Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I'm helping my girlfriend put together her first setup. She wants something minimal, I'm thinking a turntable with a built in preamp that can be bypassed later, and a set of powered speakers.

So far i'm thinking either an ATLP-120 or a U-turn, and for speakers I like the Audioengine A2+, the bluetooth is a big bonus for her.

Any thoughts or other options you guys like better in the beginner price range?

I'm helping my girlfriend put together her first setup. She wants something minimal, I'm thinking a turntable with a built in preamp that can be bypassed later, and a set of powered speakers.

So far i'm thinking either an ATLP-120 or a U-turn, and for speakers I like the Audioengine A2+, the bluetooth is a big bonus for her.

What's the total budget? Are you looking at price per component or something else?

I'd advise against an onboard preamp and just get a cheaper external preamp or integrated amplifier with a phono in. I have a uturn and it's capable of a lot as you upgrade the surrounding components. I just wouldn't lock in with an on-board phono.

What's the total budget? Are you looking at price per component or something else?

I'd advise against an onboard preamp and just get a cheaper external preamp or integrated amplifier with a phono in. I have a uturn and it's capable of a lot as you upgrade the surrounding components. I just wouldn't lock in with an on-board phono.
Yeah that's not a bad idea. I don't believe she has a strict budget, just cheap. She was going to get an LP-60 before asked for my help, to give you an idea of the price-range.

Maybe we'll check out some thrift stores when the covid wave dives down.

For about $500 this would sound great as a starting point also giving your girlfriend some flexibility if she wants to up her game a little with a cart, platter, pre and speakers. All these components can be repurposed to other spaces for streaming and what not, they won't be a waste.

Just my opinion of course ;)
Orbit Basic (Choice of color) - $200.00

Schitt Mani Pre - $129.00

Edifier R1700BTs - $180.00
Amazon product ASIN B0886B1TWC
I've had or have all three of these components and they're well worth the cost ;)

Audiolab 6000A has been purchased, Wharfedale Linton purchase is imminent. Will banana plugs work for both components? Looking at these from all the brand recommendations on here:
Amazon product ASIN B01N49LG43
I'll preface this by saying that I have no first hand knowledge, but just looking at photos online they both appear to allow banana plugs and I cannot imagine in 2022 that any new components wouldn't so I'm sure you'd be fine. But maybe someone else has better input that isn't based on them googling "Linton input" and then zooming in the image with their fingers. Which I'm sure you also already did.

Audiolab 6000A has been purchased, Wharfedale Linton purchase is imminent. Will banana plugs work for both components? Looking at these from all the brand recommendations on here:
Amazon product ASIN B01N49LG43

That’s the exact cable I’m using to connect my PrimaLuna to the Lintons so it works perfect for the Lintons.

I'll preface this by saying that I have no first hand knowledge, but just looking at photos online they both appear to allow banana plugs and I cannot imagine in 2022 that any new components wouldn't so I'm sure you'd be fine. But maybe someone else has better input that isn't based on them googling "Linton input" and then zooming in the image with their fingers. Which I'm sure you also already did.
That’s the exact cable I’m using to connect my PrimaLuna to the Lintons so it works perfect for the Lintons.
Thanks guys. I've never actually used banana plugs before so I wasn't sure how to tell just by looking at the ports.

Thanks guys. I've never actually used banana plugs before so I wasn't sure how to tell just by looking at the ports.

Ah banana plugs just plug into the hole in the middle of the binding post. Sometimes you have to take off a little button like dust cover to find it.

Just one thing is that these are a little different to normal banana plugs. They work in the same port but fit differently. Normal banana plugs clip in. With these you have the sheath unscrewed so they’re thin. You put them in and they’re loose. As you screw the sheath on they expand and lock in place.

Also little tip. They sell those cables individually so make sure to order a quantity of 2 to cover both speakers.

Last edited:
Hey all
Finally getting around to upgrading my set up.

First move was replacing my old home cinema receiver with an NAD C316V2BEE

So once that arrives in the next day or two I’ll have

Turntable: Technics SL-D2 (with Nagaoka MP-110
Blue Jeans LC-1 cable
Phono - Project Phono Box E
Amp - NAD 316
Speakers - Onkyo SKF-4600 (old floor standing speakers)

So, my questions are:

Uograde path from here - I’m assuming the best order and rough budget to keep everything balanced is 1. Phono stage (around $500 AUD) 2. Speakers (around $1-1.5k AUD) and then 3. Turntable/ cartridge (around $1.5-2k AUD)

Or is there a better upgrade order/way to spend my money?

If the phono stage is next, what’s the recommendation? I can get a MoFi Studiophono for about $530 AUD - is that the best option in the price range (I remember.they were recommended a few years ago) or is there something better?

Thanks!

Hey all
Finally getting around to upgrading my set up.

First move was replacing my old home cinema receiver with an NAD C316V2BEE

So once that arrives in the next day or two I’ll have

Turntable: Technics SL-D2 (with Nagaoka MP-110
Blue Jeans LC-1 cable
Phono - Project Phono Box E
Amp - NAD 316
Speakers - Onkyo SKF-4600 (old floor standing speakers)

So, my questions are:

Uograde path from here - I’m assuming the best order and rough budget to keep everything balanced is 1. Phono stage (around $500 AUD) 2. Speakers (around $1-1.5k AUD) and then 3. Turntable/ cartridge (around $1.5-2k AUD)

Or is there a better upgrade order/way to spend my money?

If the phono stage is next, what’s the recommendation? I can get a MoFi Studiophono for about $530 AUD - is that the best option in the price range (I remember.they were recommended a few years ago) or is there something better?

Thanks!

The current phono stage recommended at that price is the Darlington Labs MM6. It’s USD$329 (AUS$460ish) before delivery. There’s a review and the tour thread for reference on here too.

The current phono stage recommended at that price is the Darlington Labs MM6. It’s USD$329 (AUS$460ish) before delivery. There’s a review and the tour thread for reference on here too.

Thanks Joe!

Back