrylic covers to spec for my P8. Same style as the second image.

@Mather Second one. But I don’t like either.

What about draping a pillowcase over it when not in use? Takes care of the dust problem without spending a ton of money. Plus you don’t have the hassle of dealing with the dust cover at all. I hated having a a non hinged dust cover.

You could even get a design/color that goes with your decor.

Congrats!

I'm highly not sure what I'm going to do at this point. My first choice was option 2 but it will be just HUGE when it's off the table, and then I have to put it somewhere and it'll take up like half my diningroom table.... still deciding.

Other thing is, as far as I can tell this comes with a threaded spindle and yet it seems to ship with the VPI weight, rather than the screw down clamp. It's easy enough to swap out but I can't figure out what advantage the weight would possibly have over the screw down, and why they would include it instead.

I'm highly not sure what I'm going to do at this point. My first choice was option 2 but it will be just HUGE when it's off the table, and then I have to put it somewhere and it'll take up like half my diningroom table.... still deciding.

Other thing is, as far as I can tell this comes with a threaded spindle and yet it seems to ship with the VPI weight, rather than the screw down clamp. It's easy enough to swap out but I can't figure out what advantage the weight would possibly have over the screw down, and why they would include it instead.
With the screw down you have to stop the motor to change records/sides. With the weight, if you're like me, you just keep the table spinning. Depends on your modus operandi...I forgot to add, they supply a washer to use with the screw down; I don't use it with the weight. Couldn't figure if it made a difference or not.
I made my own plexi dust thingy but I mostly keep it off. Full cover is nice but as you said it's going to be huge and I just got tired of taking it on and off.

With the screw down you have to stop the motor to change records/sides. With the weight, if you're like me, you just keep the table spinning. Depends on your modus operandi...I forgot to add, they supply a washer to use with the screw down; I don't use it with the weight. Couldn't figure if it made a difference or not.
I made my own plexi dust thingy but I mostly keep it off. Full cover is nice but as you said it's going to be huge and I just got tired of taking it on and off.
Good call. I never really thought about that, I always stop so it doesn't bother me but that makes sense. I also have my own washers that I made for my current screw down, nice that they supply them though. Gunna call the store and get them to swap out the weight for the deluxe clamp.

Good call. I never really thought about that, I always stop so it doesn't bother me but that makes sense. I also have my own washers that I made for my current screw down, nice that they supply them though. Gunna call the store and get them to swap out the weight for the deluxe clamp.
I wouldn’t drop a record on a moving metal platter. You’d want to turn the motor off to flip either way.

I’m not convinced the VPI slip mat thingie is really meant to be used as a mat. I always thought it was a dust cover for the platter.

I wouldn’t drop a record on a moving metal platter. You’d want to turn the motor off to flip either way.

I’m not convinced the VPI slip mat thingie is really meant to be used as a mat. I always thought it was a dust cover for the platter.
Yeah I've been trying to figure out whether I'd use that as a mat. I've never used a mat so I think I will just end up using it for dust quite frankly.

@Mather Second one. But I don’t like either.

What about draping a pillowcase over it when not in use? Takes care of the dust problem without spending a ton of money. Plus you don’t have the hassle of dealing with the dust cover at all. I hated having a a non hinged dust cover.

You could even get a design/color that goes with your decor.

Congrats!
I do something similar with my VPI table and my Luxman. Worked for years. I’d recommend trying it before buying the cover. I use a woven shawl that’s quite attractive.

I use a Pro-Ject weight with my Traveler; the spindle is not threaded. I like using a weight because it takes little time to remove and install.

Yeah option one kinda sits around the black metal top plate, not really a groove, but it wouldn't go anywhere... I don't think...
I’d try the cloth until you see it in person and use it for a bit. When I do that I tend to give up on my “over engineered” ideas. I dislike the look of 2 with the two levels of isolation feet. My vote is for option 1.

That is one badass looking turntable though. Congrats!

I’d try the cloth until you see it in person and use it for a bit. When I do that I tend to give up on my “over engineered” ideas. I dislike the look of 2 with the two levels of isolation feet. My vote is for option 1.

That is one badass looking turntable though. Congrats!
Yeah I very much hope I can do without an ISO platform due to the iso feet on this thing. But my floor is spongy 1960s thin board hardwood, you even THINK of walking past my table right now and it'll skip. So I suspect I'm going to need the platform at some point. And yes it will definitely look like a huge bulky box if that happens.

Back